Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #29
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Drives: Inferno Orange SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEcho View Post
I have never had a dealer turn down a test drive. Hell, I was 22 years old, stationed in Germany, and was able to test drive a 97 Dodge Viper on the Autobahn with nothing more than a drivers license and a 500 dollar "insurance" deposit (which they refunded when I brought the car back in one piece). I test drove both the M6 and the A6 before I bought my car. Took it on the interstate and the dealer told me to go as fast as I wanted...
had to order mine with NO TEST DRIVE because there where no dealers around here who would let us. This is quite common for this car. Surprised you have no heard that.
2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM, 475rwhp 415ft/lbs Cam-232°/245° .612 .612 113LSA. Precision 3500 stall, New Era CAI. Reher Morrison Heads, Manifold and TB. Ferrea H-stems, dual springs, Ti-retainers. American Racing long tubes-Xpipe, High flow CATs, "S"type Borla's. 160F Thermo.
VVT ACTIVE! Thanks to New Era Performance!

Darin Morgan
-Induction R&D-EFI calibration
Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmSale3.htm
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Darin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #30
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
There is no reason it should not have an off setting.

Look at CAGS they claim it helps mileage (which is not true) and what does everyone do? Drive past it, ie drive the car harder so you don't have to deal with it...or CAGS elimiator
I agree. Mike at New Era Performance helps me tune with the HPtuner software. He gave me a tune to effectively kill the AFM below 55mph. I was amazed at how much more enjoyable the car is to drive with that damn AFM kicking in and out in city driving. I dont mind it a bit on the highway because that's what its for. I went ahead and modified the tune so it wont kick in under 60mph and is dead up to 5th and 6th gear. I put up with it for weeks then my wife (Prostock69) complained about it and that was it. I had to tune it out. The aggravation grows on you until you cant stand it anymore! They need an on off switch that allows the driver to either make it far less agressive or so it shuts off for city driving.
2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM, 475rwhp 415ft/lbs Cam-232°/245° .612 .612 113LSA. Precision 3500 stall, New Era CAI. Reher Morrison Heads, Manifold and TB. Ferrea H-stems, dual springs, Ti-retainers. American Racing long tubes-Xpipe, High flow CATs, "S"type Borla's. 160F Thermo.

Darin Morgan
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Old 11-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #31
ORANGE U NV

Drives: The Wife Crazy
I gotta agree, it only seems to aggravate me more and more. I missed the TSB....what was GM's spin?

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
ORANGE U NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #32
ORANGE U NV

I live on a 25 mph street. I back my car out, shift to drive, and after I pass like 5 houses I let off the gas only to hear that unholy buzzing and vibration of the AFM. I get 30 secounds of driving pleasure before I wanna punch a engineer right in the mouth!
Thanks for letting me vent.......my wife has cut me off on this topic.

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
Old 11-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #33
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGE U NV View Post
I live on a 25 mph street. I back my car out, shift to drive, and after I pass like 5 houses I let off the gas only to hear that unholy buzzing and vibration of the AFM. I get 30 secounds of driving pleasure before I wanna punch a engineer right in the mouth!
Thanks for letting me vent.......my wife has cut me off on this topic.
I also live on a 25mph street so I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Darin Morgan
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Old 11-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #34
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
Glad I'm not the only one! It definitely seems like an engineering glitch or oversight. Why on earth would anyone want it to come on at such low speeds? There's no way that's going to save gas, as it bounces in and out at the slightest touch of the throttle.

The bulletin basically instructs dealers to "use the paddles and shift down." It's ridiculous, but at least we know we have their attention.

I even posted on "Ask Fritz."

My post: Please have your engineering team update the active fuel management program in the new Camaro. Should activate only under certain conditions-today, it comes on at any speed and any transmission or Stabilitrak setting.

Response: The information will be passed along to our product team. If you believe your new Camaro is not operating correctly, we would encourage you to visit your Chevrolet dealer and ask that they perform a diagnostic review. -Brent Dewar, GM Vice President, Chevrolet
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #35
ORANGE U NV

If you believe your new Camaro is not operating correctly, we would encourage you to visit your Chevrolet dealer and ask that they perform a diagnostic review. -Brent Dewar, GM Vice President, Chevrolet[/QUOTE]

That IS the problem.... GM designed it to work like that. Do the vettes have this AFM trash on them?

Old 11-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #36
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGE U NV View Post
That IS the problem.... GM designed it to work like that. Do the vettes have this AFM trash on them?
no because they are efficient enough to avoid the gas guzzler tax without it
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #37
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The reason why everything would heat up is because coolant circulates through the entire engine and aluminum (well, any metal) conducts heat very good. The actual pistons themselves might not get up to temp as fast, but the walls won't know the difference. Each de-activated cylinder is adjacent to 1 active cylinder. Overall, the engine won't be terribly different than one with all 8 cylinders firing. If it didn't have an integrated thermal management system it might be a bit different.
This is completely wrong. If you run DOD/AFM to long or on a cold engine or at high load it can and does do damage over time. If the DOD/AFM is operating outside certain parameters It warps the cylinders adjacent to the active ones and increases bore, piston ring wear substantially! Any thermal gradient in an engine will do the same thing. Its not something that happens instantly. It will eventually cause the engine to use more oil, leak down cylinder pressure and make far less power over time. Activate the DOD/AFM for extended periods on an engine that is to cold or in a high load scenario and your going to damage the cylinder in short order! Below are the tuning parameters tuned into my AFM. I have it coming on at 55mph and not 1 mph sooner. It is deactivated in 1st,2nd and 3rd gears as well. You can see by the pictures below that there are many variables involved. Nothing very complex mind you. Its just load (MAN pressure TPS position) and preset parameters but get them wrong, hold it in to long for extended periods and damage occurs.

AFM/DOD active on a cold engine (high thermal gradient) is the worst thing I can think of.

P.S. I will be the first to admit that I am a newb at tuning the Camaro and especially AFM/DOD. Thanks to Mike at New Era Performance for helping out with this piece of shit AFM.

Darin Morgan
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Last edited by Darin Morgan; 11-01-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #38
ORANGE U NV

Ok, so GM wants to avoid a "gas gussler tax" to keep the MSRP down...makes sense. But how much cheaper would a LS3/Auto be to produce than the more complex L99?
(The LS3 stick is 16/24 w/ no added tax compared to the L99/auto at 16/25.)

Old 11-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #39
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
Mike at New Era tuned mine out, no regrets here
Old 11-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #40
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
Can't comment on the MPG for the Camaro, but I can attest to the amazing job GM has done withOUT AFM. Cases in point: My '03 Z06 would get 31 MPG cruising on the highway in 6th gear. My '06 Z06 got 28 MPG, same scenario. A 7.0 liter, 505 HP motor getting that is amazing. Flip side - had a SLK55 AMG for a while, and paid a $1300 guzzler tax on it. It's 5.5 liter, 355 HP motor only got 18 MPG on the highway in 7th gear...
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #41
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
In the end, I would assume the only way to get what we are asking... is to have our cars tuned.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #42
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
In the end, I would assume the only way to get what we are asking... is to have our cars tuned.

I think your right.

Darin Morgan
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321