Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #57
techinny

Drives: '18 Sierra Denali '05 GMC 2500HD
Got an e-mail from Onstar yesterday, they are NOT going to do what they said they were, due to the feed back they recieved. Anyone esle get the e-mail?

Had: 2010 SS/RS M6 Hurst STS, Noweeds
techinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #58
Nemo13

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Feedback? C'mon man, you take a corp at it's word? I work for a corp. If they have anything that can show a profit, it will be utilized one way or another, or at another time masked as something else, or in the back door somehow. Money is money and this is the information age.

I like the idea of it, but comparing onstar to other services, its GPS to other companies, it is lacking and dated. -But man, what a grab if you can hook up on the gov't payroll to share info, and with insurance companies, credit companies, etc. Yeah yeah, they made an announcement. I love those. You have the huddle, assess the damage, come up with a plan of action, come up with a tiered plan of how to get around it, see how you can merge it into something else, and when you come up with the new plan, you get your public relations people to write a mind blowing announcment: "We're sorry." Haha..

This is of course IMHO. Ask Onstar for verification of deletion of info. Can't get it. They got it all. What will happen with it in the future? Depends what the 'need' or 'value' is.
Nemo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #59
navyblueburnout
navyblueburnout

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I just got off the phone with onstar and I asked them about the selling/giving away of data and they assured me that they never did that to begin with. They did try to pass it by in their terms and conditions but it was never set into motion because of the negative feedback that they got. I also asked them to send me confirmation that it never happened and they resfused because "the terms and conditions are suficiant". Now my personal opinion of that is a little shadey. If you say something then semi-refuse to send me confirmation, I say semi cause they did say the terms and conditions are suficiant, it raises suspicion.

IMO if you are going to do something that could be traced back to you with negative consequences then just unplug the stupid thing and plug it back in when your done. I doubt you are going to be focused on your hands free calling if you take it out racing.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #60
ABM/IOM

Drives: aqua blue ls and inferno orange ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo13 View Post
Thread resurrection! (disclaimer: If you are emotionally effected by this event, please do not read, haha) New guy here, jumping on this topic since I just did this today... I didn't want Onstar but did want a new Camaro. I didn't special order, so no option not to have it. So I decided to yank it and cut off big brother. The unit in my 2012 seems a little different, it only has L1 - L3, and just one antenna connection. Pic:

Curious why diff, anyway, I took out the fuse and unpluged everything and took the box out. The car runs fine, no weirdness, although the bluetooth button on the steering does not work, but HAL (The green eye on the mirror) is dead.

Yeah, I know, had the 6 mo free, but really, it's too easy to steal a car if you want to and if I am going to be in an accident where I can't get to my phone, I will most likely be dead, haha. If my cell can't reach anyone, neither will Onstar. I worked for a cell company for 4 years, so you know...

Where was the box located?
ABM/IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #61
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I knew this was coming. When I first got my 2010 ss/rs one of my first projects was disabling Onstar. It's not as simple as a fuse pull since that would make onstar an ineffective theft deterent.

On my 2010 removing the unit did lose BT but that's not a big deal since GMs BT is practically worthless due to mic positioning and noise levels in the car. More imortant for me was that removal of the Onstar unit lost remote start capability.

My final solution was the disconnection of the cellular antenna wire and building an antenna dummy load that would effective sink the celluar transmission withinout burning out the transmitter. The main problem that I was having was my cell booster picking up the weak signal coming off the antenna coax so it was neccesary to completely sink the signal. At the time my car was still under warranty and I didn't want to make mods that could not be reversed. Since then I've decided that the dealerships will never touch my car as long as I own it.

On his 2011 Icetre says the dummy load mod did not work. (possibly due to design changes or maybe the dummy load that he was using?) so Icetre came up with a mod to remove the Onstar unit and add a patch at the network level. I can't say if this effected other systems but, I do want to try this someday to test remote start. It would be nice to free up the space and dead weight of the onstar unit and this technique could probably be applied to other GM vehicles.

