Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
This is an extreme example of your blower on meth.

Because our rotors are zero clearance, the rotor finish is very important.

As far as how you should go about meth injection, I've got nothing. I suggest homework & research. Just like modding your car while under factory warranty, you may need to pay to play... same goes for the supercharger. Just because it voids your supercharger warranty doesnt mean you will gain no benefit from it. But, beware that the benefit may come with a cost.
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #16
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika@Magnacharger View Post
This is an extreme example of your blower on meth.

Because our rotors are zero clearance, the rotor finish is very important.

As far as how you should go about meth injection, I've got nothing. I suggest homework & research. Just like modding your car while under factory warranty, you may need to pay to play... same goes for the supercharger. Just because it voids your supercharger warranty doesnt mean you will gain no benefit from it. But, beware that the benefit may come with a cost.
What Model Supercharger?
What vehicle was this on?
How Many Miles?
How Much Blower Overspeed was involved?
Did the supercharger Fail as a Result of the coating coming Off? The rotors appear to be fine otherwise.
Was it sprayed with Straight Meth or Water Meth?
What is the Coating on the rotors made of?

Does this Apply to Current Production Magnachargers?

I would think that Gasoline would have the same affect on this particular coating since it has Ethanol in it if it were Carburated.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Probably a TVS. I'm sure it's not an early MP112. I don't think even the MP112HH/MP122 rotors have that much twist. One thing to consider is that even though you may lose a little coating, the fluid injected is going to take up a bit of the extra clearance The only time you need a good seal is when you're under boost. My Snow system starts coming in at 4psi and is full bore at 6psi. I probably have 60K+ on that MP122. I've been spinning the snot out of it from day one. Started with a 2.8" pulley and more recently a 2.6".
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #18
Clint@A.I.R.
Account Suspended

Drives: 99' Camaro 404 TT
Quote:
What Model Supercharger?
What vehicle was this on?
How Many Miles?
How Much Blower Overspeed was involved?
Did the supercharger Fail as a Result of the coating coming Off? The rotors appear to be fine otherwise.
Was it sprayed with Straight Meth or Water Meth?
What is the Coating on the rotors made of?

Does this Apply to Current Production Magnachargers?
Great questions, you beat me to it. Curious on Jessika@Magnacharger's answer
Clint@A.I.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #19
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Ted, It happens to alot of the Magnachargers with anykind of methenol solution.Seen alot of those throughout the years.

I would figure since alot of people run methenol kit's now and the Magnacharger definitely benefit's from it that someone would come up with a coating that doesn't get affected by it.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #20
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Since I don't have the answers to the questions, I passed this to Jon. Hes been buried in work today and says he will answer ASAP. He is the one that shot the pictures of the blower.
Sorry guys... but we will get you answered!
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #21
Whipple Charged

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Ted, It happens to alot of the Magnachargers with anykind of methenol solution.Seen alot of those throughout the years.

I would figure since alot of people run methenol kit's now and the Magnacharger definitely benefit's from it that someone would come up with a coating that doesn't get affected by it.
Hard coat anodizing or the proper PTFE coating is resistant to it. You have to tear it all apart and mask off, etc. and I'm sure void the warranty.

But I will tell you, methanol itself, is highly corrosive, and if it gets to a certain mixture of oxygen, water and meth, it will turn to acid and eat everything in its path. As long as the motor runs for a moment with the meth system off, this will not be a problem, but I've seen some systems that don't have check valves and during vacuum (idle, shut off, highway), it will suck the water/meth from the system and then when you shut the car off, it will sometimes eat chunks of material. So just make sure you run a check valve so you don't get any leakage.
Whipple Charged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #22
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
wow this is eye popping, what about just straight water inj..i have of this before also
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #23
aet08

Drives: c
do centrifugal blowers like vortech have this issue?
aet08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #24
Slowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aet08 View Post
do centrifugal blowers like vortech have this issue?

nope.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #25
Slowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple Charged View Post
Hard coat anodizing or the proper PTFE coating is resistant to it. You have to tear it all apart and mask off, etc. and I'm sure void the warranty.

But I will tell you, methanol itself, is highly corrosive, and if it gets to a certain mixture of oxygen, water and meth, it will turn to acid and eat everything in its path. As long as the motor runs for a moment with the meth system off, this will not be a problem, but I've seen some systems that don't have check valves and during vacuum (idle, shut off, highway), it will suck the water/meth from the system and then when you shut the car off, it will sometimes eat chunks of material. So just make sure you run a check valve so you don't get any leakage.
Yes it is. I put some in an aluminum cup for awhile to test. Alittle tap with a hammer and it shattered.

Not trying to scare anyone.I recently pulled apart a C5R 427ci we built 5 years ago.Ran 14lbs of boost from a procharger and went through an easy 20-30 gallons of 100% methenol. There was no damage to the aluminum parts of the motor and the pistons/valves looked new from the methenol.
We also always run check valves so it doesn't siphon. I'd say it's safe to everything except maybe the maggie rotors.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #26
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I was thinking about putting a Meth injection kit on my TVS-2300 until seeing this.......

I am not to sure now.....

Watching this close now....
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #27
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2010 View Post
I was thinking about putting a Meth injection kit on my TVS-2300 until seeing this.......

I am not to sure now.....

Watching this close now....
Same here bro!! Will be watching to see what happens.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #28
Meister@Torq

Drives: 2001 Crown Vic
Send a message via AIM to Meister@Torq Send a message via MSN to Meister@Torq
This is usually what happens when spraying methanol after the TB, directly at the rotors. The methanol mixture has not had time to atomize properly and is much more corrosive this way.

We suggest spraying before the TB (just after the mass air meter) to eliminate the possibility of this problem occurring.

Everyone is very worried about their warranty when using meth, however, everyone has forgotten that once your stock 3.8" pulley is changed for anything else (and I can guarantee there is hardly anyone left running this pulley), this will void your warranty.

Magnacharger, why not use a Methanol resistant coating? Your customers are basically demanding for it and I bet would pay an additional fee to know their blower is methanol safe.

To our consumers....we are working on 2-3 upgrades that will drastically reduce air charge temps and solve the issues of methanol getting anywhere near your rotors.
Meister@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote