Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Arrow GM begins testing turbo four-cylinder engine in large cars

Quote:
Spies in Sweden snapped photos of a prototype that appears to be a next-generation Buick LaCrosse, but there's more going on here than meets the eye. According to a check of the prototype's license plate information, the car is registered to Saab and was built by Holden. The car is also listed as having a 260 hp engine four-cylinder — the type GM officials have hinted might show up in the Pontiac G8 and other large cars.

GM vice chairman Bob Lutz told Leftlane that such a model was under development at the 2008 New York Auto Show, and these photos appear to be confirmation. According to the car's wrap sheet, it's powered by a 260 horsepower engine and weighs about 300 pounds less than the Pontiac G8 GT.

Lutz indicated that the Holden-derived Chinese market Buick Park Avenue would also be power by the same 260 horsepower 2.0L turbo four found in the Pontiac Solstice GXP, Saturn Sky Red Line, Chevrolet HHR SS and Cobalt SS, due to China's graduated taxation system which drastically increase on engines larger than 2.0L.

Despite the engine being in a car that is "seemingly way too big," Lutz says the engine "[feels] just great."

The combination of the smaller displacement engine — which is a third of the size of the Pontiac GT's 6.0L V8 — and lighter curb weight could see the these sedans post fuel economy numbers in the low 30s.

With ever-rising fuel prices and stricter CAFE regulations, it might not be long until we see a four-cylinder powered G8 on our shores. from http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-four-...prototype.html

Hrm.. Camaro engine bay bound as well per Lutz's earlier comments??
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
If I was a betting man. I'd bet the house this 4 Banger will be in the Camaro.

Althought I would never buy one...only because I can afford the V8 and want the performance and sound of the V8.

With the price of gas hitting $4 a gallon today at our local Chevron...Im sure theres Hundreds of thousands of people who love to drive this camaro with a 260hp 4 banger getting 30+MPG...Hell i might just buy one for the wife.

And GM knows this as well...so prepair yourself for this undeniable event.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
260 hp is just about perfect for a car like the Lucerne, and bottom line G8s. As I've said before, if this lets us keep our RWD V8s, bring on the turbo 4s!
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
2xtrbo

Drives: BMW 335 Cabrio
Like it or not, high strung turbo 4's are the future. Look at the WRX, Evo, Audis, Solstice. Then you have the GT-R which chose not to go with a V8 and look at what it did, threw down a record at the Nurburgring and 3.2 to 60.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Hrm.. Camaro engine bay bound as well per Lutz's earlier comments??
Maybe not at launch...but I'll bet everything that it gets it within 3 years of release.

If it cut weight by 300 lbs....and it's still pumping out 260 hp...Well, hell! I'm happy with that!!

(Oh, and btw...have you heard the Cobalt SS, yet? It sounds NOTHING like your typical high-revving, whining, pissed off bees-nest 4 banger. It's more like a throaty 6 from the vid I watched....hmmmmm.)
Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
SSideways

Drives: 99 Chevy Camaro
Hope so Dragon, 260hp and 30+ mpg is not worth embarrassing the camaro name.
SSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSideways View Post
Hope so Dragon, 260hp and 30+ mpg is not worth embarrassing the camaro name.
There will be nothing embarassing about kicking other cars asses.

There will be nothing embarassing about being able to continue to sell Camaros because they meet CAFE requirements by having some models that get great fuel economy.

I don't know if I'd want a turbo 4, I think even at my low budget I'd still want the NA V6, but I'd thank all those folks who take one for the team when they buy the turbo 4. The VW GTI's 260hp turbo 4 makes most of its mounds of torque at a respectable 1900 rpm, IIRC, so a similar GM turbo 4 should be a decent drive.

As I've mentioned in a couple v6 vs. v8 threads...all these small-displacement Camaros will not only help Camaro's overall average MPG meet CAFE requirements, but they will be a lot of fun to buy used in great condition in a few years for that engine you've been building in your garage!
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xtrbo View Post
Like it or not, high strung turbo 4's are the future. Look at the WRX, Evo, Audis, Solstice. Then you have the GT-R which chose not to go with a V8 and look at what it did, threw down a record at the Nurburgring and 3.2 to 60.
I agree with this post regarding FI'ing small displacement engines in the future. It's my understanding the smaller the bore the better/cleaner the burn, hence lower emissions and higher efficiency. If you could cram more air and fuel into a smaller engine and get the same power, why not? I'm a big fan of V8s, and plan on getting a V8 model, however I don't think options like these in these cars would be bad at all. They do well in the cars posted above so that's something to keep in mind too.

As far as the GT-R, I'm not sure that any numbers we've gotten from Nissan are any good from the 'Ring. From the articles I've been reading and posts I've found here and there, the astounding times that that car has been claimed to have have been on an over-boosted engine (compared to the tune that's supposed to be in the production model) and also run on shaved race tires. I know I haven't read every article on the car, but the last one in one of the big rags' was still really positive in it's favor. Yeah, yeah, it's AWD, but hey, it uses it to it's fullest and who can argue that's a bad thing?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
what I like about the ecotecs are that they are not high strung 4 bangers. Typically, they keep hp and torque within 10% or so. Which means that they make torque and not revs, and makes them much less annoying to listen to.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
what I like about the ecotecs are that they are not high strung 4 bangers. Typically, they keep hp and torque within 10% or so. Which means that they make torque and not revs, and makes them much less annoying to listen to.
LMFAO! What; you don't like the sound of 2-cycle lawn equipment?!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
SSideways

Drives: 99 Chevy Camaro
Holy Cow, yeah I know that, what I meant was that It'd hurt my heart if half the camaros I saw around town had that mid 90s honda civic lawn mower sound. If they sound like throaty V6s, then I'm all for it! I'll still get my V8 though.
SSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #12
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Oh yeah, I TOTALLY agree about the sound. It would be a shame for a Camaro to sound ricey or even German. My VW's 5 cylinder sounds so cheezy, not ricey, just like some little British car you'd see in an old movie or something...
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
I’m pretty sure that the turbo four is destined for countries that impose a displacement based tax (including China and most of Europe). It makes roughly the same power as the port injected 3.6 but will be significantly cheaper to buy & own.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #14
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
Sorry bout that wrong forum....

Last edited by MCPOAJ; 04-25-2008 at 09:42 PM.
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote