Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
Or....maybe they had a sweet TT setup like this one:

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6bangerBOOM View Post
So I had the opportunity to enter my first car show this past weekend and had an awesome experience (besides the sunburn). When I pulled up, though, I was the only late model Camaro there and I was instructed by the staff to park next to a row of five 'Stangs. I got out and introduced myself and they turned out to be really awesome people! Super friendly and very interested in my ride.

However, I did notice something that I wondered if any of you had experienced: egregiously overestimated rear wheel horsepower! A v6 guy who was bone stock and still had his temporary paper license plate from the dealer claimed he had 350rwhp. He claimed this right after I estimated that my 6 shooter was getting 270-280ish when my little spray bottle is off. I kinda wondered if they thought I was stupid! Anybody else ever experience this nonsense?

Again they couldn't have been a nicer group of folks, taking in a lonely Camaro as one of their own and all.
I've been to car shows and haven't had any negative experience with Mustang or Challenger owners, as you said it's been the opposite. I'm not one of those Mustang or Challenger haters, I would like to have all 3. I also don't have anything to say negative about them except that I think the Camaro is the best looking car.

The negative experiences I've had at car shows is from the owners of old/vintage car owners. I had one old dude that asked me why I had my car in a car show since it's brand new. I told him there are several Mustang's and Challenger's there also, he didn't say anything else to me. Personally I like checking out the new Mustang's and Challenger's at car shows to get ideas of things I would like to change in my car.

Regarding HP I've heard all kinds of HP ratings that I doubt if they are true. It seems that a lot of guys think crank HP is the same as RWHP. I don't think much of it, let them believe what they want. The guys that bug the hell out of me are on this forum, someone will post up their dyno results and then get posts saying it's not accurate, something is wrong with the dyno, it's the wrong dyno, etc. I had my SS dyno'ed after a professional tune and it measured 418RWHP, I commented that on a previous thread about HP and I got the doubter's telling me it's not accurate, that I couldn't have that much HP with the mods I have on the car. My opinion is that it's entirely accurate and is what it measured.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
RatedZ

Drives: Camaro SS
I own a 07 Mustang (and a 13 Camaro SS and 98 Z28) and when asked about the mods or horsepower, my response is "I don't know, let's go to the track and find out".
RatedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #18
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets77 View Post
I rest my case.
Lol that's the best reply this week
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
I would have asked for the dyno sheet or some kind of proof that it had that kind of whp. I usually call people on their bs or ignorance but im not rude about cause not everyone that goes to car shows are not life long car enthusiast so they just might not know or just believe what the salesperson or dealer told them. It always rubs me the wrong way when some one is outright lying about their car and what It has when it is obvious it doesn't have such and such. Just makes car people look bad IMO. I don't mind ignorance but not flat out lying.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
The guy wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything, but he was a hard core modder and should have known this. [He also said he'd originally bought a '13 GT but hated the "twisty half-shaft feeling" so he swapped for a V6 '10.] I put this statement in brackets because it doesn't make any damn sense. Hell, I love my V6, but I'd take a SS over it even if the SS had a chain-drive! I didn't call him on it, but it made me think. Just a little white lie that was told the way I see. Still cool people, but that ford 6banger ain't puttin' 350 to the road. And seriously, who takes a V6 over a V8 because of the drive train. Any of you other V6 folks chose a LS/LT because you just had to have that AY6 or the 6L50?
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #21
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I'm the president of a local car club where I live so I deal with these guys on a daily basis. Most of them won't even look at me bc I'm in a Camaro but some are nice. They do tend to pump their cars up quite a bit. Idk if its an insecurity thing or they really believe their cars are that fast. Had a guy tell me online the other day that his friend did a 9.9 sec pass in the 1/4 with his 97 Cobra n/a 4.6L stock motor. I called b*llshit and he never responded. I think they hope we are stupid and don't know they are full of it.

Glad you had a good time tho.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #22
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
He mightve meant In an 1/8th mile pass angie

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #23
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedrop View Post
He mightve meant In an 1/8th mile pass angie
He said 1/4 and never came back to recant so I'm going off what he said.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Everybody is guilty of this.

Here's a Camaro5 vendor that's advertising a 700+hp ZL1 kit that only makes 533whp.

700+ H.P. with bolt ons and a good
Old 10-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #25
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Those kinds of people are everywhere in all kinds of cars. I had someone tell me once after seeing my Boss 302 that he bought a 1976 Ford F-150 new in '76, and it came with the Boss 302 motor. I really had to fight the urge to tell him the Boss motor was discontinued after 1970. Or the guy that told me way back in the eighties that you could order a new SVO Mustang with the Boss 429 motor from the factory.

The level of car stupidity is astounding, and it just keeps getting better! Or is that worse?

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #26
sizl1
Account Not Suspеndеd

Drives: ZL1
Ricers are even worse. Some guy argued that a Civic SI could take on a GT500 because it's weight to power ratio is 15 compared to 7 for the GT500. In other words he got it backwards - the higher the number the worse the performance, but people will happily put in writing that they are idiots.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #27
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2212 View Post
if you look in any group of people you will find idiots. stupid doesn't discriminate.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This is so true.
TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Since you were the lone Camaro, it's also possible that they were just messing with you.

I would attribute it to flexing; a lot of car guys lie about what they have under the hood in a public setting.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote