Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
gelboy1015

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, MKIII Supras
BMR 1" drop springs here. I love mine. Perfect stance. I only rub the front GFX lip every once in a while when Im not paying attention. Rides like stock to me.
gelboy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
Chainsaw6

Drives: Black/Black 2SS-RS
I'm also new to suspension mods. What exactly do you need? Do you need the springs, sway bars and bushings? Is there anything else I would need?
Chainsaw6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp View Post
What about for people looking at a 1 inch drop only? I have a splitter and do not want to go lower.
The 1" BMR lowering springs are good for anyone worried about ground clearance. They give the car a nice stance without sacrificing too much ground clearance.
Attached Images

BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw6 View Post
I'm also new to suspension mods. What exactly do you need? Do you need the springs, sway bars and bushings? Is there anything else I would need?
If you are looking to concentrate on handling then the sway bars, lowering springs, and bushings are a really good place to start. If you are going to concentrate on drag racing then toe rods, trailing arms, and bushings would be a better group of parts.

Let us know what you are planning on doing with the car.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Go with the Hotchkis setup, works awesome, priced right.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
chernmax
I Need a Volunteer!!!

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
I did this!!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233720
chernmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Video: Birth of a Lowering Spring: Inside Pedders Suspension
May 2, 2012 by Carter Jung

Birth of a Lowering Spring: Inside Pedders Suspension

Pedders Suspension is a brand that might be familiar to enthusiasts of the domestic aftermarket. For more than six years, Pedders has offered suspension components for Chevy Camaros, Ford Mustangs and Pontiac GTOs. What most don’t know is that the company is far from an upstart in the chassis game. Pedders Suspension has been in business in their home country of Australia for over 60 years, starting back in the mid-1950s rebuilding shock absorbers.

Headquartered in Keysborough, just outside of Melbourne in the state of Victoria, Pedders Suspension has a unique business model for their domestic market. Their products are distributed solely through franchised Pedders Suspension retailers, of which there are over 130 in Australia. Think Jiffy Lube, but for suspension needs that range from the inspection and alignment all the way to polyurethane bushings and coilover swaps.

Here in the U.S., Pedders’ business model is completely different, utilizing a more traditional distribution route. In their short time in the American market, Pedders’ products have been used by GM, Lingenfelter and Saleen. Pedders sells the gamut of chassis components, including coilovers, polyurethane bushings and CV shafts, but their core product is springs. In fact, Pedders likes to refer to their manufacturing facility as the “World’s Best Spring Plant.” While that’s up for interpretation, having witnessed the birth of a spring, firsthand, we can attest that quality is very much at the core of their values.

Here’s how Pedders Suspension springs are made:

Birth of a Pedders Spring - Step1

Step 1:
Pedders’ springs begin life as steel from BlueScope Steel, an Aussie company headquartered in Melbourne. Instead of sourcing cheaper materials from China or India, Pedders insists upon using steel that is ISO accredited.

Birth of a Lowering Spring: Inside Pedders Suspension - Step 2

Step 2:
For heating of the metal rods, Pedders relies on gas instead of electricity. With the latter, dips and irregularity in power can cause inconsistencies in the metal. Each rod is baked close to 980 degrees C.

Birth of a Lowering Spring: Inside Pedders Suspension - Step 3

Step 3:
After the steel is heated up to temperature, the glowing rod is then coiled around a mandrel. The solid steel mandrel does not flex or bow with repetitive use. Pedders has more than 100 different steel mandrels in varying shapes and sizes for varying applications.

Birth of a Lowering Spring: Inside Pedders Suspension - Step 4

Step 4:
The next stage in the spring production is quenching, a process in which the hot coiled steel is cooled by oil. The spring is still soft at this point, lacking any memory.

Birth of a Lowering Spring: Inside Pedders Suspension - Step 5

Step 5:
Once the spring is cooled, it goes back into the tempering furnace where the coils are cured. Temperatures are adjusted to suit the gauge of the wire—the thicker, the hotter.

Birth of a Lowering Spring: Inside Pedders Suspension - Step 6

Step 6:
After another cooling phase, each spring is ground to appropriate size and fitment.

Birth of a Lowering Spring: Inside Pedders Suspension - Step 7

Step 7:
For the final step in strengthening the steel, each spring is shot peened with military grade shot.

Birth of a Lowering Spring: Inside Pedders Suspension - Step 8

Step 8:
Pedders scrags 100 percent of their springs. Scragging is a quality-control process where each spring is fully compressed, testing its load for up to 2 mm in variance.

Birth of a Lowering Spring: Inside Pedders Suspension - Step 9

Step 9:
Before they are boxed and shipped around the world, the springs are powder coated. Powder coating gives a spring its brand-distinctive color and protects it from the elements.

Posted with the permission of R & T

They just happen to be ON SALE in a great suspension package. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230468
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #22
Gixxer 1000
Gixxer 1000

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS M6
I just ordered the Pfadt springs from APEX Motorsports.
Gixxer 1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #23
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
Pfadt is on my list.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #24
dcplus14

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS/Hurst
Currently looking at Pedders.
[AAC DRL LED's, AAC LED's for trunk, cabin, license plate, CAI Intake, RX Catch Can, Skip shift eliminator, Pedders Sub-Frame Inserts, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pedders Rack & Pinion Bushing, 1LE front and rear sway bars]
dcplus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
BMR, I know you guys know drag racing, do your lowering spring generally work okay with a car that gets drag raced a lot?
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #26
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
BMR, I know you guys know drag racing, do your lowering spring generally work okay with a car that gets drag raced a lot?
John, when you lower you increase negative camber which is not a desirable trait for drag racing. It can be corrected with adjustable lower arms or extended range eccentrics. As lowering coils come with an increase in spring rate weight transfer is reduced. Depending on your RWHP they may or may not be appropriate. In extreme high RWHP Camaros higher spring rates are required to keep the car from bouncing on and off the bumpstops.

What stage is your build in?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #27
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I'm about to do a big round of bolt-ons. I've lowered past cars a bit before and still cut good 60's.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Ultimately a drop spring package isn't going to drastically effect your 60" times. Your alignment may need to be adjusted if you're really serious about drag racing and don't mind giving up just a little bit of handling capability... but if you're trying to get out of the hole effectively your driving technique is going to be a much bigger influence than lowering the car.

If you're really serious about drag racing we do offer dedicated drag race packages... but overall drop springs won't have a major effect unless you're a very serious racer.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmr, pedders, suspension