Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
grahak2

Drives: 2021 scatpack challenger 6spd cinna
downshifting for speed

Hi,

After I had the LS3 for a while I noticed how 6th gear is just a cruising speed and to get any passing power you got to get into 5th. Sometimes I want more power than 5th and want to shift into 4th but am scared I might miss and get into 2nd and damage my engine since I am going over the max speed for 2nd.

When I downshift into 5th if I missed and hit 3rd I would still be under the max speed for 3rd.

Just wondering how many of you guys do down shift into 4th or even 3rd when you need more power and if you miss 4th and hit 2nd and are over the max speed for 2nd is this an instant push rod bend or problem or if you get it into a higher gear quick will it be okay.

I don't need to do this often usually 5th is good but I got about 15 miles of open road and every once in a while when I pass the person going slower they want to challenge me and I hate to give them the feeling they could hang and have someone trying to compete when I could just get on down the road.

I've been driving a manual for 25 yrs but this is my 1st one that had this much power, so I rarely misshift, but if once is a enough to cause a big problem I might want to not do it on a car that is only 6 months old.

I know this post could cause negative feedback for the if you want to drive fast use the track but I am not street racing or challenging anyone just enjoying the car when there is room too.

Thanks,
Kevin
grahak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I do not think it will allow you to shift into a gear in which your engine speed will be damaging.
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #3
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
3rd-4th is the natural position for the shifter. You have to pull for 1st-2nd and push for 5th-6th.
You would have to really try to miss shifting down to 3rd or 4th from either 5th or 6th.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I do not think it will allow you to shift into a gear in which your engine speed will be damaging.
Hi,

I was hoping that. Will it grind at least so you know? Thought I read where a guy shifted into 1st and caused some damage.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 05-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #5
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
3rd-4th is the natural position for the shifter. You have to pull for 1st-2nd and push for 5th-6th.
You would have to really try to miss shifting down to 3rd or 4th from either 5th or 6th.
See your point, and agree but if it can been shifted into any gear at any speed it makes me a little scared. I had a civic and if you tried to shift into 1st above its speed band it would grind so you would not put it in there.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 05-24-2016, 10:20 PM   #6
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahak2 View Post
Hi,

I was hoping that. Will it grind at least so you know? Thought I read where a guy shifted into 1st and caused some damage.

Thanks,
Kevin
Well, I have an auto but from my previous experiences with later model manual cars, you are usually blocked from down shifting too far. I would assume the Camaro has this as well, or at least grind horribly.
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:38 PM   #7
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
I don't see how u can go from 6th to 2nd instead of 4th unless you have a seizure while shifting
Old 05-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #8
Clammy Clemens
Z2M

Drives: Oxford White 2014 Mustang GT
The Camaro is designed to literally not allow you to shift if the shift will damage the engine. I've accidentally hit a paddle shifter driving once and it told me the shift wasn't allowed.
Clammy Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #9
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammy Clemens View Post
The Camaro is designed to literally not allow you to shift if the shift will damage the engine. I've accidentally hit a paddle shifter driving once and it told me the shift wasn't allowed.
I think OP is driving a manual.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 PM   #10
Clammy Clemens
Z2M

Drives: Oxford White 2014 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
I think OP is driving a manual.
Oh, is it not the same for all transmissions?
Clammy Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #11
Blazer098

Drives: 2015 Summit White SS
I understand your concern, but you shouldn't have to worry about going to first or second. I downshift to third and fourth on the highway all the time and I've never had a problem with getting the wrong gear.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:43 PM   #12
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer098 View Post
I understand your concern, but you shouldn't have to worry about going to first or second. I downshift to third and fourth on the highway all the time and I've never had a problem with getting the wrong gear.
Ok, thanks.

Kevin
Old 05-25-2016, 12:19 AM   #13
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
I don't see how u can go from 6th to 2nd instead of 4th unless you have a seizure while shifting
Well this guy misshifted from 5th to 2nd and if he could I figure I could.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423773

Sorry to the op of the link above for bringing back up I just remember reading this.

Kevin
Old 05-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #14
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammy Clemens View Post
Oh, is it not the same for all transmissions?
No, with the manual transmission, you're actually moving a shift linkage to manually move gears inside of the transmission. With your paddle shifter on an automatic transmission, you're basically just electronically asking solenoids to move some stuff around inside of the transmission.

They differ quite a bit.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote