Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
caratemymoney

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
First 5th gen.. is this the dreaded AFM?

So I just bought a 2010 2SS and it's a pretty amazing car

Except when i'm going slow. I'm in NYC so there's a ton of traffic. If i'm going 15-30mph or so and i'm basically coasting or very light throttle and I want to go a little faster, I feel a light vibration or bog. Is this the AFM i've seen all these horrible things about? It feels alot like the torque converter shudder in my old mustang but nowhere near as harsh, maybe more like going over a light rumble strip for a second

Last edited by caratemymoney; 10-11-2016 at 07:31 PM.
caratemymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
The MDS system in my previous vehicle, 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4L was far more noticeable and rough than the AFM on these cars. Well mine anyway.

I *think* you can tune it out. There is a delete kit available
Old 10-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Yup thats likely it but it can be tuned out or use a Range device to disable it. My advice don't waste money on the Range (I did) and pay a wee bit more for a custom tune from Dynosteve on here. It will kill the AFM and wake that L99 up into something wild!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
First off you must have the L99 Auto to have AFM. If it's an "exhaust noise" that's what it probably
is but their shouldn't be any shudder imo. The AFM on my SS never really bothers me even with
my Solo aftermarket exhaust. Don't notice it.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
AFM is drreaded lol wtf. Your acting like there's something majorly wrong with the car. It's a technological advancement.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #6
caratemymoney

i'll get it tuned out of gears 1-4 probably this weekend

if I leave my obd scantool / bluetooth will it force it into v8 mode all the time?
Old 10-12-2016, 03:07 AM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
do you have a manual or auto transmission? only the auto has AFM. your scan tool wont keep it in V8 you need it tuned or a range device.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
caratemymoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
do you have a manual or auto transmission? only the auto has AFM. your scan tool wont keep it in V8 you need it tuned or a range device.
It's auto... if I use the paddle shift it's nice and smooth all the time
Old 10-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by caratemymoney View Post
i'll get it tuned out of gears 1-4 probably this weekend
Tune it out completely! You obviously don't like it and you really don't need. AFM is a scam GM pulled on the government to avoid the gas-guzzler penalty. At continuous slow speeds (like city driving) it's maddening. At highway speeds (where 5th and 6th is most often used - certainly 6th) you won't really notice a drop in MPGs. Just get rid of it completely - your L99 will love you for it, and you will to.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
It could also be something else..... depending on the traffic speed, or gear the car is in, or how hard/easy you are on the throttle, it may be trying to find the right gear you want to be in. Like it's wanting to either downshift or maybe trying to hold that gear.

Mine will bog like that if I am coming off the interstate on an exit ramp at a good speed and slowing hard as I approach a Yield. As the engine rpms are coming down as I slow and see the coast is clear and back on the throttle, the car was still downshifting and now I'm on the throttle hard again. There is a slight bog right at that point. But that is the only time I have experienced it.

I didn't usually see AFM kick in unless I'm cruising at a set speed for a short time. I have it tuned out now.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #11
scots67

Drives: 2012 ss rs convertable
Get with dyno steve, let him hook you up! you will not regret it. People that try to tell themselves its not bad or you will get used to it, are just plain missing the boat! you will fall in love with your car all over again. AFM is just plain wrong
scots67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
Z06-SS

Drives: 2016 Z06
At only 900 miles I couldn't take it no longer......SCT tuner w/Dyno Steve took care of the AFM and improved performance.
Z06-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #13
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
Just did a long tube header and tune on my 2014 1SS L99 Auto. Night and day difference!! With the tune the AFM is turned off. I have all 8 all the time. My Camaro takes off like a rabid cheetah!!! LOL!!!!!

Congrats and have fun!!
Old 10-13-2016, 06:38 AM   #14
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
If there is a shudder...and you list a 2010, there was an update to the T/C lockup points at low load / rpm / speed scenario that GM updated. It is possible that your are downlevel on your GM code version.

That said, the right custom tune will bring you up to date as well as "improve" on what was stock.

AFM when done right should only really be heard through a different exhaust note and only felt in your wallet by potentially getting better fuel economy. There is a person on this forum, pir4te, down in AU that is doing some great things with AFM & VVT on his Holden. Good power and good economy and many trouble free miles.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote