Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #57
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Something you may want to add is that the Oil needs to be Dexos Approved in order for GM to honor the Powertrain Warranty. If you have an engine failure of somesort and they test your oil and find its not Dexos approved, they have a grounds to void your warranty and not cover the repairs.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #58
usranger80

Drives: 2011 1LT "Bumblebee"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI HLK View Post
Spoke to my local Chevy dealer, they want $90.00 for a Mobil 1 Syn oil change. I was like WTH really!!! The service manager said that was before tax. I had to walk outside to ensure I was not at a BMW dealership.
Thank you for the DIY with pictures. If it were'nt for you posting pics I would of been looking for the oil filter under the car. LOL. Not to mention it took me 15 minutes to find the battery.
Mobil 1 usually runs around $9-10 and for 6 quarts your looking at $60 for oil alone, plus anywhere from 5-10$ for a filter puts you at $70, and of course the dealer has to get paid for their time....so 90$ is not that crazy, but I would never pay them to change my oil anyway. If you have an O'Reilys around they have a summer sale on Mobil 1 EP right now it was 34.99 for 5 qts and a filter and they gave me the 6th qt for half off, so it was a 40$ oil change.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #59
tacanaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I would like to thank those folks that developed and refined the oil change procedure for the V6. I am getting ready to do my first change, and was expecting to spin the old canister off and the new one on...Wow! I do see a pretty high oil pressure above 2K rpm until my oil temp gets up tp ~200 DegF, so maybe a canister type wouldn't be strong enough. It looks like the V6 oil filter housing is pretty strong...Anyways, I'm starting to ramble...

Thanks again for the DIY.
tacanaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #60
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
I just changed my own oil for the first time today (I finally put synthetic in)...can anyone give me a good reason why that oil fill line has that silly curve in it? They should have been able to make it straight down...strange...
Old 10-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #61
Fuel74

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
In case anyone was wondering - I just did my first oil change on my 2012 V6 LFX engine and it is identical to the procedure posted here.

I also did not use a torque rench - the lower torque ranges aren't too hard to "feel" - over tightening seems to be more of a concern then under tightening. I'll likely buy a torque wrench though, looks like I may need it for some of the performance mods.
Fuel74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #62
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger80 View Post
Mobil 1 usually runs around $9-10 and for 6 quarts your looking at $60 for oil alone, plus anywhere from 5-10$ for a filter puts you at $70, and of course the dealer has to get paid for their time....so 90$ is not that crazy, but I would never pay them to change my oil anyway. If you have an O'Reilys around they have a summer sale on Mobil 1 EP right now it was 34.99 for 5 qts and a filter and they gave me the 6th qt for half off, so it was a 40$ oil change.
well.......just so ya know.......if you go to WAL-MART.....the 5 qt jug of Mobil1 is only $25.....and that is the everyday price, O'Reilys and Auto Zones normal price is $39.....ya'll take your pick, but Wally World is the best price in town no matter where you live. Then all ya need to do is pick out which filter you decide on, oh and of course an additional quart.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 11-22-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #63
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
I see one semi-major issue, and that is that the OP used "extended Performance" mobil 1.

That is (to most peoples surprise) NOT certified for performance cars, and is worse than the standard Mobil 1. Anyone with a V8, it is NOT considered acceptable oil.

food for thought
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #64
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Drives: The Black Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDNIGHTANGEL View Post
YOUR MY HERO! Hahaha I work on my cars but this is my first new car and didnt want to tamper with it so im coming right back here when I have to changeit again
Just had to say I love your signature about spanking an 8 with a 6.
I agree.

[COLOR=seagreen]Mods Installed:
Backup sensors
American Racing Rogue Wheels
AAC LED Interior Light Kit

Ordered:
BlingLights Fog Light Kit
AAC Footwell Ambient Lighting Kit
Complete Lamp Protection Kit
(Smoked Finish)
PitchBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #65
azamazonqueen

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnyd View Post
I see one semi-major issue, and that is that the OP used "extended Performance" mobil 1.

That is (to most peoples surprise) NOT certified for performance cars, and is worse than the standard Mobil 1. Anyone with a V8, it is NOT considered acceptable oil.

food for thought
This post is specifically for V6 Camaros. adub4185 has the V8 thread that was posted before this one (as referenced in the OP). The V8 has a whole different oil set up and specs so this thread would not apply regardless.
azamazonqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #66
ONLYAV6

Drives: 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by azamazonqueen View Post
This post is specifically for V6 Camaros. adub4185 has the V8 thread that was posted before this one (as referenced in the OP). The V8 has a whole different oil set up and specs so this thread would not apply regardless.
Thanks for writing up the procedure for the 3.4 V6. I'm enjoying Thanksgiving with my nephew who owns a 2010 1LT who wants to learn something about his car. So in the down time I decided to help him learn how to change his own oil. The oil filter location had me stumped until I did some web browsing and found this forum and your post.

Those that think that they are getting a proper oil change for these cars using an appropriate oil and filter for $18.95 are mistaken. Synthetic oil is the only way to go if you care about your car.

Last edited by ONLYAV6; 11-29-2011 at 08:02 PM.
ONLYAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #67
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
Thanks for the write up! I just did my first oil change on the camaro. For people concerned Mobil 1, royal purple, and many others are dexos certified, they'll say so on the bottle.

A little note on that O ring... it is fragile, mine broke and that canister leaks like HELL without it! I had to run to the dealer (in a different car) to get one for 6 bucks. Next time I'll try and find a filter that comes with one.

Thanks again, saves a lot of hassle trying to get it done at the dealer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #68
Kangmaro
Kevin

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LT - RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
$15.95 at a local chevy dealer!..(hot damn!) why mess with it?

$15.95?

$15.95??

Where is this dealer?

I got my baby's first 5k mile oil change here at the Chevrolet dealer close to where I work (as the one closer to where I live requires appointments at the earliest anywhere from 1-2 weeks out to change oil... wtf?) and was charged no less than $48.00......... for BASIC service.

Kangmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #69
Kangmaro
Kevin

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LT - RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
my local dealer charges $18.95, but that's not for synthetic oil. good price, but for the service i get there, its not worth it. next oil change I'll follow this procedure.

Question: is there a cabin hepa filter in the 2010 and how does one change it out?

Again... wtf?

I'm really starting to feel the effects of NO LUBE over here at my dealer
Kangmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #70
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks for posting. Did the first oil change on the car today, took less than 30 minutes once it was up on the ramp (I hate getting the car up on ramps by myself).

For those not sure, WIX filters do come with a replacement O ring. The stock one looked pretty good (only 2,000 on it) so I set it aside to keep just in case I ever damage one

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, change, filter, oil, v6 oil