Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #29
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreCamaros View Post
ive had the pfadt coilovers on the car now for about 2 months and the front of the car still hasnt settled enough to adjust the front coilovers at all. the car is still a little high in the front and cant lower it. i timed the bushing and did everything i could think of to fix the issue. i went for a alignment at a very high end shop out near me and i asked them about it and the owner of the company told me its definately the front spring rating is too high for the application. thats not the first time i heard that! does anyone know the spring rating on the new generation pfadt coilovers?

http://www.tkxperformance.com/
Ask for Blair or Aaron.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
EncoreCamaros

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro SS/RS LS3
I tried talking to pfadt, and they told me that there's so much R and D in the coil overs that it can't possibly be a problem with them. Pretty much insinuating I installed then improperly.
ARH 1 7/8 headers catless 3'' long system, Whipple sc 4.00 pulley 9 lbs boost, msd boost-a-pump, CAI intake, Pfadt coilovers, toe links, trailing arms, solid cradle bushings, sway bars, Forgestar CF5 19x9.5/19x11, M/T et street II radials
EncoreCamaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #31
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
I tried talking to pfadt, and they told me that there's so much R and D in the coil overs that it can't possibly be a problem with them. Pretty much insinuating I installed then improperly.
Mmmmm I just installed mine but haven't adjusted the ride height yet. Maybe take some picks and post them? Someone might be able to see something that is not right?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #32
EncoreCamaros

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro SS/RS LS3
Only thing wrong is the spring on the front coilovers definitely have the wrong spring rate for the car. Plain and simple
ARH 1 7/8 headers catless 3'' long system, Whipple sc 4.00 pulley 9 lbs boost, msd boost-a-pump, CAI intake, Pfadt coilovers, toe links, trailing arms, solid cradle bushings, sway bars, Forgestar CF5 19x9.5/19x11, M/T et street II radials
EncoreCamaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #33
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Only thing wrong is the spring on the front coilovers definitely have the wrong spring rate for the car. Plain and simple
Mmmmm well not sure man. I am going to adjust them here in a few when it cools off....112 here right now lol I will let you know if I am having the same issues. Mine is sitting at stock height right now.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #34
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Encore: Like SSS said, were you able to talk to Blair or Aaron?

Just a heads up Encore but my personal car has the first generation Pfadt street coilovers with the drag springs on it. Sitting on 28" diameter tires all around, the front of my car does sit up higher seems like how you are describing. What I can tell you is that the combination works great for us, 1.39 60' on 17" M&Hs and 1.41 60' on 18" MT's both off the footbrake.

I would honestly go out and try the setup, I am sure it will react and do what you need it to once finely tuned in. If you take the car out to the track, do some video launching of it. We can review videos and start making some adjustments.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #35
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
.....the car is still a little high in the front and cant lower it.....
http://www.tkxperformance.com/

Can you please call us or post the current ride height front and rear? Without actual numbers, I can't determine what is going on.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #36
gmg69

Drives: 2010 Twin Turbo SS, Summit White
same here...

I'll speak for everyone here.... I had the exact same issue with the front springs. I had the height adjustment maxed all the way down. The front of the car was still too high. I only got a maximum off 1.75" of drop when I should have 2". I spoke to Pfadt and they recommended I loosen all connections and let the car settle, then re torque. Well, that got me a whopping 1/16". I sent them pics of my ride height. They admitted I should be getting 2" of drop. A friend of mine put on the same springs and had the same issues. Pfadt sent him the correct front springs at NO COST. Pfadt wanted me to spend an extra $150 for the right equipment, saying my friends deal was a one time thing....although the exact same issue as me, OP, and a few others. Come on Pfadt....do the right thing.
gmg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #37
MiSTER

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM Camaro, 1988 6.6L IROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmg69 View Post
I'll speak for everyone here.... I had the exact same issue with the front springs. I had the height adjustment maxed all the way down. The front of the car was still too high. I only got a maximum off 1.75" of drop when I should have 2". I spoke to Pfadt and they recommended I loosen all connections and let the car settle, then re torque. Well, that got me a whopping 1/16". I sent them pics of my ride height. They admitted I should be getting 2" of drop. A friend of mine put on the same springs and had the same issues. Pfadt sent him the correct front springs at NO COST. Pfadt wanted me to spend an extra $150 for the right equipment, saying my friends deal was a one time thing....although the exact same issue as me, OP, and a few others. Come on Pfadt....do the right thing.
Do you happen to have the part number on the springs they sent your friend? The ones on my coilovers are front: Z/M P1396 rear: 57-193-104,9.
MiSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #38
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Guys, just so everyone is clear, talking about "X.X" drop isn't going to get to the bottom of any situation. Camaro's have variances as much as .5" difference from the factory, and as a result you can take the same set of coilovers and swap them on two different cars at the same ride height and get a "total drop from stock" difference. That is why we always need actual ride heights to understand what is going on so there are apples to apples comparisons.

The way customers order Camaro coilovers is that the standard high performance spring package comes stock on the Pfadt coilovers. If you want ADDITIONAL lowering and as a result a softer spring setup, you have to order the GMPP spring package. That is how we achieve the additional lowering. The springs that came with your coilovers function as intended and are indeed the correct springs. The coilover shocks themselves are capable of functioning perfectly down to appx. 2" level with the right spring package which is an additional cost and is called the GMPP Coilover Package, as they are official GM Performance Parts. 1.75" lowering is a ton for a high-performance coilover that has stiffer spring rates for better performance. The GMPP package get you a little lower with less spring rate.

Here are the links to the two website pages:

Standard:
http://store.pfadtracing.com/2010-ca...-street-track/

GMPP:
http://store.pfadtracing.com/2010-ca...pp-adjustable/
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #39
gmg69

Drives: 2010 Twin Turbo SS, Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Guys, just so everyone is clear, talking about "X.X" drop isn't going to get to the bottom of any situation. Camaro's have variances as much as .5" difference from the factory, and as a result you can take the same set of coilovers and swap them on two different cars at the same ride height and get a "total drop from stock" difference. That is why we always need actual ride heights to understand what is going on so there are apples to apples comparisons.

The way customers order Camaro coilovers is that the standard high performance spring package comes stock on the Pfadt coilovers. If you want ADDITIONAL lowering and as a result a softer spring setup, you have to order the GMPP spring package. That is how we achieve the additional lowering. The springs that came with your coilovers function as intended and are indeed the correct springs. The coilover shocks themselves are capable of functioning perfectly down to appx. 2" level with the right spring package which is an additional cost and is called the GMPP Coilover Package, as they are official GM Performance Parts. 1.75" lowering is a ton for a high-performance coilover that has stiffer spring rates for better performance. The GMPP package get you a little lower with less spring rate.

Standard:

GMPP:
Finally, someone explains this in simple terms!
gmg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #40
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post

Standard:

GMPP:

100% correct.. We have ordered purpose built GMPP packages before, but we have also purchased just the springs before to change up on the "base" featherlights.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #41
MiSTER

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM Camaro, 1988 6.6L IROC
If you didn't want to sacrifice the designed performance of the coilover with the higher rate spring, why would you go with a softer spring? If you're running out of adjustment with a particular height spring, typically you'd go with a longer or shorter coilspring to achieved desired ride height as long as you don't hit coil bind or reach max stroke of the dampener. The difference of a 275 lbs 8" long coilspring and a 275 lbs 10" coilspring is that you have 2" of additional adjustment as long as it doesn't interfere with the maximum damper stroke or coil bind. It's done all the time with other coilovers.

Last edited by MiSTER; 07-15-2013 at 09:41 PM.
MiSTER is offline   Reply With Quote