Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 07-23-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
new around the block...

ahhhh, my camaro story.

one of the oldest memories i have is of seeing a red early 70's firebird. i was probably around 13 or so at the time.

from there on i fell in love with the fbod's.

my first car was the best graduation gift a boy could have ever gotten. it wasn't early 70's, it wasn't restored, it wasn't a z28 but it was mine (and for only 1500 bucks!)

a 1978 LT v8 camaro

unfortunetly due to a rather large amount of adolesance and stupidity, i ended up totaling her (didn't scave me at all, talk about a real friend taking the bullet for you)

---

years went by, and i got serious about my carrer and such. for the first year aniversary of my being a professional in my field; i decided to throw caution (and money to some degree) to the wind.

i found myself a white stripped on mettalic blue 73 z28.

man i fell in love at first sight... all my life i had wanted a 70 rs/ss with the two piece bumper and side exhaust on red with white stripes; but this camaro changed it all for me...

alas my run of bad luck continued with this lovely marvel as 20 hours after i purchased the car in cash, the harmonic balancer mounted front of the crank shaft snapped off while i was on the freeway.

luckily, no one was hurt other then my feelings. after some more inspection, the frame was found to have a huge rust hole (1") towards the back of the passanger rail, and the gas tank leaked, not to mention the tons of bondo all over the body.

i was lucky enough to use some choice few words with the dealer who has sold me the car and managed to get my full amount of cash back.

my mistake for not being more cautious when buying an older car like that.

---

some time passed and my hopes of finding the perfect camaro started to fade (soon after i returned the above, a found a great LT1 70 camaro only to find it had been stolen once and the owner never thought to mention it till we got the appraiser...)

one random day, looking on ebay of all places (my 78 was found in a penny saver randomly, after months of looking through classifieds in my area)

i found this beauty.

i tried not to get too excited telling myself that it was probably rusted, and bondo'd... and a crap heap but i could help myself at sight of her.

so days later i raced to scope it out in person.

she was amazing. had come from arizona and had never seen the ice/snow/salt found in michagan (i was living there at the time). no rust, no bondo... and a rebuilt engine.

i didn't want to think it was too good to be true, but it seemed that way. i had to ask the man selling it why... why sell such a perfect car?

the answer was simple, his son was turning 16 and getting his license to drive. the owners wife had instructed him to sell the car so as to not have the kid kill himself in the 350hp monster.

and there it was, the simple honest reason. i knew he wasn't lying cause as soon as i turned there was his son with his eyes burning a hole into my head as he watched the whole thing go down.

a few days later, after an appraisal over asking price and a quick trip to my credit union she was mine.

i've had her since then, it's been over a year now. she been to the dream cruise and torn up woodward like it's no ones business. now she's back in cali with me, sitting outside between the office and my apt across the street.

they say 3rd times a charm, i can't disagree.

bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:56 AM   #2
BitchinCamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Awesome... good to see some second gen love. My first Camaro was an '80 and I have spent a lot of time under the hood of a friend's '77. Welcome.

ps. More pics please
BitchinCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
ask and you shall recieve...

these should all be wall paper size so feel free to use them for your desktop, images curtisy of daniel buck http://www.404photography.com

bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Welcome!

Nice ride! Cool Story.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
ask and you shall recieve...

these should all be wall paper size so feel free to use them for your desktop, images curtisy of daniel buck http://www.404photography.com
nice place for a photo-shoot wish we roads like that around here that weren't to busy for that sort of thing
Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
That is the best muscle car story I have ever read.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote