Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #85
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
The twin carbons are rebuildable right? What's the rebuild kit worth?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #86
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell239 View Post
The twin carbons are rebuildable right? What's the rebuild kit worth?
Thomas at Hendrix-Engineering would answer that best...... but it's about half the original price on the Triple Billet version.
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #87
map61968

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
I went with the Street Slayer twin carbon when my stock clutch gave out after several hundred passes at the drag strip. I couldn't be happier with the street manors and how it performs on the strip. Even when new, the stock clutch would get hot and smell terrible after a few launches. The Street Slayer has never smelled after a full night of racing. The engagement/disengagemet is smooth like butter and holds tons of torque.

I have experienced that awful clutch smell from my stock clutch! Not looking forward to it going out but will definitely consider the Street Slayer as a replacement. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #88
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by map61968 View Post
I have experienced that awful clutch smell from my stock clutch! Not looking forward to it going out but will definitely consider the Street Slayer as a replacement. Thanks!
I was not aware they made a clutch for the V6 car you have in your description. How sure are you?

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
Old 11-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #89
kidd79

Drives: 2010 2SS Silver Ice
I was looking at getting a monster clutch for mine..not going to now after reading this thread. Thanks guys for putting that out there and saving us some headache!! :-)
Old 11-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #90
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd79 View Post
I was looking at getting a monster clutch for mine..not going to now after reading this thread. Thanks guys for putting that out there and saving us some headache!! :-)
Perfect

Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #91
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
I recommend searching about the different aftermarket clutch options on other forums as the Gen5 Camaro uses the same clutch as in the C6 Corvette which first was installed behind an LS7 and can be used in other applications such as F-bodys and GTOs. Gen5s don't have a specially designed clutch as some would have you believe.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #92
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd79 View Post
Before you judge, take a look at our new street twins which utilize the C7 Corvette clutch for a longer life than any other twin disc on the market as it utilizes a vastly improved self adjusting pressure plate assembly with built in pedal stops and "T rivets" that limit floater plate travel - this translates to absolutely zero high rpm shift issues. It is dead silent in a Gen5 Camaro as we just installed one last week and the woman who owns/drives it loved how it feels just like stock.

We'll get you into something that matches what your car needs the first time and doesn't break the bank. Some may argue that spending over $1,800 on a clutch is what it takes to "do it right the first time" - I beg to differ. I know this thread has made a case against our single being too aggressive when compared to a twin disc of another manufacturer... our new street twin is by far a better apples to apples comparison and we're here to prove it.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #93
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Does the Monster twin have puck style discs or full faced? I've had chatter with the puck style discs on two different brands that others claim don't chatter at all.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
Old 11-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #94
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaman96 View Post
Does the Monster twin have puck style discs or full faced? I've had chatter with the puck style discs on two different brands that others claim don't chatter at all.
On the LT1-S street twin they are full faced. On the LT1-SC we use a button style disc... I can build a full face setup if you would like. We're a full service clutch shop, so, any friction that you can dream up can be had.

The issue with running full faced friction in an aggressive form is heat. Heat will kill the clutch if you're slipping it too much. Most often this rears it's ugly head with high hp drag racing on cars with IRS setups. You have to slip the clutch excessively to get it out of the hole, this causes a lot of heat. Carbon/Carbon setups don't break down, but, they become incredibly finicky like an on/off switch. Our ceramic matrix friction is about as forgiving as it comes... just depends on what you want.

How much power does your car make and how are you using it? If you decide to go with us I'll gladly get you taken care of, if you're not happy with the clutch I'll give you your money back.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #95
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Car dynoed 718 rwhp with the Whipple. I'm actually swapping to a twin turbo system. Might make more power, but it probably won't be as hard on the clutch. The car does occasionally see the track. I've had two RXT clutches and both chattered. Then I went with the Street Slayer. The clutch drove great. I was very happy with it until a disc fell apart at the track. The rebuilt clutch didn't make it back in time for an event, so I installed a Mantic twin. It chatters too. I have no idea why my car does this and others don't. I've thought about reinstalling the Slayer, but I'm worried it will happen again with my power.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins

Closed Thread