Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
jty03

Drives: 2SS/RS
Supercharger Do's and Dont's

I lurk a lot on this forum but it has been a substantial part of my free time. I love this community! Anyway, I'm done driving the car bone stock and have a supercharger on my short list for upgrades. There is exactly one shop in town that has a guy I trust to do it.

I have two questions. Which supercharger would you guys recommend? It's not a simple "which one is the most badass" question, but as I read around pricing them, I would like to see what you all have to say! Does the one you installed come with the full kit needed for install, or did you have to buy something else afterward?

The second question for those with blowers is is there a list of do's and don'ts or something to that effect? I know I'm probably gonna lose the #%&@ out my warranty. Info like that. Other things I'll need to upgrade/have tweaked, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
paul2010

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
I personally think the one in the picture below is the best way to go. They have a proven track record and I have not ever heard any complaints about them. The performance of the 2300 is oustanding plus they look balanced and like they are supposed to be there. I think with any of these you need to upgrade the rear half shafts. I also believe the internals must be be built to support the increased amount of hp. Takes the worry out of the question that everyone asks "how long will my motor last" and this is also piece of mind. There are many other parts that I personally upgraded as a matter of personal preference because I wanted mine to be built to last. Lingenfelter Performance Engineering is my choice for my upgrades.
Attached Images

2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Steve@AandACorvette

Drives: Cars
If you get the Vortech System installed by a "top-tier" installer, you can get a 3 yr /36k mile powertrain warranty for an extra few hundred dollars.
Steve@AandACorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
EDISKRAD EHT

Drives: Blown Goat
Depends what you want in your car.

Peak power or torque EVERYWHERE.

Centrifugal will be a good peak power blower, but a roots/twin screw will give you gobs of torque anytime you want it.

Personally I have a Maggie on my GTO and I'll never go with anything but a positive displacement blower again. I F'n LOVE the torque down low.

On the Camaro I'll be going with a Twin Screw though. I have nothing against the Maggie's and think they are great. I just want to go with a Twin Screw because it was an option I never had on the GTO, and I'd like to see the differences first hand.
EDISKRAD EHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDISKRAD EHT View Post
On the Camaro I'll be going with a Twin Screw though. I have nothing against the Maggie's and think they are great. I just want to go with a Twin Screw because it was an option I never had on the GTO, and I'd like to see the differences first hand.
i thought the maggie WAS a twin screw? (roots style)
Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I believe it is.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
maggie is a roots, it basically just pushes air from one side to the other side, where as whipple and Kenne bell are twin screws they actually compress the air within the rotors., twin screws are known to be more efficient allthough the new maggie (tvs) are being extremely efficient as well. leaps and bounds over the previous heatons.

Comparative advantages

The rotary screw compressor has low leakage levels and low parasitic losses vs. roots-type. The supercharger is typically driven directly from the engine's crankshaft via a belt or gear drive. Unlike the Roots type supercharger, the twin-screw exhibits internal compression which is the ability of the device to compress air "within" the housing as it is moved through the device instead of relying upon resistance to flow downstream of the discharge to establish an increase of pressure.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
jty03

Drives: 2SS/RS
Ok, so on paper, how does the procharger compare?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
trey505!

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
I TO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT DOES AND DONT'S JUST GOT MIND DONE TODAY AT G-FORCE HAVE'NT EVEN DROVE MINE YET!! NEW HERE SO DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT??
trey505! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
nfamous209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jty03 View Post
Ok, so on paper, how does the procharger compare?
well currently at 8 psi, dynos are showing that maggies are needing bolt ons, intake exhaust and headers to achieve 530 whp. where as the twin-screws both KB and whipple (which arent out yet) are showing 530+ whp on stock car. now one can argue that intake, headers and exhaust dont help much, but on stock car those mods are good for 40+whp alone. now the twin-screws are not officially out those are just test numbers, actual numbers are should be even higher, 550+whp on stock vehicle, imo
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
nfamous209

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey505! View Post
I TO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT DOES AND DONT'S JUST GOT MIND DONE TODAY AT G-FORCE HAVE'NT EVEN DROVE MINE YET!! NEW HERE SO DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT??
do's, drive it like u stole it , do smoke shows, and have fun. grow a mullet as well. thats a must. get supporting mods, intake exhaust long tubes, maybe a small cam. run some meth for better efficiency and better tuning abilities. = more power obviously.

dont's, well dont up the boost on stock internals. thats really it.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
trey505!

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
I JUST GOT MY #'S FROM THE SHOP THIS IS WHAT MINE IS SHOWING ON DYNO I THINK ITS PREETY GOOD!
Magnacharger TVS 2300 Supercharger @ 8 psi
Kenne Bell BAP
ADM Cold Air Intake
Kooks 1 7/8 Headers
Magnaflow 3" Catback
Nitrous Outlet Maggie N2o Plate (75hp)
MSD Wires NGK TR7 Plugs
Eibach Pro Kit Spring Kit
SJM Line Lock Kit
G-Force Custom Dyno Tune
Dyno Numbers
Motor w TVS
508 RWHP
526 RWTQ
TVS + 75hp n20
623 RWHP
737 RWTQ
Kooks 1 7/8 Headers Magnaflow 3" Catback
Nitrous Outlet Maggie N2o Plate (75hp)
MSD Wires NGK TR7 Plugs
Eibach Pro Kit Spring Kit,SJM Line Lock Kit
G-Force Custom Dyno Tune
TVS + 75hp n20
623 RWHP
737 RWTQ
trey505! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
MrDew

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
What about the driveability of the TVS2300?

I think i've read once that you shouldnt hit the car in low gears and low rpms since this puts the most strain on the internals/drivetrain, anything to it?

And what about mpg's, is it true that the TVS use less under partial load? (i know htis shouldnt be a main concern when getting a supercharger)

Thanks in advance!
MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #14
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Those numbers are right in line with were they should be.

Andy
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote