Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #57
bologdl

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT RS
That would be a interesting way to see if their is a part number difference between the 2010 and 2011 Onstar. If they are the same part numbers then it is probably only a firmware issue.

Last edited by bologdl; 03-17-2011 at 02:49 PM.
bologdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #58
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
Can't we just bury this dead horse? I mean, us 2010 Camaro Owners are just going to have to suffer.

BTW, Since I have a M6, I do not have Remote Start from Factory, I will take all the other funcations....I find it hard to believe that Remote Start was the ONLY reason why they will not release it for the 2010 Camaro.
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #59
PSU SS

Drives: 2010 SS
This is what I don't understand about why it will not work for 2010 or any other late model GM vehicle. Say I have Onstar and I lock my keys in my car and I call Onstar to have my doors unlocked. I assume that the person on the other end of the line access's a server to connect to my car via a satellite signal and unlocks my doors. So if somebody somewhere on a computer can preform this function then all the app has to do is connect to that same server. If your phone had to actually connect to the car then there would be connection limitations, such as distance or line of site, that would be an issue and I haven't heard of any issues like that. I don't believe that it's a hardware/firmware issue but again I'm making some broad assumptions on how Onstar works.
PSU SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #60
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU SS View Post
This is what I don't understand about why it will not work for 2010 or any other late model GM vehicle. Say I have Onstar and I lock my keys in my car and I call Onstar to have my doors unlocked. I assume that the person on the other end of the line access's a server to connect to my car via a satellite signal and unlocks my doors. So if somebody somewhere on a computer can preform this function then all the app has to do is connect to that same server. If your phone had to actually connect to the car then there would be connection limitations, such as distance or line of site, that would be an issue and I haven't heard of any issues like that. I don't believe that it's a hardware/firmware issue but again I'm making some broad assumptions on how Onstar works.
But can Onstar remotely start your car? That's the excuse they are using for not releasing the app for 2010.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #61
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
But can Onstar remotely start your car? That's the excuse they are using for not releasing the app for 2010.
I don't miss something that I never had to begin with. It's not a big deal and certainly nothing to loose sleep over or get pissed off at. Plus, I've got a manual, I don't want to remote start my car. I leave it in gear when parked, and 'cause sure as hell, 1st time I'd try to remote start it and forget it's in gear and it'll start/lurch into the curb at work, car in front in a parking lot, or into the wall of my garage.!!!! Think about it....maybe I'm wrong, but aren't the vehicles that are backwards compatible all automatics....no manual tranny vehicles in the bunch?

If ya'll want the damn app/feature then get a 2011+.

I'm with moorepheus...lets bury this and stop beating a dead horse!!! There I said my peace
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #62
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Actually, putz, you apparently never read one word of what I posted in the past.

You needed to have the app NOW NOW NOW. When very obviously from their statements int he release and chat they have been working on it. They couldn't get the remote start to work and therefore won't release it because of that. That sucks, but blame our litigious society on that one. Because people like you will sue them.

You just can't stand to be wrong though.
Sure, I can't stand to be wrong... but unlike YOU, I will not LIE about what I said and what other people said to avoid admitting I was mistaken. Your above recap of what was discussed is a complete fabrication.

You do realize that everything that was discussed is STILL up on the board where people can read it.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #63
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
I agree. I really don't like it at all and wish they would reconsider, maybe just disable that button in the app.

Their point of view I'm sure is that people will bitch that it doesn't work on their car but it does on their buddies. Then someone like Captain Awesome will sue, and even if hes wrong, the PR and monetary expense would be too much.
I think they are afraid that some troll will go around telling people that it won't work because they know more about it than anyone else (even people that design similar products for a living) and then when they enable the Camaro app, the troll will pretend he didn't say any of the things he said and by doing so he incites a huge flamewar on Camaro5.

Since the OnStar people like Camaro5, they refuse to act on Camaro compatibility out of respect for the forum moderators.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #64
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Sure, I can't stand to be wrong... but unlike YOU, I will not LIE about what I said and what other people said to avoid admitting I was mistaken. Your above recap of what was discussed is a complete fabrication.

You do realize that everything that was discussed is STILL up on the board where people can read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I think they are afraid that some troll will go around telling people that it won't work because they know more about it than anyone else (even people that design similar products for a living) and then when they enable the Camaro app, the troll will pretend he didn't say any of the things he said and by doing so he incites a huge flamewar on Camaro5.

Since the OnStar people like Camaro5, they refuse to act on Camaro compatibility out of respect for the forum moderators.

Ahh I was looking forward to your reply old friend. I missed you and your know it all ways, really I did.

Yes the discussion is right out there for everyone to see,

Here is where our argument started:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=96362&page=7

And Continued:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...112908&page=16

Cliff notes: I agreed with you that it could be a software issue, I also even said that I understand that your knowledge of how it works is more than mine. I did speculate based upon what I do know as to why it doesn't work. and then as a matter of fact i did say:

Quote:
.....Very likely they did not want to release the ability for it to work on Gen8 hardware based cars if the functionality was crippled or unreliable. Otherwise I could just imagine the bitching and moaning would be 10x as much as people already have their panties in a wad.

