Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
Cammy98

Drives: 1998 Camaro 3.8l
Send a message via AIM to Cammy98
Stalling and start up problems

Hey everyone, im new to this forum but would like to say hello to everyone and thank you in advanced for your time and help. Secondly I am truly impressed at how many of you are buying 5th gen Camaro's I truly envy you all.

Well let me get down to business. Starting back in February of this year i've been having an ongoing battle with my car which typically occurs at start up and when driving. When my car isn't refusing to start up it is stalling out on the streets and starting back at random times. One way I can keep it running is by constantly reving the engine (about over 2k).

The stalling out occurs often when I shift gears, cruise to a stop, or at idle. (pretty much anytime I let off the throttle) .Seems as if she only wants to go fast on the roads but its hard to come to smooth stop while keeping the engine reving.

I've replaced these in the past 2 months:
-PCM
-Crankshaft Position Sensor
-All 3 coils
-ICM
-Spark plugs and wires
-New Fuel filter and fuel pressure is fine
-New battery
-Ignition relay (fuse box)

Only thing I can think of is maybe the Throttle Position Sensor. What do you guys think? ... thanx again
Cammy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
IAC valve, Map sensor or even the EGR valve can cause this. Are you getting any codes? I had a truck that stalled at idle and it was the EGR Valve and I had a Cavalier that idled rough and then stall at idle which turned out to be the IAC Valve, but it was giving me a MAP sensor code!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
Cammy98

No codes have ever come up. The times it starts up again from its little episode I never get a code.

EDIT: the problem is really random. this stalling and not starting happens on and off. I can run it for a week no problems and then all of a sudden...

Last edited by Cammy98; 06-17-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Scott Jones

Drives: Black 2010 1LT
I have an automatic 1LT. My car stalled six times in the first three weeks I had it. It only happened while idling or driving below 10 mph. My dealer had it hooked to their computer all day and couldn't find anything wrong. They reset the car's computer and it hasn't stalled at all in the week since they did that. I'm hoping that fixed it.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Cammy98

Yah im sure its something electric, but I did have the computer replaced.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
2 Simple Things

Unbolt 2 nuts from EGR Valve, turn it over and spray in Carb Cleaner and let soak for 3 minutes. Dump and do it again. Your valve is sticking open partially choking you out at low speeds, idles etc.

2nd, get MAF sensor cleaner (don't use Carb Cleaner or you're out $300) and take off your air intake and spray inside the Mass Air Flow Sensor for about 20 seconds on the wire. If you can't see it, just spray all over.

Guarantee, you'll be up and running. Seriously, I guarantee it.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Cammy98

I tried the 2nd suggestion but still the same problem.

Im going to see if the EGR is stuck open. Anyway to see if its physically stuck open should it do something when the ignition is turned on?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Cammy98

Ok so everytime the car stalls it has trouble starting so what I did is I wiggled around the connector that plugs into the ICM. Its like a plastic connector with many wires going to it.

When I wiggle it around and have someone crank the engine it runs but after driving it stalls out again. So when this connection is bad there is no spark.

I determined its not that it was loose it was plenty tight, is there any way to test voltage? or do I need a new wiring harness.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
vdevine

You asked for advice, but you don't take it.

I've been down this road more than once. Do what I told you. Both sprays less than 10 bucks.
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy98 View Post
Hey everyone, im new to this forum but would like to say hello to everyone and thank you in advanced for your time and help. Secondly I am truly impressed at how many of you are buying 5th gen Camaro's I truly envy you all.

Well let me get down to business. Starting back in February of this year i've been having an ongoing battle with my car which typically occurs at start up and when driving. When my car isn't refusing to start up it is stalling out on the streets and starting back at random times. One way I can keep it running is by constantly reving the engine (about over 2k).

The stalling out occurs often when I shift gears, cruise to a stop, or at idle. (pretty much anytime I let off the throttle) .Seems as if she only wants to go fast on the roads but its hard to come to smooth stop while keeping the engine reving.

-PCM
-All 3 coils
-ICM
-Spark plugs and wires
-New battery

Only thing I can think of is maybe the Throttle Position Sensor. What do you guys think? ... thanx again
Clean your MAF sensor

Quote:
Ok so everytime the car stalls it has trouble starting so what I did is I wiggled around the connector that plugs into the ICM. Its like a plastic connector with many wires going to it.

When I wiggle it around and have someone crank the engine it runs but after driving it stalls out again. So when this connection is bad there is no spark.

I determined its not that it was loose it was plenty tight, is there any way to test voltage? or do I need a new wiring harness.

you might have to get a new pigtail connector and splice it in place of the ICM connector. you might be able to swing out to a junkyard and find one. cut it low enough to give you room to swap it over.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
Cammy98

MAF sensor was cleaned with MAF cleaner and no good.

Cleaned the EGR and still nothing.

Im sure its that connector into the ICM especially because when it doesn't want to start there is no spark. Yah im thinking I might have to grab one from a junkyard and splice it.

But if I cant find it from a junk camaro does anybody know the name for the part leading up into the ICM connection?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:

-PCM
-All 3 coils
-ICM
-Spark plugs and wires
-New battery

I had a 2002 Harley Davidson truck that had a similar thing and it was carbon build up in the intake, had dealer clean entire intake system. Check that out.
KLR ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:22 AM   #13
Cammy98

Thats what im going to do next actually. Take apart the throttle body and give it a nice cleaning, and take out the MAF so I dont mess it up.

Its ok to clean the throttle body with carb cleaner as long as the MAF is out right?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 AM   #14
vdevine

MAF Sensor most likely is bad

90% that your MAF sensor is bad. It's expensive though to replace. Normally, a cleaning will work. After you check everything else out, the last resort may be replacing the sensor.
6000 Mine 26 June 2009