I can't be much help on the newer Camaros but, where there is a will theres a way. Just keep in mind that GM does'nt want to make this too easy. I would not trust a dealer mod since its in their best interest to keep your car on the air.

search for: "darkstar" or "onstar delete"

Last edited by SS Drifter; 05-23-2012 at 10:25 AM.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #62
deb

Drives: 2010 SS1 Camero rs rjt/73 & 03 M Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Drifter View Post
I knew this was coming. When I first got my 2010 ss/rs one of my first projects was disabling Onstar. It's not as simple as a fuse pull since that would make onstar an ineffective theft deterent.

On my 2010 removing the unit did lose BT but that's not a big deal since GMs BT is practically worthless due to mic positioning and noise levels in the car. More imortant for me was that removal of the Onstar unit lost remote start capability.

My final solution was the disconnection of the cellular antenna wire and building an antenna dummy load that would effective sink the celluar transmission withinout burning out the transmitter. The main problem that I was having was my cell booster picking up the weak signal coming off the antenna coax so it was neccesary to completely sink the signal. At the time my car was still under warranty and I didn't want to make mods that could not be reversed. Since then I've decided that the dealerships will never touch my car as long as I own it.

On his 2011 Icetre says the dummy load mod did not work. (possibly due to design changes or maybe the dummy load that he was using?) so Icetre came up with a mod to remove the Onstar unit and add a patch at the network level. I can't say if this effected other systems but, I do want to try this someday to test remote start. It would be nice to free up the space and dead weight of the onstar unit and this technique could probably be applied to other GM vehicles.

I can't be much help on the newer Camaros but, where there is a will theres a way. Just keep in mind that GM does'nt want to make this too easy. I would not trust a dealer mod since its in their best interest to keep your car on the air.

search for: "darkstar" or "onstar delete"
I have bben wanting to get rid of this **** thing since I got the car. Younger naive people don't get it. I think people who drive Camaros shouldn't want spies onboard. I'll try searching your suggestions. Thanks for a solution, or atleast an effort.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #63
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
My tin foil hat seems to be working, onstar has stopped reading my thoughts.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #64
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I get a kick out of this never ending argument. The point is, the Onstar serves no useful purpose for me and I don't like the idea of it. GM can kiss my snow white a$$ because they stuck this unwanted technology in my car.

On the new onstar unit, my guess is that the single coax is the gps. They may have hidden the transceiver module and/or antenna elsewhere or gone with an internal antenna. If someone happens to be swapping out the skarkfin for painted one, check the number and type of coax cables coming into the sharkfin. If two coax you should be able to trace one back to the transceiver or a blind connector.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #65
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Would love to know how I could disable this in my 2012 2LT.

Disable, Remove, whatever. Although I don't care about bluetooth, remote start is a nice feature to have...

Can a dealer disable it? Does it void the warranty?
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #66
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad View Post
Would love to know how I could disable this in my 2012 2LT.

Disable, Remove, whatever. Although I don't care about bluetooth, remote start is a nice feature to have...

Can a dealer disable it? Does it void the warranty?
The dealer will remove OnStar for free from any vehicle.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #67
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
so is there a way to disable it WITH keeping cell phone bluetooth?
Pfadt Race Engineering 1.25" Lowering Springs| Pfadt Spec Performance Street Alignment|ZL1 Front Bumper Conversion|ZL1 20x9 Rims|Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 275/40R20Y Square Setup||Footwell Lighting|G2 Gold Painted Brake Calipers
Stainless Power Long Tube Headers|Cold Air Inductions Cold Air Intake|VMAX CNC Spiral Ported Throttle Body|Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback| Vitesse Throttle Controller
--Jannetty Racing Enterprises Dyno Tuned|408 RWHP
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #68
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Just remove the cellular card or antenna.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #69
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Stop being paranoid. Wow.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #70
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
^lol
Pfadt Race Engineering 1.25" Lowering Springs| Pfadt Spec Performance Street Alignment|ZL1 Front Bumper Conversion|ZL1 20x9 Rims|Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 275/40R20Y Square Setup||Footwell Lighting|G2 Gold Painted Brake Calipers
Stainless Power Long Tube Headers|Cold Air Inductions Cold Air Intake|VMAX CNC Spiral Ported Throttle Body|Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback| Vitesse Throttle Controller
--Jannetty Racing Enterprises Dyno Tuned|408 RWHP
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onstar