Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Dave Ramsey, Are you working on his baby steps?

Ok for some of you this may seem like vodoo or some hooky kind of crap, but i was wondering if anyone is taking his advice and running with it.

If you're not familiar with who Dave Ramsey is I suggest you take a peak at this site, before you form your opinion.

Where I'm going with this is, I'm kind of wondering who else on C5 is trying their best to get out of debt and to be able to "Live like no other". My wife and I have been working on this for about 3 months now and we have been able to do Baby step 1, Save $1,000. and now we are attacking Baby step 2, Kill all debt minus the house. We have been able to pay of 5 credit cards and are looking to pay of 3 more by the start of next month.

I can't get over how fast your able to pay off debt if you just follow his methods.

So here's my deal, I want to give away 1 copy of his book, Total Money Makeover! What I would like you to do with out getting to personal, is to discribe how you have been struggling with finances and how you would like to read this book. I will personally read each story and then pick one that I would feel that could benifit from it the most.
Now I'm not saying none of you could benifit from this book or method, and that's why I wanted to create this thread. Maybe we could get some success stories to tie in with this. I would love to hear what you guys have to say.

So if you're serious about getting out of Debt, let's hear what you have to say.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
After reading the post my eyes immediately went to your username and post count to make sure I read it right the first time. Primed and ready to throttle a spammer. lol

Yup, I'm familiar with his methods. It's actually pretty popular and has been for a while. There is a name for that method but I can't remember it.

We didn't use the exact method and we were very fortunate to start making more money to help pay ours off. Never really got in bad trouble to start but we are debt free for the most part.

I struggle every day not to put a set of Forgelines on a credit card. But I can't allow myself.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
armysig
Catch me if you can

PQ, Thanks for the keen eyes. I'm not tryin to sell anything, just trying to share an experiance and I was wondering how others can relate. The book give away is a little bonus, as I ordered a bunch to give away for Christmas and have a few left over. I thought it would be cool to share a copy(or two) and maybe help someone else out.

I am in no way promoting anything political or anything that would create a bunch of contraversy. Just simple methods of using money.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
PQ, Thanks for the keen eyes. I'm not tryin to sell anything, just trying to share an experiance and I was wondering how others can relate. The book give away is a little bonus, as I ordered a bunch to give away for Christmas and have a few left over. I thought it would be cool to share a copy(or two) and maybe help someone else out.

I am in no way promoting anything political or anything that would create a bunch of contraversy. Just simple methods of using money.
Hope I didn't come across that way. I totally get and appreciate what you are doing.

It really does work. Bonnies brother did the same thing WITH Ramsey as the catalyst. We used the formula but were able to really knock it out because our business really did well early on.

If I recall correctly he has a good method to tackle the mortgage too.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Ahh yes, the Dave Ramsey program. Not really rocket science. Destroy credit cards, pay off ALL debt (smallest to biggest, initially), start emergency savings and long-term savings, negotiate purchases with cash and only use cash in the future.

Ok. His program costs over $100 in a lecture environment, I just saved you $100. I'm joking to some extent, but I guess some people need a blueprint.
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
Ahh yes, the Dave Ramsey program. Not really rocket science. Destroy credit cards, pay off ALL debt (smallest to biggest, initially), start emergency savings and long-term savings, negotiate purchases with cash and only use cash in the future.

Ok. His program costs over $100 in a lecture environment, I just saved you $100. I'm joking to some extent, but I guess some people need a blueprint.
+1, managing your own finances is not rocket science people.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post

Well, since the OP is giving the book away for free, the OP is saving someone money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarowa View Post
There is also a spiritual benefit should one want it as well.

Some people DO need a kick in the butt.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Well, since the OP is giving the book away for free, the OP is saving someone money.
A true "Win-Win" situation
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
armysig
Catch me if you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarowa View Post
You're correct it's not rocket science, but since big banks have pulled the wool over a majority of the population, most don't know or understand how to do it correctly.

Every person makes their own choices, but when those choices are "guided via advertisement" then we lose focus on how to make deccisions correct.

Now this does not apply to all, there are a lot of good people whom were taught the right way to manange money, but it seems in the last 50 years people have gotten into the trap of barrowing and over extending themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
There is also a spiritual benefit should one want it as well.

Some people DO need a kick in the butt.
I didn't want to mention that, as it sparks a fire that can't be put out, Now I fully agree that some of us DO need a kick in the butt to get it going.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
My Camaro, house etc. is paid for without the help of Dave Ramsey.

It really depends on the individuals' willpower to manage their money correctly. Saving money and paying off debt is like quitting smoking...you have to want to do it. If you're not serious about it you'll never do it. Dave Ramsey is the Nicorette and Chantix of debt addiction. He is making money from those people whose will is not strong enough to do it on their own. A stop debt "cessation" program if you will.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
ramsey's got some good techniques. his envelope method using cash for week to week living has saved me from the perils of being in deep debt. I also like that he leverages his gift of financial knowledge and uses it as a ministry to serve others. awesome stuff

Post Tenebras Lux

full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post

I didn't want to mention that, as it sparks a fire that can't be put out, Now I fully agree that some of us DO need a kick in the butt to get it going.
Well Ramsey has helped people on the money side alone. And he HAS helped people.

It's become the accepted norm to be in debt. The vast majority of Americans HAVE to be. Home, and cars. Many end up deep in medical as well.

But it's become accepted to be in frivolous debt as well. Overbuying a car or home, credit cards for goods and entertainment, etc..................

And banks have the money to loan to other people because of the interest rates they charge the first people.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post

It really depends on the individuals' willpower to manage their money correctly. Saving money and paying off debt is like quitting smoking...you have to want to do it. If you're not serious about it you'll never do it. Dave Ramsey is the Nicorette and Chantix of debt addiction. He is making money from those people whose will is not strong enough to do it on their own. A stop debt "cessation" program if you will.
While that may or may not be accurate for some people, it won't be in all cases.

Nicorette HAS actually helped people to stop smoking. It might be hard to understand but some people just need help. How about the young high school dropout lady who got married and then later divorced and during her marriage her name was used for the credit they needed while her husband did all the finances? I've seen it. That lady needs help.

There are tons of situation where a guy like Ramsey can help. Sure, those people can do it without Ramsey but they just don't know how. Nobody is just gonna come to them and show them most of the time. And I believe the debt help companies take a pretty good cut. (not sure but guessing)

Some people really do need to be shown.

It does help a lot of people.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
armysig
Catch me if you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post

I see your point and it's very valid. Now for people that use his teachings don't have to spend a single dime on the program. He has it laid out pretty well on his website. Now if you want to get more indepth and have someone act as a couch for you, I think he's helped a lot of people.

For me I have spent some money, I'm a member of his website, I use his budgeting tool and I have purchased a lot of the books, and I have given them away as gifts. Out of the 10 books I bought and gifted to some people, every last one of them read the book. I have had all of them call me and thank me because now they understand the mistakes they were making.

For me it feels good knowing that I'm fixing my life long mistakes now, so I can not only be financially better for my family, but give in the way of donations and help others when needed.

Thanks everyone for the responses, It's cool to hear from you all.