Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Ahdidah10

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Question Aftermarket upgrades and factory warranty

I noticed that the forum has very knowledgeable people. A lot of people are talking about adding aftermarket performance parts for more rwhp. My question is if someone knows if it will affect the factory warranty? Will it be void because of this or only void for what work has been done? I want to put in an exhaust system because I was rearended and the exhaust will have to be replaced anyway. Anyone know?
Old 06-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
my2010camaross
ss

Drives: all black ss
im asked this question a few days back and i aswell recieved no responses.
my2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
There are some mods that simply void the warranty for that portion of the car. For instance if you modify exhaust then clearly GM will not cover any exhaust related issues. But if you had some other problem then you would be fine. As long as the failure is not linked to the modification you have made there is no issue. Now with guys that start cracking open the engines they open to door to all kinds of issues. As to the exhaust question you have, if you want it covered under warranty you should replace it with the factory system. Generally the insurance company will do this.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
If you search, you'll find some threads on modifications and warranty. Long story short, if you replace an OEM part with an aftermarket part like an exhaust, your warranty wouldn't apply as to that part. But if there is a failure, the dealer would be obligated to do repair work under warranty unless the aftermarket part caused the failure. That is per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Here is a useful link:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
but u better know your stuff cuz they will try to tell you that ur aftermarket mod caused the problem...so you have to prove otherwise

unless its blatanly obvious that it didnt...
Old 06-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahdidah10 View Post
I noticed that the forum has very knowledgeable people. A lot of people are talking about adding aftermarket performance parts for more rwhp. My question is if someone knows if it will affect the factory warranty? Will it be void because of this or only void for what work has been done? I want to put in an exhaust system because I was rearended and the exhaust will have to be replaced anyway. Anyone know?
They can't void your warranty, just deny a claim if the aftermarket part caused it issue that your claim is about.

Now in your case, if you really care about the warranty related to your exhaust, I would A) contact your dealer first and tell them what happened and get a list of GM approved exhaust (if there is one) and any advise they may have B) have it replaced by one of the approved exhaust systems C) keep ALL documentation including info on the wreak and damage to the exhaust, advise from your dealer, info on the exhaust that you put on along with when and who installed it.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareSS View Post
but u better know your stuff cuz they will try to tell you that ur aftermarket mod caused the problem...so you have to prove otherwise

+1

Remember, YOU must prove that the mods did not cause the problem. I have been told by lawyers, who have fought on behalf of the customer, that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is not worth the paper on which it's printed.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Ahdidah10

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Thanks guys that makes all good sense and is what I was kind of assuming. Like if the starter has issues it would not be related to the exhaust change over and should be covered still. Thank you for replying.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareSS View Post

This is the new GM. Customer service comes first
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
This is the new GM. Customer service comes first
We shall see...
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
It also depends on how good of terms you are on with your dealer. My 95 Z had aftermarket heads and a cam in it and I developed an intake leak I think it was, and I had them do it under warranty! The mechanic pulled the intake off and WHOA, look at these ports!LOL
Old 06-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahdidah10 View Post
Look up my post (#2) and a copy of the warranty here;
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25427

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
well if you get performance mods from the dealer than it good. But usually it will just void that specific part, but a lot times if covered by the aftermarket company. Now heres an example. They will void the warranty for everything behind something in the system. So lets say you get exhaust theres nothing behind it in the system so they will just not cover your exhaust. But if you get headers then everything behind that will not be covered so your cats, exahust. If you did a charger well then the whole motor. But like others have said they have to prove that it did it. But they would probably have an easier time proving it then you trying to disprove it.

My opinion, if I do mods they will be GM performance parts at the dealer while I have the warranty. Now once its up then i am thinking about doing a charger. Plus wait till i got the car paid off and its mine, i just dont think its the smartest thing to dump a bunch of money into something you dont own.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #14
ItIsWhatItIs

Drives: #5 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Please correct me if I'm wrong...I went to Indy last September and sat in the seminar with almost everyone connected to the Camaro at that seminar. I remember someone saying that if you had GMPP parts used in your mod and, if it was installed by a certified GM mechanic at a GM dealership it would not affect the warranty at all.
ItIsWhatItIs is offline   Reply With Quote