Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #57
Camaromonkey

Drives: 396 '75 Camaro, '01 2500 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Maybe because I have a deposit on the ZL1 and Chevy built me the car exactly the way I would have built it, I am a little partial to the ZL1. My feeling is anytime an automobile manufacturer builds a car that fits 98% of the things that you are looking for in a car, then they built you the car you wanted. Honestly, I still can't get over all of the negatives on here about this car. Maybe it is something that I am missing because honestly, I simply do not see anything negative about the car, once I got over Chevy NOT calling it a Z28. This Camaro has so much technically advanced equipment and power of which ALL of it is geared to go fast and built to last, I truly can't understand all of the nitpicking and negative thoughts. So the car is almost 4000 lbs. It has always been almost 4000 pounds. Did you really expect them to add a S/C with 150HP, magnetic ride, HD transmission and rear end and expect it to lose weight. I mean really did you? The ZL1 will be an absolutely phenomenal car at a weight that it has always been. I am sure the next generation Camaro will be on more of a diet, but in the meantime, this this ZL1 Camaro has been brought back to wreak havoc on the world. One of my favorite car ads said: When you turn your car on, does it return the favor? This car will definitely turn you on when you fire it up. If it doesn't then, there really is NO hope for you. Just an old farts opinion.
I've been watching the ZL1, just like everyone else. Kept up with the stats and hoped for the best. I held out after the SS made the scene wishing for the Z28. I was over the top when they announced the ZL1 and to be honest, couldn't have said it any better than OldJedi. If you seriously think that there are that many issues with this beautiful piece of machinery, either don't buy it, or change it when you do. IMO, Camaro is and will continue to be the BEST. I, for one, cannot wait to order my own. Just my two cents.
Camaromonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #58
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
I have no problems or complaints with the ZL1, my only concern is the weight. A 4000 lb + Camaro is HEAVY. Not saying it wont handle and wont be fast because it definitely will be, but around here, there's a war between Domestic cars like American Muscle, and those jap rice burners and those damn ricer's have a huge advantage with their weight and AWD. I was nearly tied with an EVO that had over 100 hp less then I do, simply because of the cars weight. For me to keep up with some of these jap cars, I would need unrealistic, astronomical power numbers and some really sticky tires. I was looking at a Z06 before I heard about this car, and if possible, I would rather get this car. The C6 is nearing the end of it's life and I don't want to be "obsolete" in a year or two, and I love everything about the ZL1. So any weight they can shed off this truely bad a$$ beast would be a HUGE plus for me. Just less I have to do when I get it. And I'm sure they have the ability to make this thing weigh in at around 3800 lbs. Still heavy, but a hell of a lot better then 4200-4300 pounds. Not to mention EVERYTHING gets better with weight reduction. Acceleration, handling, gas mileage etc. This car would be a real rocket if it weighed around what the SS weighs.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #59
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Sometimes you have to consider the source of opinions
concerning the topics such as the LZ1. Some individuals
due to thier own inability to purchase a car such as this
for what ever reason decide to slam it. It's sad bit they
seem to draw pleasure at the expense of others enthusiasm
on a something they can't afford. Oh well to bad to sad.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #60
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Maybe because I have a deposit on the ZL1 and Chevy built me the car exactly the way I would have built it, I am a little partial to the ZL1. My feeling is anytime an automobile manufacturer builds a car that fits 98% of the things that you are looking for in a car, then they built you the car you wanted. Honestly, I still can't get over all of the negatives on here about this car. Maybe it is something that I am missing because honestly, I simply do not see anything negative about the car, once I got over Chevy NOT calling it a Z28. This Camaro has so much technically advanced equipment and power of which ALL of it is geared to go fast and built to last, I truly can't understand all of the nitpicking and negative thoughts. So the car is almost 4000 lbs. It has always been almost 4000 pounds. Did you really expect them to add a S/C with 150HP, magnetic ride, HD transmission and rear end and expect it to lose weight. I mean really did you? The ZL1 will be an absolutely phenomenal car at a weight that it has always been. I am sure the next generation Camaro will be on more of a diet, but in the meantime, this this ZL1 Camaro has been brought back to wreak havoc on the world. One of my favorite car ads said: When you turn your car on, does it return the favor? This car will definitely turn you on when you fire it up. If it doesn't then, there really is NO hope for you. Just an old farts opinion.
Jedi, we must have been seperated at birth. My thoughts exactly. I agree 100% with you.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #61
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Quote:
Unless you have been someplace where you were not supposed to be, I am not sure that you have had a chance to grip the steering wheel yet to see how it feels.
just talking about how it looks... if I wanted a Chevy Spark steering wheel then I would .... buy a Spark! Not a Camaro!
Old 03-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #62
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
i wish there was a way to order one without the stripes. All they do is attract attention in traffic.
they are optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
that steering wheel is really horrible ...
People want a race oriented steering wheel and then complain when they get one.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #63
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
I for one, love the steering wheel. MUCH more then the SS Camaro. I'm sure it gets the job done and then some
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #64
Qdiesel

Drives: 2011 Infiniti M56S, '04 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Sure am!!

I'm lucky enough to have had things work out where I can come...and given that window of opportunity: I wouldn't miss it for the world! You?

It will be nice to meet all of you here in Chandler.
Qdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #65
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I sure hope not. I'm hoping they at least match the SS' weight. It does seem like more added weight was mentioned rather then weight reduction (supercharger, mag ride, stronger axles, diff, etc) vs. weight reduction of carbon fiber insert on hood, lighter wheels and whatever else they mentioned. I hope they did more then that to reduce weight.
i have a feeling the hood is gonna weigh more than stock and im sure the wider tires are gonna make up the weight that the rims saved. The bigger brakes probably aint lighter. I dont think anything on the car is really THAT much lighter at all. Doesnt mean it cant be fast, it just wont be lighter than an SS
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #66
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
I'm happy about the ZL1. I don't care if the Boss out runs the ZL1 on a road course. I don't have any road courses near me and I don't plan on pushing the limits of cornering of any car on the road. For me, it's a win win with a supercharger and a warranty...not to mention the wider rim/tire package.
Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms and toe rods
Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #67
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
i have a feeling the hood is gonna weigh more than stock and im sure the wider tires are gonna make up the weight that the rims saved. The bigger brakes probably aint lighter. I dont think anything on the car is really THAT much lighter at all. Doesnt mean it cant be fast, it just wont be lighter than an SS
What makes you think that?
aluminum/carbon fiber combination should be lighter if not the same as the current aluminum hood. Wheels will also be slightly lighter.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #68
tonytahoe

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS
Everyone that hates that stock steering wheel is going to want that wheel in their car.Here's hoping it kicks GT500 ass!!--2011 'Vert,Triple Black,White Rally Stripes,Pol.Wheels,Hurst Short Throw.After market Cat Back Exhaust.
tonytahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #69
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Sure am!!

I'm lucky enough to have had things work out where I can come...and given that window of opportunity: I wouldn't miss it for the world! You?
Unfortunately not, although I had a really great time at C5 Fest I and met a lot of super nice forum members. But I have to save for my ZL1 so I can drive it to C5 Fest 3. For all of you that do go, have a great time and be safe.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #70
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Jedi, we must have been seperated at birth. My thoughts exactly. I agree 100% with you.
I am sure that we were, I will ask my mom the next time I talk with her.