Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
Blackandwhite

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Discount Tire has that deal where they price match. I'll ask my buddy where he got the best deal for his and they will price match that. They will let you know what tires will fit in what sizes and you can pick your tires from there and know they will fit.
Oh wow nice, that would be awesome. I mean i'm not really set on size 20 inch rims. but those are the only size the replica ss rims come in. But it would be nice knowing the tires would fit. I just hope the tires are durable.
Blackandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #30
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I Talked to my buddy and he just said he found the best deal off a random site and they price matched them. You can essentially do it with any wheel they offer. Yea, if you want SS replicas those are the only sizes they come in. About the tires, I just went by what was available and looked up the expected life and got him the highest life ones

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #31
Blackandwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I Talked to my buddy and he just said he found the best deal off a random site and they price matched them. You can essentially do it with any wheel they offer. Yea, if you want SS replicas those are the only sizes they come in. About the tires, I just went by what was available and looked up the expected life and got him the highest life ones
How much did he get it down to? I mean 155 ain't bad. And on the same site? Well right now they don't have 275/40 apparently. And the only ones that matched the rims on the site were 265/40's which they don't have either.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #32
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandwhite View Post
How much did he get it down to? I mean 155 ain't bad. And on the same site? Well right now they don't have 275/40 apparently. And the only ones that matched the rims on the site were 265/40's which they don't have either.
You can always check local tire shops and Tirerack.com as well.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #33
Blackandwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
You can always check local tire shops and Tirerack.com as well.
Yeah true. I do have a few near me which is what i plan on doing i guess, i'm just a worry wort and i'll wind up buying ones that don't fit and i'll wind up messing the offset up.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #34
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Another option is to buy a used set in good condition with tires and have them powder coated black. Then they will look and feel new and you could save a couple hundred dollars from buying new. Lots of options to get what you want!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #35
Blackandwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
Another option is to buy a used set in good condition with tires and have them powder coated black. Then they will look and feel new and you could save a couple hundred dollars from buying new. Lots of options to get what you want!
That's also a good idea. I feel like people around here like to rip each other off a lot. I actually just talked to an agent from Discount tires and he said that if i had all four tires as 275/40/20 that the front tires would rub and aren't recommended, yet i see alot of forum users say they don't have problems.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #36
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
These are the rims i want to help out. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=9&vid=020773

That other post is a nice price and that's low mileage but the thing is, this is a brand new camaro, 3k miles on it and i'm the first owner. So everything is pretty much brand new, so i'd rather spend the extra money on new everything. So I guess 275/40 all around would work for full tire rotations and the rims would fit without any problems, and if its 34+mm offset, if i get the put on at a shop will they do the offsets right?
Those are the EXACT rims I have.

275/40/20's on all 4 corners.. no rubbing at all. The guy you talked to at discount tire doesn't know what he's talking about. I bought my tires/wheels from discount tire from a Camaro5 member who works there. Also, a LOT of guys are running 20x9 rims and 275/40/20 tires on all 4 corners and no rubbing.

I bought BFG G-Force Comp2's for shoes.

I got a great deal on the rims... If you can get them down to $150 or less per rim, it's way cheaper than even buying used rims and having them powdercoated.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #37
Blackandwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEKFREEKSCOTTY View Post
Those are the EXACT rims I have.

275/40/20's on all 4 corners.. no rubbing at all. The guy you talked to at discount tire doesn't know what he's talking about. I bought my tires/wheels from discount tire from a Camaro5 member who works there. Also, a LOT of guys are running 20x9 rims and 275/40/20 tires on all 4 corners and no rubbing.

I bought BFG G-Force Comp2's for shoes.

I got a great deal on the rims... If you can get them down to $150 or less per rim, it's way cheaper than even buying used rims and having them powdercoated.
Phew, well i have reassurance now. I see all these people saying they have no problems. With my luck i will, but i'm pretty set on getting 275/40/20 tires now with those rims haha. You had no problems with the offsets?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #38
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
I'm tired of the unappealing heavy stock rims on the new LS's.
Just for the record each LS wheel and tire weigh in at 62.9 lbs. (NOTE: 2010 wheels from C5 wiki pages) The SS front 20x8 and tire are 59.58 lbs and the SS rear 20x9 and tire weigh 68 lbs. So stock SS fronts are only 3.32 lbs lighter and the stock SS rears actually weigh 7.1 lbs more than your LS wheel/tires. If you go aftermarket, some wheel/tires may be even heavier than that if you aren't mindful of their weights.

Edit: I tried to find the weight of made in China Replica Alloys. Only thing I could find was a shipping weight on Amazon's site of 15.7 lbs. WOW, don't see how they could be almost half the weight of the OEM wheels (20x9=32.36 lbs.) and be anywhere near the strength.
May want to check out the site link below as well.

The-truth-about-replica-wheels-and-why-OEM-is-better

Edit 2: From link above. IF they are that much lighter, this may explain it:

"Myth: Replica wheels are just as strong as the factory original wheels.
Truth: Replica wheels are made using the cheapest manufacturing method available (gravity casting). This is when molten aluminum is simply poured into a mold and allowed to cool off. This method results in a wheel that has lesser density aluminum, since no pressure is applied (most factory wheels use a what's called low pressure casting method). What this really means is that the replica wheels are much more likely to get bent or cracked, since they are made from much weaker, more porous material. We have seen this happen over and over again."

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 01-04-2013 at 11:21 PM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #39
dkbmx993

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 6spdmanual
im thinking about selling my factory wheels off my ss. only about 1000 miles. mint condition. wheels and tires. if your interested im looking to get $1000 for wheels tires set
dkbmx993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #40
Blackandwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Just for the record each LS wheel and tire weigh in at 62.9 lbs. (NOTE: 2010 wheels from C5 wiki pages) The SS front 20x8 and tire are 59.58 lbs and the SS rear 20x9 and tire weigh 68 lbs. So stock SS fronts are only 3.32 lbs lighter and the stock SS rears actually weigh 7.1 lbs more than your LS wheel/tires. If you go aftermarket, some wheel/tires may be even heavier than that if you aren't mindful of their weights.

Edit: I tried to find the weight of made in China Replica Alloys. Only thing I could find was a shipping weight on Amazon's site of 15.7 lbs. WOW, don't see how they could be almost half the weight of the OEM wheels (20x9=32.36 lbs.) and be anywhere near the strength.
May want to check out the site link below as well.

The-truth-about-replica-wheels-and-why-OEM-is-better

Edit 2: From link above. IF they are that much lighter, this may explain it:

"Myth: Replica wheels are just as strong as the factory original wheels.
Truth: Replica wheels are made using the cheapest manufacturing method available (gravity casting). This is when molten aluminum is simply poured into a mold and allowed to cool off. This method results in a wheel that has lesser density aluminum, since no pressure is applied (most factory wheels use a what's called low pressure casting method). What this really means is that the replica wheels are much more likely to get bent or cracked, since they are made from much weaker, more porous material. We have seen this happen over and over again."
Very interesting to look at it and it would make sense considering replica's are obviously not OEM. I'm just obsessed with appearance and i'm afraid that alot of oem wheels that are used have curb rash and such.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #41
Blackandwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkbmx993 View Post
im thinking about selling my factory wheels off my ss. only about 1000 miles. mint condition. wheels and tires. if your interested im looking to get $1000 for wheels tires set
I may be interested, if you send me some pictures and such i'll definitely judge. and i forgot the stock tire size for the ss again. what are the front and rears?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #42
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Its 245 in the front and 275 in the rear.

If youre looking for black, I have a set of stocks already powdercoated gloss black if you're interested

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
confused, offset, rims, tires