Its a smart move on GMs part to only release the app for the cars it will be completely functional with, and give extra development time with the possibility of it never working, for previous gen hardware. Despite what everyone seems to think, they can't release a crippled app to people, because for everyone of us who will "understand" theres WAY more people out there who will have no clue about cars and don't surf sites like this and just tell everyone its complete shit because it doesn't work right 100% of the time.
Which is basically EXACTLY what happened if you take the time to read the responses of OnStar to the questions about why it doesn't work now that they made their 2010 release. But no you can't listen to anyone elses opinion, you know it all and it must work and thats that. Well if you're an expert go there and fix it for them!

So now they released coverage for a whole bunch of 2010 cars, some of which I'd bet people could give 2 shits about an app like this (Impala anyone??), but didn't release it for the Camaro. They worked on it, they responded to questions on it, business sense would say that they would make it work with one of their most popular cars.

So now we have you, who swears he has the answer when while you do know about how these systems work, you still AREN'T AN ENGINEER THERE.

So lets hear it:

1) Why doesn't it work when they have it working for other 2010s?
2) What is their reason for it not working?

I'm interested to hear your response, then I'm done with you, because you're like talking to a wall.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #65
bologdl

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT RS
I really believe the answer lies in the 2011 OnStar part number and the 2010. If they are the same part number that means the processor they are using for the firmware is the same for the 2010 and 2011. If they are different they might have changed the micro processor used for Onstar. This will affect the firmware levels and why they cannot reprogram the 2010 OnStar. If they are the same the the answer could be with the servers that control this OnStar app. They sold alot of 2010 Camaro's and that would increase the work load on those servers something they might not be interested in doing because of the new demand levels. I just looking for a honest answer it doesn't matter to me I can just call Onstar or use the app they are the same to me.
bologdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #66
PatsRS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorepheus View Post
Can't we just bury this dead horse? I mean, us 2010 Camaro Owners are just going to have to suffer.

BTW, Since I have a M6, I do not have Remote Start from Factory, I will take all the other funcations....I find it hard to believe that Remote Start was the ONLY reason why they will not release it for the 2010 Camaro.
I agree. I have OnStar on all 3 vehicles and I have a Blackberry so I have no hope of using this app. This horse is dead just bury it.

GM ALL THE WAY!

PatsRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #67
HBMike

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green HBR
I think i would enable the lock features and put a line of code something along these lines into the app

If make-model = "camaro2010"
{
remotestart.button.visible = 'false'
}
Else
{
remotestart.button.visible = 'true'
}

Turn that shit on already! And yes, it really is that easy.
Wilwood 6 Pistons -Magnaflow X-Cat back - CDC Havoc Styling - TSW Wheels - Roadwire Custom Green Leather Interior - Hotchkis Race Suspension - Whiteline Flatout - KW V3 Suspension - 3M Wraps - Toyo Tires - IPF Supercharger - Vortech V3 - Airaid Filters
HBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #68
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMike View Post
I think i would enable the lock features and put a line of code something along these lines into the app

If make-model = "camaro2010"
{
remotestart.button.visible = 'false'
}
Else
{
remotestart.button.visible = 'true'
}

Turn that shit on already! And yes, it really is that easy.
+1 give me the code and I'll write for OnStar! So easy to run diagnostics on the car remotely, but so hard to do a firmware update? Ya right

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #69
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

This is funny....

Quote:
Cliff notes: I agreed with you that it could be a software issue, I also even said that I understand that your knowledge of how it works is more than mine. I did speculate based upon what I do know as to why it doesn't work. and then as a matter of fact i did say:
Here's your very first post on the subject, after I educated you on why the excuses being made by OnStar were fiction:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome
.........blah blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda yadda..............

In conclusion, there's no way that this app cannot be used with a 2010 Camaro.
Do you WORK THERE that you know exactly how their system works?

Don't you think they would (if they could) make this work because based on the uproar here a LOT of people would be willing to fork over $200-$300 a year for an OnStar subscription whereas if you read most Onstar threads before there seems to be a general hatred here.

Theres a lot of "experts" talking out of their ass in this thread. Seriously you have no clue.
In your VERY FIRST post, you not only try and be "cute" by quoting my enumerated facts and replacing them with "blah blah blah", but you singled out my statement that nothing was preventing the app from working with the 2010 and said I couldn't know how the system works and then dismissed everything I said with 3 insults in 2 sentences (Quotation marks around "expert", accusing of talking out my @$$, and not having a clue).

You are slipping. You only called me a derogatory name once in this thread. You're losing your touch.

Then you proceed in subsequent posts to "prove" that there was a legitimate reason the 2010 was not supported and that it is obvious to everyone that it couldn't work on a 2010 because (wait for it....) they would make more money if they didn't need to pay the operators to take OnStar calls, so obviously they would have made it work if at all possible because they want to make more money.

After numerous ""experts"" agreed with my side, you grudgingly modified your position to something that would allow you to spin it in your favor no matter which way it turned out.

I see you took advantage of your inconsistent posts as expected.

P.S. If you think that insulting someone by saying talking to them is like "talking to a wall" you should be aware that they could make a pretty good case for the position that talking to you is analogous to talking to a stopped up water closet.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #70
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
1) Why doesn't it work when they have it working for other 2010s?
2) What is their reason for it not working?

I'm interested to hear your response, then I'm done with you, because you're like talking to a wall.
1) For the same reason it didn't work with the 2010 traverse, tahoe, impala, etc. when first released.

2) They didn't make our cars a priority (possibly due to lower sales volume)

I only have ONE question for you:

Why do you believe ANYTHING they say when we all remember that their initial statement was that NO 2010 cars would get the app because they don't have the vaunted "Gen 9" hardware?

Nobody could be that gullible...