Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #15
JsRS44

Drives: 2013 1LT RS
Federal Himilaya Ice Radials P275/40VR20 size. 3rd. winter coming up.Awesome tire!
JsRS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
CFB_Fanatic

Drives: "Looking for" SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Blizzaks are number 1 but can run you $450 a tire.
Michelin X-ice, Dunlop just came out with a new one.
Toyo Proxes 4 Plus A
Nitto NT90's
Pirelli Scorpions but I don't think you can get them in that size since they are a "light truck" tire.

Personally, I just purchased a set of OEM 5 spoke wheels and the Michelin X-Ice tires.
Have you used the x-ice in snow yet? How does it drive/ride in normal conditions?
CFB_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #17
CamaroinCLE

Drives: 2014 CRT LT
General Altimax Artics, my tire guy swears by them (35+ years in the business) Might need to check the sizes to see if they make them.
CamaroinCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #18
cowboy casey

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFB_Fanatic View Post
Have you driven them in the snow yet?
Sorry, missed your question...

I have not, we had a wonderful power killing ice storm this weekend but I did not go out in it.. no need to push my luck just to see if they will work

I agree with the difference between "snow tire" and "all season tire"

if you are driving in snow/ice/slush more than 30 days during the winter I would go with a "snow tire"

If your in an area like southern OK where it may snow 5 to 15 days a year and you will only have to drive in the snow for a couple of those days "all season tire" is where its at The BF Goodrich Gforce comp 2 a/s excel for this type of snow situation... I know Tire rack is doing a tire test this winter on these, I may have to wait to see as it has not snowed here yet...

cowboy casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #19
BALLEE

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
I did Toyo G3 ice in Canada for 250$ a pop. Believe me I got through alot of snow...size was 255/45/20
BALLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #20
CFB_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy casey View Post
Sorry, missed your question...

I have not, we had a wonderful power killing ice storm this weekend but I did not go out in it.. no need to push my luck just to see if they will work

I agree with the difference between "snow tire" and "all season tire"

if you are driving in snow/ice/slush more than 30 days during the winter I would go with a "snow tire"

If your in an area like southern OK where it may snow 5 to 15 days a year and you will only have to drive in the snow for a couple of those days "all season tire" is where its at The BF Goodrich Gforce comp 2 a/s excel for this type of snow situation... I know Tire rack is doing a tire test this winter on these, I may have to wait to see as it has not snowed here yet...
Hey no prob. Thanks for the reply. I got my car stuck last year a couple miles from my appt in about 3 inches of snow/sleet mix, so Im trying to go all out this year to be as prepared as possible. Dont wanna deal with that again.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #21
CFB_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALLEE View Post
I did Toyo G3 ice in Canada for 250$ a pop. Believe me I got through alot of snow...size was 255/45/20
Thanks! So heres a question for the board......you listed that you used size 255/45/20....thats different than the stock 275/40/20 and 245/45/20. Whats the widest tire I can fit on both the front and back (with the stagger difference) and whats the most narrow?? Its hard finding tires in the exact sizes of the OEM tires but Im not sure what the minimal and maximal width is, which would help the shopping if I knew.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #22
USMC SGT

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
you can run a 245/45/20 all around, from the reading I've done the narrower tire is better in the snow. I just put 245/45/20 pirelli scorpion winters on mine
USMC SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #23
CFB_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC SGT View Post
you can run a 245/45/20 all around, from the reading I've done the narrower tire is better in the snow. I just put 245/45/20 pirelli scorpion winters on mine
Awesome thanks that really helps.

Last question I promise....I found the Blizzaks in size 245/50/20.....Think that 50 would be too tall to run on my SS?? Im worried about the tire clearing the fender and dont know how much of a difference there is between 245/45 and 245/50??

Heres the tire. They are pretty dang cheap too

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....DMV1&tab=Sizes
Old 12-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #24
BALLEE

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
245/45/20 or 255/45/20 , the front rims are 8" and the Rear 9". In order to maintain the tire height and speedo you have to stick to oem wheel circumference. This might confuse you more but either run 245 all around or 255 all around. Narrow tires are better in snow. If the tires can be studded it's a plus.
BALLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #25
Revrider550

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFB_Fanatic View Post
Awesome thanks that really helps.

Last question I promise....I found the Blizzaks in size 245/50/20.....Think that 50 would be too tall to run on my SS?? Im worried about the tire clearing the fender and dont know how much of a difference there is between 245/45 and 245/50??

Heres the tire. They are pretty dang cheap too

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....DMV1&tab=Sizes
I put them on my car. Fenders are perfectly fine unless you dukes of hazzard the car often or something. The front fit is tight on the front shocks but they don't touch. I will stress it is VERY close but zero signs of rubbing. Back fit perfectly fine I put the 245 50 20 on all four rims. Both the 8 inch and 9 inch and it fits them without the stabilitrak issue and visually you cant really even tell the difference. Had to measure the rims actually to figure out which two belonged in the back.

I will stress most tire places will not put them on the rims and then on the car. I had to take the rims off at home and bring in the tries to get it done for "liability issues". The guy even said they fit perfectly fine though it's just a dumb policy

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Revrider550; 12-01-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Revrider550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #26
CFB_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revrider550 View Post
I put them on my car. Fenders are perfectly fine unless you dukes of hazzard the car often or something. The front fit is tight on the front shocks but they don't touch. I will stress it is VERY close but zero signs of rubbing. Back fit perfectly fine I put the 245 50 20 on all four rims. Both the 8 inch and 9 inch and it fits them without the stabilitrak issue and visually you cant really even tell the difference. Had to measure the rims actually to figure out which two belonged in the back.

I will stress most tire places will not put them on the rims and then on the car. I had to take the rims off at home and bring in the tries to get it done for "liability issues". The guy even said they fit perfectly fine though it's just a dumb policy

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Awesome. It looks like you are driving a 2015 and I am in a 2013 so I wonder if the newer models might have a different fitting than mine. If yours are close to touching on the front I may just order 2 for the back and get some kind of "all weather" tire for the front. I dont mind having mis-matched tires and Id rather do that than buy 2 tires that dont fit LOL

Definitely appreciate the info tho......Thanks