Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #281
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Great. Give me $73k, I'll buy a Camaro SS, bolt on a Supercharger, upgrade the springs, put on swaybars, cam, headers, cold air intake and new exhaust. Then I'll throw on some really cool 22 / 21 Foose rims. That's about 21k. Hmmm.... okay an upgraded stereo. Hmmm...... can't spend it all, and at this point I can't see the Benz AMG anymore in my rear view mirror.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #282
67for/me

Drives: 1967 Camaro
But the most important thing to remember is. They have no connection to these American cars. The car is deeply rooted in all of our history, our childhood, our memories. We often drive cars that evoke memories. Your not going to get stopped in Britain at a gas station or should I say a petro filling station {what ever} by someone who says yea my dad had a Camaro back in {put date here}. They hate them because they mean nothing to them.
on Top Gear
67for/me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #283
SummitWhiteLS

Drives: 2011 Mustang V6 Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by green man View Post
When I was in Manchester 2 years ago i was out to dinner with a few of our Briitish customers and we were talking Top Gear ... They were quick to point out that he (Clarkson) hates Americans and thinks we're all fat stupid red necks. I replied that's why I like him, because he's right.

This thread just re-enforces that stereotype.
First off, Clarkson is NOT right.

Second, the responses from most of the people on this this thread merely reinforces that Americans can easily spot illogical/unfair/biased reporting when they see it (no matter how entertaining it might be).

Third, if you believe your false notion about Americans, then feel free to permanently stay there the next time your in Manchester.

Finally, it must be nice to make your money here ... and then go over to other countries and trash the very country you came from.

How hypocritically convenient of you ...
SummitWhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #284
SummitWhiteLS

Drives: 2011 Mustang V6 Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67for/me View Post
... the most important thing to remember is. They have no connection to these American cars. The car is deeply rooted in all of our history, our childhood, our memories.
^Correct.

And we need to remember what you said, because when GM is selling a car in the US that's what they're thinking too.

Camaro owners want fast, well made, good looking, affordable vehicles.

An "upgraded" $80,000 Camaro SS that was only 1/2 sec quicker in the quarter mile and 3 sec faster on a Top Gear test track would NOT sell well in America.

Thank Goodness ...
SummitWhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #285
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2016 Camaro #182300 | 2SS | HBM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
If I could afford a Mercedes AMG, I'd get another Camaro

My Journals:
Erick's Mistress - Violet 2016 2SS
#182300 | 2SS | HBM |
Erick’s Mistress - 2010 2LT
#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #286
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
I sent them an email!. Offered them to come to Michigan and test our Pedders Camaro at Gingerman. I did mention our Pedders Camaro can turn a 1.38gs on street tires. I also gave them the video of Paul Tracy driving our Pedders Camaro at the Optima Challenge. Then asked if their $85-90,000 mile Mercedes can do that?

Here is the video I gave them

There is not a 2010 Camaro in the USA with street tires that can out perform the Pedders Camaro on a open track. PERIOD!

Will be interesting if they respond!

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #287
mefox3

Drives: porsche cayman s
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKTECH View Post
You have to consider the source and region....A car with a V8 and lots of muscle is a "muscle car" in Europe.

Also, Hammond did BS a bit. The AMG is a 6.3L and not a 6.2L (not that it makes the comparison any more fair).

The better comparison for them would've been with an M3 or Audi V8 which are both available in 2 doors and both are kick ass cars that could potentially put the hurt on a Camaro on the TG test track but still cost twice as much.
Actually, while mercedes insists the engine is a 6.3L its actual displacement is 6.2.

http://www.carenthusiast.com/reviews...rst+drive.html

But I completely agree that it is not the right car to be tested against the camaro.

Last edited by mefox3; 07-14-2010 at 04:26 AM. Reason: spelling error
mefox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #288
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
I sent them an email!. Offered them to come to Michigan and test our Pedders Camaro at Gingerman. I did mention our Pedders Camaro can turn a 1.38gs on street tires. I also gave them the video of Paul Tracy driving our Pedders Camaro at the Optima Challenge. Then asked if their $85-90,000 mile Mercedes can do that?

Here is the video I gave them

There is not a 2010 Camaro in the USA with street tires that can out perform the Pedders Camaro on a open track. PERIOD!

Will be interesting if they respond!

mike
dms
They've tested the ROush Mustang and a few others modded cars so I don't see why they wouldn't one day have your car on their show. That would be a huge boost to your brand name and it would show that a Camaro with your modest modifications can outdo pretty much any $80,000 Mercedes they throw at it and even quite a few $100,000 supercars.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #289
95GranTurismo5.0

Drives: Firebird, mustang
Do any of you actually watch top gear? They all have cars they like, and cars they dont like. They make fun of just about every country. It's all about entertainment and It's sorta funny how all of you take them so seriously lol.

Just this past episode Jeremy, richard, and james went on about how ugly the Porsche panamera Turbo is. And they did like the ZR1 corvette, the only thing jeremy said was that on their test track the audi r8 seemed more stable to him, then when the stig raced both of them. It wasn't even close, the zr1 hammered it.

Remember guys, they are more of an entertainment show then they are factual.
95GranTurismo5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #290
HashimAzzouz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM ~ 2009 Traverse LT
I liked the Camaro even betterafter this! Gas in my country is cheaper than water!! And some stupid guys here still buy the V6!!!!!! Nothing like an SS :-)
HashimAzzouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #291
BluGoose2

Drives: Aqua Blue 2SS/RS, Silver Rally
Are you kidding me! Love my AB 2SS/RS Camaro. If I wanted a AMG, I would sell a Kidney and get one.
BluGoose2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #292
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Anyone who watches this over in Europe will immediately see that a car costing $40,000 less is pretty much an equal in the speed dept. stock vs stock. Add a bolt-on and the Camaro wipes the floor clean against the AMG at the same track. Make it a stick shift instead of the automatic they tested and it would have done better as well.
It's 40,000 British Pounds which is almost $61,000.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #293
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post
It's 40,000 British Pounds which is almost $61,000.

The Merc was over 80,000 pounds hence the twice as much comment either which way you look at it.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #294
ChevyCobb

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GranTurismo5.0 View Post
Do any of you actually watch top gear? They all have cars they like, and cars they dont like. They make fun of just about every country. It's all about entertainment and It's sorta funny how all of you take them so seriously lol.
I have been saying the same thing in this thread man. I dont think a lot of them watch it, so they got offended(lol) by them.
Most dont seem to be even reading the thread and just start throwing bricks.
Dont worry, our post counts are lower so we obviously dont know what we are talking about.
ChevyCobb is offline   Reply With Quote