Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
1" drop and Frustrating Alignment Issue in Maryland

Last week I scheduled an appointment at my dealership do an alignment on my car after a installed my Hotchkis 1" lowering springs, BMR sways, toe rods, and trailing arms. To my surprise, they told me today that they couldn't get my car on the rack. I asked why and they said it was too low and with the splitter it would hit the sides of the rack. Wth?!? They align Corvettes aren't they lower (and maybe wider)? They knew that I was lowering it but never mentioned that when I scheduled the appointment. Any way, they had no suggestions so I called Maryland Speed. They referred me to the shop they take their lowered cars. That shop tells me something different. They say that my exhaust is too low. What?!?! My Pfadt Tri-Y's are no lower that stock! Well, I tried two other shops who looked at me like I had the plague.

I know there are hundreds of lowered Camaros around here, do they not have their cars aligned? One shop told me that a 1" drop shouldn't really affect my alignment. Is that true? Not to mention the toe rods and trailing arms would have an effect, right?!?

Anyone in Maryland know where I can get an alignment on a 1" drop? The only thing that I can see that would be a slight obstacle would be the RPI front splitter, but it certainly isn't that low. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated? I really don't want to ruin my tires.

Thanks guys!
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Wow.. You will definitely need an alignment. Tell them to break out some wooden blocks and make some ramps to get your car on the lift! You have to take a few extra steps with lowered cars, but it can be done.. We made a custom set out of 2"x10".

Good luck!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Wow.. You will definitely need an alignment. Tell them to break out some wooden blocks and make some ramps to get your car on the lift! You have to take a few extra steps with lowered cars, but it can be done.. We made a custom set out of 2"x10".

Good luck!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Got any pics of those ramps? I need to make a set.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Quote:

Good luck!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Good idea. I need a set so pics would be nice.
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:

Good luck!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
This makes my choice of you guys doing my car in a couple of weeks so reassuring. I know it will be in experts hands!!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
Find a shop that has the longer ramps for low vehicles. It will need to be aligned per BMR specs. Middle of their range is what I used.
Attached Images

Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Got any pics of those ramps? I need to make a set.
Simple, yet effective.. (sorry for the crappy cell phone pic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
This makes my choice of you guys doing my car in a couple of weeks so reassuring. I know it will be in experts hands!!
You'll definitely be in good hands! Thanks for the kind words!!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote