Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
Maybe you didn't plug them in all the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Never unplugged the signal bulbs. I've been thinking some more and maybe in my excitement with the headlights I didn't actually try them with the car's power on?
Boy I might be embarrassed later lol. Hope that's it tho.

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #17
jmontalvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzySS View Post
Never unplugged the signal bulbs. I've been thinking some more and maybe in my excitement with the headlights I didn't actually try them with the car's power on?
Boy I might be embarrassed later lol. Hope that's it tho.
I would run all tests with the car on and the light knob all the way to the right. That way you'll know if something is wrong or not.

You should do what I do in order to prolong your HIDs life. When you get into the car to turn it on during the day, hold the light knob all the way to the left while you turn on the car. Let it go after the car is on. The lights will not turn on and thus leaving more hours of life left.

|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
Old 03-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
OzzySS

Thanks I'll test again when I get home today. Gotta run by Home Depot and pick up some more silicone to seal the second light and a couple of other things. If all goes well, I should be able to install one light tonight and start routing the halo wiring.
Planned out the retrofit wiring last night. I don't really have a great location for the driver's side ballast. I'm going to mount the control box on the side of my roto-fab, and the passenger ballast is going under the fuse box. Any suggestions for the driver side?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #19
OzzySS

Ok, before I'd only turned the key to accessory, my blinkers do work, I just didn't realize I didn't have the car in ON.
Doh!
Glad that's all it was, even if its a little embarrassing

Old 03-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #20
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Reminds me of the movie SAW..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
jmontalvo

Quote:
Thanks I'll test again when I get home today. Gotta run by Home Depot and pick up some more silicone to seal the second light and a couple of other things. If all goes well, I should be able to install one light tonight and start routing the halo wiring.
Planned out the retrofit wiring last night. I don't really have a great location for the driver's side ballast. I'm going to mount the control box on the side of my roto-fab, and the passenger ballast is going under the fuse box. Any suggestions for the driver side?
Did you fix the halo orientation?

I can send you pics of where everything is installed in my engine bay when I get home tomorrow afternoon.

One thing that made the running of the halo wires into the cabin easier was to tape all the ends together and feed it through the firewall (think that's what it's called). Do you know where you're gonna put the control box?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #22
OzzySS

I did put the halos as a U instead of n. it helped a little bit...I can live with it.
I haven't decided 100% where the halo control box is gonna go. I'm thinking I'll mount it to the side of the center console storage but I just ordered a rear cup holder delete switchplate from emblempros, so I'll probably wait for that to come in before I do a permanent install of the box to save some hassle.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
jmontalvo

Quote:
I did put the halos as a U instead of n. it helped a little bit...I can live with it.
I haven't decided 100% where the halo control box is gonna go. I'm thinking I'll mount it to the side of the center console storage but I just ordered a rear cup holder delete switchplate from emblempros, so I'll probably wait for that to come in before I do a permanent install of the box to save some hassle.
Do you have the 4 pack gauges? Or is it that area empty? That's where I put my control box.

You can always put it just above the break and gas pedals. All you really need is the remote to make them work.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #24
OzzySS

Yeah I've got the gauges. I think I'm gonna do a temporary install for now.
How did you wind up routing your wires thru the firewall? I don't see any good spots on mine.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #25
jmontalvo

What do you mean?

The way I did the install was I removed the entire wheel liner and turned the wheels all the way to the left so that I could see everything. There should be a rubber grommet going towards the cabin. If I remember correctly, your gonna have to poke a hole in it to run the wire. At the same time, you need to look for the grommet on the inside.

It's a lot easier if you have a partner at this step: one will be feeding the wires from the outside and the other will pull it in.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #26
OzzySS

Ah. I wound up drilling a 3/8" by the hood release line. Oh well. I'll have to get a grommet tomorrow. I've been spending tonight installing the hid system. Control box to the side of the cai
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363324534.535995.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  59.5 KB
Driver ballast inside the cai (this was still a stretch on the wiring)
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363324573.104186.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  88.7 KB
Passenger ballast under the fuse box
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363324607.100126.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  82.7 KB
I used some strong outdoors double-sided tape under all of them, plus one of the screws from the cai for the control box. I think it worked out pretty well.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #27
Hayden
You serious Clark?

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LS
How hard would you rate the set up?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #28
OzzySS

For the hids? Really not that bad. Pretty intimidating going into it, but the worst part for me was just opening the lights. Once they're open the rest is pretty easy. Overall I'd put it at 5/10.
If you're going to use silicone, I'd get the caulk tube and a gun. Used that for the second light and it was way easier.