Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
You really need to be in the ZL1 forums for this differential issue. Those guys have lots of experience with the differential problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos_ss View Post
I live in an area that only has one Chevrolet dealership and I've had some horrible experiences with the service department. Recently, my ZL1 started making a "humming" noise which seemed like it is coming from the rear end. I saw other posts on the forum about a bulletin that describes a similar sound and suggest changing the rear end oil. So this morning (8am)I dropped off the car at the dealership, explained the problem, and showed them a copy of the bulletin.

I didn't hear anything all day so at 5, I called and was told that I mechanic drove the car and he determined that the noise wasn't normal. But he wasn't sure what the problem was so that they were waiting for another technician to drive the car. At 5:45 I get a call back and was told that the second mechanic thinks the sound is coming from the differential so that they want to "drop the rear end" to see what is causing the noise. But because it is a few days from Thanksgiving that they would like me to go pick up the car and take it back next Monday... because if they started working on it tomorrow it wouldn't be done before the holidays. They said they wouldn't want me without a car for an entire week.

So I don't understand why an entire day was spent just to confirm the "hum." And why don't they start with the oil change to see if that solves the issue rather than take the entire thing apart. And not to be an ass but I don't even trust them taking it apart! It gets so frustrating. I know problems can exist even if the car is new but damn it sucks!

Any suggestions?? Or comments!??
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
Kawirocket674

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I believe the bullitin you are referring to is a noise in the rear end at slow parking lot maneuver speeds. Sounds like yours is at speed. Might be an entirely different condition than what the bullitin is. As for a rental, under factory warranty if your vehicle needs to be kept for over 24 hours you can get a rental.
Kawirocket674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
I live in an area that only has one Chevrolet dealership and I've had some horrible experiences with the service department. Recently, my ZL1 started making a "humming" noise which seemed like it is coming from the rear end. I saw other posts on the forum about a bulletin that describes a similar sound and suggest changing the rear end oil. So this morning (8am)I dropped off the car at the dealership, explained the problem, and showed them a copy of the bulletin.

I didn't hear anything all day so at 5, I called and was told that I mechanic drove the car and he determined that the noise wasn't normal. But he wasn't sure what the problem was so that they were waiting for another technician to drive the car. At 5:45 I get a call back and was told that the second mechanic thinks the sound is coming from the differential so that they want to "drop the rear end" to see what is causing the noise. But because it is a few days from Thanksgiving that they would like me to go pick up the car and take it back next Monday... because if they started working on it tomorrow it wouldn't be done before the holidays. They said they wouldn't want me without a car for an entire week.

So I don't understand why an entire day was spent just to confirm the "hum." And why don't they start with the oil change to see if that solves the issue rather than take the entire thing apart. And not to be an ass but I don't even trust them taking it apart! It gets so frustrating. I know problems can exist even if the car is new but damn it sucks!

Any suggestions?? Or comments!??
...welcome to the world of mechanical car issues and dealership service. I would have asked for a loaner. It's a good thing you are getting a second opinion. Not everyone is up to speed on the ZL1 at dealerships. Besides, some of your verbage is a bit harsh and overly critical . Just sayin'....
Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #18
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Recently, my ZL1 started making a "humming" noise which seemed like it is coming from the rear end.Any suggestions?? Or comments!??
Sounds like the trunk monkey.
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #19
kaos_ss

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
His area has only one chevy dealership...I wonder how far he would have to go to find another...
I guess the next large dealer would be about an hour away. Normally that isn't such a big deal but I don't know how I would get back home if they didn't give me a loaner.

“If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.”
kaos_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #20
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
I guess the next large dealer would be about an hour away. Normally that isn't such a big deal but I don't know how I would get back home if they didn't give me a loaner.
If you really dislike your current dealer that much, I'd say take the trip. BUT, call ahead and specifically notify them that you will more than likely require a loaner.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #21
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Seems you already have it in your head that you do not trust the service department that should have been your 1st indication that you need to take your Camaro to another dealership even if it’s an hour away. I have two dealerships w/in 20 minutes from my house I do not like either dealership so I choose to take mine to one that is 45 minutes away. Why I have trust in the dealership if I need a rental they will put me in one for the day (normally a loaner from the dealership) if it’s overnight they will give me a rental. Save yourself the stress and take it to a different dealership, as for the rental car if you need one as the dealership they can get you one if you have to pay out of pocket for a day they should get you the $35 a day rate. I always try to build a relationship with my dealership the reason why I take mine cars to a dealership is simple I trust them, I have been given a tour of the dealership, the shop facilities, and the overall attitude of the workers on the showroom , and the service department gave me he feeling that they care about the customer.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:58 AM   #22
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Find a Cadillac dealer. You will be amazed how much better they do than a Chevrolet dealer.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
Find a Cadillac dealer. You will be amazed how much better they do than a Chevrolet dealer.
^ that sounds like good advice since the LSA is in the CTS-V also. Probably uses the same rear end.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Wow! Sounds like a cool dealer. I was told that despite the sound they determined that the car is drive-able and it shouldn't hurt anything driving it until next week when I can take it back again.
So what you're saying is that they are using what you already know to their favor, the dealer obviously knew you drove it there for the problem fix...no duh!..so its drivable, at least for the moment. I'd be more concerned driving it before the fix is complete, and guaranteed fixed. If you do, drive it during the prefix interm, be sure and get their suggestion/recommendation in writing. If you don't the shouldn't........ in "Should'nt Hurt Anything" leaves a BIG ole gaping hole for them to escape warranty responsibilty through in the event you destroy whats left of the rear-end during the drivabilty period.....how ever thats defined legally, whatever that means in laymans terms or how ever long that might be by pure happen chance or murphy's luck. Be forewarned.....................
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
My closest dealer is 6 miles away.

I'd never buy a car there and only take my car in for service there if it was a last resort.

And this was a dealer that survived the cut.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote