Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 10-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #15
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
You ever ridden a horse? You really should consider a tune if you add an CAI. Read about vectorsport tunes in the forum. They offer a plug and play to your upgrades. You can also return the settings to stock when you take the car into the dealer if your worried.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #16
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAHURRY View Post
What do yall mean by bucking?...Also, If I am not planning on a tune(cause
of warranty) should I stay away from OTR intakes?
2 people have supposedly had this issue, one of which is for the most part an issue with his car and not the intake because it was tested on one other camaro, and then resold to another customer that has a camaro as well in which neither car had any issue bucking. A tune should be something considered with any performance part install in my opinion to optimize it, no 2 cars run exactly the same really, which is why a tune will efficiently dial it in for the mods installed, or even in stock condition believe it or not.

Vector has installed (I believe) 7 of our OTR intakes and tuned them now, so that isn't such a bad idea as either.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #17
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
Hmmmm kind of sounds like what I posted? LOL......Thanks Mike!
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
You guys who are riding the fence as far as getting a tune should realize that you are leaving a nice chunk of hp and torque on the table by staying on the stock tune. You are also not getting the best mileage that you could be getting by having it on the stock tune which is a touch rich from the factory. As far as warranty stuff goes, if you do indeed hurt the motor or drivetrain down the road and take it to the dealer for warranty work they will look at more than the tune. You could have the stock tune in there, but if they see headers, a cat-back, CAI, bald rear tires, etc, you could be in a bit of trouble anyways, stock tune or not.

Some of you guys have little faith in the strength of GM powerplants, lol. People have been pushing these motors with lots of boost to well over 700hp without a hitch.

Go have some fun with your cars and stop worrying so much! I'd bet that most of your 5th gens aren't daily drivers anyways.
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #19
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Go have some fun with your cars and stop worrying so much! I'd bet that most of your 5th gens aren't daily drivers anyways.
Well mine is and I already have 6300 miles on her after just 4 months. 'Must be nice to have a 2nd car.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
You guys who are riding the fence as far as getting a tune should realize that you are leaving a nice chunk of hp and torque on the table by staying on the stock tune. You are also not getting the best mileage that you could be getting by having it on the stock tune which is a touch rich from the factory. As far as warranty stuff goes, if you do indeed hurt the motor or drivetrain down the road and take it to the dealer for warranty work they will look at more than the tune. You could have the stock tune in there, but if they see headers, a cat-back, CAI, bald rear tires, etc, you could be in a bit of trouble anyways, stock tune or not.

Some of you guys have little faith in the strength of GM powerplants, lol. People have been pushing these motors with lots of boost to well over 700hp without a hitch.

I understand your point of view.

But, after 3 transmissions in my 4th gen, nothing can replace that warranty....over $3k covered by that warranty...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #21
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAkrish View Post
fldrummer, go see Jeremy!!!!
Actually, I have, but just to watch him work on some SSRs. Unfortunately, no Camaros... How do you like your ported TB and tune? Did you do a street or dyno tune? PM me if this is getting too off-topic. Thanks.

Last edited by fldrummer; 10-28-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #22
joelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldrummer View Post
Well mine is and I already have 6300 miles on her after just 4 months. 'Must be nice to have a 2nd car.
You can afford a $35,000+ SS Camaro but you can't afford a beater car? My daily driver is a little old Chrysler Cirrus that I picked up for $1,000. Going on year number 2 for me with it. When it dies I will get another little beater car.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #23
joelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I understand your point of view.

But, after 3 transmissions in my 4th gen, nothing can replace that warranty....over $3k covered by that warranty...
Ah, the old 4L60E blues, lol. I grenaded two of them myself, I feel your pain. My point is that some of you guys will get headers and other not-so-easy-to-remove mods that will void your warranty just like a reflash will. Any part on your car that ups the hp by even a small amount could be considered harmful to the drivetrain in the dealers eyes.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #24
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
Ah, the old 4L60E blues, lol. I grenaded two of them myself, I feel your pain. My point is that some of you guys will get headers and other not-so-easy-to-remove mods that will void your warranty just like a reflash will. Any part on your car that ups the hp by even a small amount could be considered harmful to the drivetrain in the dealers eyes.
Yeh, but the dealer (by law) can not void your warranty for headers, CAI and catbacks....Unless they can prove that one of the above caused the problem.

But when you go and get a tune..well..thats it...goodbye warranty,NO acceptions.

I swear...sometimes I wish I wasnt such a worry wart...and say...the heck
with it...Go get a tune, supercharger, cam and all,and then off to the track
and run the sh#t out of it.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #25
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
You can afford a $35,000+ SS Camaro but you can't afford a beater car? My daily driver is a little old Chrysler Cirrus that I picked up for $1,000. Going on year number 2 for me with it. When it dies I will get another little beater car.
Amen, I just picked up a 95 Lumina for $1900. Clean as a whistle, one owner, drives very smooth. It will do just fine as my winter ride.
One downside though, everyone says it's a grandpa car.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #26
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Quote:
It's not the cost of a beater, it's having to insure it and rates in my area of the country suck! Trust me, I would've kept my old 95 grand am 3.1 years ago, had USAA given me a break on insuring it, along w/ the car I replaced it with. It only had 85K miles on it too! Then again, w/ any beater, you never know when something might have to get fixed, which is why I keep getting new cars in the first place--peace of mind!
Old 10-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #27
camaros and vettes
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2008 Corvette
i have the new era otr and have felt some jumping when cold and warm. at idle and at speed going down the road. i haven't really thought much about it. i figured it had to do with the maf sensor.
camaros and vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #28
joelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldrummer View Post
It's not the cost of a beater, it's having to insure it and rates in my area of the country suck! Trust me, I would've kept my old 95 grand am 3.1 years ago, had USAA given me a break on insuring it, along w/ the car I replaced it with. It only had 85K miles on it too! Then again, w/ any beater, you never know when something might have to get fixed, which is why I keep getting new cars in the first place--peace of mind!
Hrmm, I guess I can't complain about my rates then. My cars are all about $650-$750 a year including full collision ($500 deductable). I take my black Z28 off of the road, but I keep my blue one on the road, and of course my little beater car.