Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
RatedZ

Drives: Camaro SS
Thinking of getting a CAI

I have a 2013 2SS/RS auto and I was thinking about installing a CAI for it to give it a bit more punch as well as deepen the sound. I don't want to re-tune it for warranty reasons since it is new so I have a couple of questions...

What is a good CAI that won't need a tune that not only looks good but also performs good in terms of sound and performance?

Will installing a CAI void the warranty or will it be a problem if the vehicle is taken to be serviced down the road?

Any tips or insight on experiences is greatly appreciated. TIA guys.

-robert.
RatedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Most intake systems available for these cars do not require a tune and will not impact your warranty. I am going to go out on a limb and predict that you are about to get a lot of suggestions for the CAI Inc intake systems because they do exactly what you just described. They look and perform great! Below is a link to a thread I created with a TON of information about air intake systems. Give it a read and if you have any questions feel free to shoot a PM to me or give us a call.

THE Air Intake Thread
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
RatedZ

Now this is good reading. I have been looking at the CAI Inc intake and I read that there is a "scoop" that can be added. Not sure what this is or what benefits you get with it?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjla67 View Post
Now this is good reading. I have been looking at the CAI Inc intake and I read that there is a "scoop" that can be added. Not sure what this is or what benefits you get with it?
The optional scoop mounts below the intake and funnels cool dense air from your lower grill directly into the intake. This helps your engine breathe and make more power. It is an upgrade that you will feel and hear. Below are a couple quotes from customers of ours that have done the scoop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
I installed the Cold Air Inductions CAI two weeks ago. I did not notice any performance difference over the following week. The following weekend I installed the (APEX) scoop and washer relocation kit. The difference was amazing, especially at around 3000 rpms and up. Car pulls much harder now, and sounds different too...

So I definitely recommend it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
Had the CAI installed a few months ago, just never got around to installing the relo and scoop till this past weekend....after driving around with just the CAI, which itself made a difference in the feel, and now with the scoop, I can tell you that there seems to be a major improvement with the scoop. My butt Dyno definatly feels and hears a big difference compared to just the CAI....definatly recommend the scoop. One of the best cost to performance ratio's Ive done so far to my Camaro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeboe View Post
Results:

Uhmmm yeah it is noticeable..wow!!!! The install was good and clean, the CAI just looks right down sexy as hell, CAI inc makes a good intake! it dresses up the engine nicely.... Sound has improved! and throttle response is smooth and shifts cleans. I recommend the Scoop WW kit and CAI to anyone.. got mines from Chase at APEX-great guy to to business with!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chichi View Post
I just installed a CAI, scoop, and a windshield washer relocate kit that I bought from APEX. The install went smooth with no problems. When I was done I took my car for a spin and WOW what a difference. It seemed to run a lot smoother and faster.

I would like to say APEX has super fast shipping, I placed my order on Friday evening and received it on Wednesday.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
RatedZ

Chase, do you a direct link to the scoop/relocation kit? I think I will be giving you a call to order
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
cai inc with a scoop and washer bottle relocate kit is a great mod, you will love it. Chase will get you squared away happy modding.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Chase, do you a direct link to the scoop/relocation kit? I think I will be giving you a call to order
We are not allowed to post direct links in technical threads but I will send you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
cai inc with a scoop and washer bottle relocate kit is a great mod, you will love it. Chase will get you squared away happy modding.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
RatedZ

Oops, sorry about that... Got your PM
Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
whatever you do add the scoop and washerbottle relocate kit i orderd all this from jannetty racing as a package deal(it gets u a little better deal)
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
RatedZ

I sent a message to CAI about having the lid window removed and the CAI badge also removed... wonder if they could do this?
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
i guess its possible but u could black it out with a peice of vinyl also. i get alot of compliments on that window im not sure why u wouldnt want it.
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
ka1

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerisbetter View Post
i guess its possible but u could black it out with a peice of vinyl also. i get alot of compliments on that window im not sure why u wouldnt want it.
Yep, I think it was a pretty cool feature but to each his own.
ka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Chase,

Could you please send me that same PM as well? I am about to get serious about getting a few mods.
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
I sent a message to CAI about having the lid window removed and the CAI badge also removed... wonder if they could do this?
Got your email, and responded.

The answer is no simply based on the fact that the way we produce and manufacture these it would be completely out of our normal production practices, as well as outside of our approved quality procedures. It would also require a new program to be written for the CNC which cuts the lid, and would require 1 lid to be cut out of a single sheet of raw stock, etc. etc. Basically if you really wanted to get more of a stealth or blacked out look, I would simply tint the filter inspection window and touch up the fasteners with black paint. Or you could leave it as is since it looks sweet how we designed it!

Either way, thanks for choosiong CAI Inc., you will be glad you did!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote