Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #57
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
By the time the Chicago Show opened, and the "exciting new ultra-performance Camaro" was announced, Ford had revealed their BOSS which, previous to its announcement, was kind of a well-guarded secret. Two things became apparent:

1) The "Z/28" suddenly became the ZL1, THE most powerful version, historically, to roll out of a GM facility. NOT necessarily the most canyon-friendly version, and NOT with the same "heritage" as the Z/28.

2) There was/is NO Gen-5 Z/28. What could/should that vehicle be, based on "production-ready, certified/validated (in some GM vehicle or other) GM components"? And, with development fully underway for the ZL1, suddenly there are NEW Camaro-specific parts 'n pieces to pick from...some from CTS-V...some from Corvette...some from Australia...and, doubtless, some we don't know about...

Based on these "facts", what constitutes the best bang for the buck, the least amount of effort for the most impact, the best return on GM's inve$tment, and, ultimately, the most saleable version to bridge the price-gap between 2SS and ZL1 while being "price-competitive" to other offerings (read: BOSS) in the marketplace?

Business Case: How many, @ how much profit, @ how many anticipated conquests AND tempered by what cost to existing Camaro sales (if any).
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #58
flopjack

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanz28 View Post
All I know is that any chevrolet can be an SS. Only one can be a Z28!!!!
So far, that really does just about sum everything that we KNOW absolutely sure for a fact about the Z28. Speculation is just that - a wild guess.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #59
wex777

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible
I like the coolor combination
wex777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 AM   #60
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by durrettcustoms View Post
WOW man you are in fantasy land! Don't get me wrong what you just described would be the ULTIMATE Camaro to me.......fact is it will never happen especially at that price point. If GM ever put the LS7 in the new Camaros it would have been with the ZL1 badge on it and we see where that went. GM knows what they have with the LS7 and LSA engines. The LSA is built to make a certain amount of power and not much more. The LS7 has so much more potential it is unbelievable. You can easily make 650+ hp with Cam and ported heads on the LS7. I honestly think GM will never put the engine that is in that years Z06 into a Camaro. (IE 427(1969 only came in COPO cars), LT5(ZR1), LS6, LS7)

It would make it hard to sell a car for 75K when you can buy a car with the SAME engine for 25k less. (Doesn't matter how many carbon fiber panels it has.)
While your logic has merit, they are doing basically that with the SS and base corvette. Seems like a 490hp Camaro would work well with the current model architecture.
If they want to beat Ford and win some brand loyalty, they need to target each model. So far, so good.
I don't see a real weight change, so power and tires would go a long way.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #61
pensphan87

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS Convertible Bliss
I think GM should have gone with the Challenger SRT8 approuch "ONLY Z/28 THE FIRST YEAR - ONLY 6.2L 550HP" Then second year released the RS v6 and SS v8. The Z/28 should always be the top of the lot, then if you want a real monster SLP converts it into a ZL1. It is the "better fuel economy" line that I get hung up on, save the fuel economy for the v6's give me . . . . MORE POWER !

Last edited by pensphan87; 07-31-2011 at 09:11 PM.
pensphan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #62
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
I didn't understand how those were looking for a z/28 when the SS I thought was considered a higher end model in the previous gen.

I didn't think they would be bring back the z28 name. This zl1 looks mean. I hope they sell that front end and hood as aftermarket parts.
Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #63
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Rogan, if you consider the "Gen-1 Heritage" present in the design and (so far) naming of the current Camaro, there's only TWO names (in total) missing. They've used RS, and SS, and "ZL1" (technically NOT a Gen-1 Model name, but an engine nomeclature), and Pace Car. They have NOT used COPO in a Production version (but have in a SEMA '08 concept), and they have NOT used "Z/28"...although until the 11th hour, we were all pretty sure that's what the ZL1 would be.

In Gen-1, a Z/28 became the most consumer-friendly iconic Camaro badge. Witness any current car show, and the plethora of '69 Camaros, ALL badged as Z/28s it seems... ICONIC. Stood for "high-revvin', sweet-handlin', stick-only Hugger-machine"! Ditto Gen-2 (kinda). Best handler, Gen-3, and then bastardized as an IROC. Gen-4, Base V8...like an SS is today...

Gen-5 offers the opportunity to return the Z/28 to its rightful place in history: "high-revvin', sweet-handlin', stick-only Hugger-machine"! And to do that, take a 1SS, add ZL1 HD driveline/brakes/wheels-tires/enhanced FE4...and a high-revvin' LS7...DONE! Bridges the price gap between 2SS and ZL1, plugs the hole created by the BOSS, makes 1,000s happy, makes GM $1,000s/unit, and basically does through GM what many aftermarket companies have been doing for 2 years...increasing the fun quotient of the Camaro!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #64
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
I didn't understand how those were looking for a z/28 when the SS I thought was considered a higher end model in the previous gen.

I didn't think they would be bring back the z28 name. This zl1 looks mean. I hope they sell that front end and hood as aftermarket parts.
Of the 243,085 Camaros made in 1969, 20,302 were Z/28's. That 20,302 has grown at least two fold with all of the clones in today's world.

I really hope the hood stays as a ZL1 item only.

Last edited by Fightinfire921; 08-09-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #65
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

The top performing Camaro that GM built in the 4th gen was the Z28. SS's rolled off the line as a Z28, and then got a few mods done by SLP and were then sold as SS's through Chevy's dealership network.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #66
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
I really hope the hood stays as a ZL1 item only.
Yea, I'd be more for something like the '80 Z/28 functional hood scoop.
Attached Images

Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #67
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

As Justice Pete has reminded us, a "problem" for consistent engine performance is underhood heat, whether n/a or boosted. Some form of lightened extractor hood would assist in THREE areas: weight reduction AND heat extraction AND "Model identification". Something similar to the "Leno hood" (see my avatar), made from SMC or c/f, would suffice. I, personally, am NOT a fan of the ZL1 hood design...too cluttered.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #68
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:

You've already gotten some good answers with lots of factual information. Whether SS or Z/28 should be "top dog" has been argued incessantly since the late '60s, but more so since the advent of the internet. Having been there back in the day when I bought a new '69 Z/28, I'll let an old friend of mine speak from back in 1970, he had several friends that all had Z/28s and had ridden in all of them and driven a couple, upon purchasing a brand new GTO "Judge" he stated "I'm not worried about any SS Camaros or SS Chevelles, but you can bet I won't be messing with any Z/28s!".
Clyde

Last edited by wildpaws; 08-09-2011 at 05:57 PM.
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #69
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Not trying to stir the pot, I don't think you will see a Z28... The ZL1 for all intents is the Z28 but in a different direction away from the z28 name. I never got or get the mystique of the Z28, for me it's the SS.

Secondly there is not a chance in a hell the Camaro will get the technology(5.5L DI engine). The Corvette is the top of the line. Does the Camaro have the LS7 or LS9? No because the Vette is their staging ground for their top end performance technology. If your waiting for that engine, it would be some time after the Vette gets it. Just my 2 cents

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #70
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
just the fact that there is a ZL1 proves there will be a Z28... think about it before you respond.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote