Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Danimal

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS
Lost Tonneau Cover While Driving

Has anyone lost their Tonneau Cover while driving their 2010-2013 Camaro Convertible? I have and I am trying to get it covered as a warranty item... I had installed as instructed, as always and about the 20th time putting it on It apparently flew off at some point while I was on the highway. Really dont feel like paying for something that was not my fault. Please let me know if you too have lost one of these covers. Thanks
Attached Images

Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
My tonneau cover has never blow off. You must attach those TWO bungee cords & if you've got them attached in the right place IT WILL NEVER COME OFF. I've had my car since 4/11/12 & its my first convertible and I love the car and rarely drive without the tonneau cover. It may take a few extra minutes but if you just go slow and make sure you've got the bungee cords attached right IT WILL NOT COME OFF. Michael in Virginia
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
How about the little clips on the 2011s? Are they good enought to prevent the cover from coming off?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
This has been covered in another thread here previously. Where I don't know because there are a gazillion threads per category, which is great if the search feature worked...

Anyways, I heard tell the bungee cords for 2012 and guessing for 2013, but not sure, were an improvement over the clips of 2010-11, and the dealership may redo them for those owners, but don't quote me on that. Seems the ones with the clips would fly off on the highway.

Someone much better versed on the internet will link the original thread I remember seeing.

Peace out
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
WoodyBldr31

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS Convertible
My tonneau almost came off twice last year on my 2011 RS. It had the lousy clips that held it on. I really had to fight GM to have it replaced. My dealership first tried to have my cover altered by cutting off the clips and having something similar to the bungee style sewn on but the company that did it did a really poor job and ruined the cover with the sewing. It was visible from the exterior so my Service Manager finally got GM Canada to come up with a new one with the bungee cords. Since then I've had no problems, but just to be sure the cords didn't come off the posts, I removed the posts and installed a larger washer by the screw head then put them back on. I've read in previous posts that some guys in the US had no problem getting them replaced. The part number for the 2010/11 supersedes to the 2012/13 number due to the design flaw I believe. In Canada the price is double from the US price. Go figure.

ps does that rear deflector work well in reducing wind blowback? I've been thinking about getting one only if it really works.

David C

Last edited by WoodyBldr31; 05-31-2013 at 02:42 AM. Reason: added extra wording
WoodyBldr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
Has anyone lost their Tonneau Cover while driving their 2010-2013 Camaro Convertible? I have and I am trying to get it covered as a warranty item... I had installed as instructed, as always and about the 20th time putting it on It apparently flew off at some point while I was on the highway. Really dont feel like paying for something that was not my fault. Please let me know if you too have lost one of these covers. Thanks
Hello Danimal,

Sorry you're having some issues here with your Tonneau Cover. Have you had the opportunity to speak to your dealer yet about this issue? Please private message me your VIN and current mileage and I will look into your situation further.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Windscreen

I like my factory windscreen. With the windows and the windscreen up the reduction in turbulence is noticeable and a pleasurable driving experience on the freeway. Drove 80 miles top down with my wife at 72mph and we were impressed by how quiet it was. I would not go without one. Easy install and removal, although I leave mine in most of the time.
Attached Images

SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyBldr31 View Post
My tonneau almost came off twice last year on my 2011 RS. It had the lousy clips that held it on. I really had to fight GM to have it replaced. My dealership first tried to have my cover altered by cutting off the clips and having something similar to the bungee style sewn on but the company that did it did a really poor job and ruined the cover with the sewing. It was visible from the exterior so my Service Manager finally got GM Canada to come up with a new one with the bungee cords. Since then I've had no problems, but just to be sure the cords didn't come off the posts, I removed the posts and installed a larger washer by the screw head then put them back on. I've read in previous posts that some guys in the US had no problem getting them replaced. The part number for the 2010/11 supersedes to the 2012/13 number due to the design flaw I believe. In Canada the price is double from the US price. Go figure.

ps does that rear deflector work well in reducing wind blowback? I've been thinking about getting one only if it really works.

David C
I like my factory windscreen. With the windows and the windscreen up the reduction in turbulence is noticeable and a pleasurable driving experience on the freeway. Drove 80 miles top down with my wife at 72mph and we were impressed by how quiet it was. I would not go without one. Easy install and removal, although I leave mine in most of the time. New to the forum forgot to quote you the first time David.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
Here is the link to the Tonneau Cover Bungie fix:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=cover+fix

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
Del's12SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Rumor has the tonneau cover on my 12 can handle TDD ( triple digit driving)
Attached Images

Last edited by Del's12SS; 06-03-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Picture taken right after a TDD run.
Del's12SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #11
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
The only TDD I do is in KpH, LoL!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteMayheM View Post
Here is the link to the Tonneau Cover Bungie fix:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=cover+fix
This - I almost lost my 2011 cover the first time I put it on. I made these changes in 30 min and it doesn't move. Looks great from any view too as the changes are hidden when it's on.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
Danimal

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS
Update: I just heard back from my dealer and he was able to get it covered as a warranty issue and here's why.

1. The car is a 2012 but it was assembled early on in that model year's run and was given a cover that many of you are claiming is from the 2011 model year i.e. clips and not bungee.

2. I only had 4, 237 miles on it.

I'm hopeful that the new one has the bungee straps or otherwise I'm seeing this become a repetitive issue. Although now I'm concerned that I have the old top that has all of the water bag issues...

Still gotta love the car man!
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
Update: I just heard back from my dealer and he was able to get it covered as a warranty issue and here's why.

1. The car is a 2012 but it was assembled early on in that model year's run and was given a cover that many of you are claiming is from the 2011 model year i.e. clips and not bungee.

2. I only had 4, 237 miles on it.

I'm hopeful that the new one has the bungee straps or otherwise I'm seeing this become a repetitive issue. Although now I'm concerned that I have the old top that has all of the water bag issues...

Still gotta love the car man!
Hello Danimal,

Glad to hear everything was taken care of for you. Now you're good to get back out there to enjoy your Camaro. Find new roads!

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Tags
convertible cover, lost cover, tonneau, tonneau cover, top cover