Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Running wires through door to body harness

Choose the appropriate size drill bit (not too big, not too small). I forget now which size I used, sorry. I suggest doing the passenger side first as there are more unused pins on that side. Also, all my pictures are from the drivers side.

Slide the "lock" up on the body side connector to release the harness.

Pull up the orange slide on the door harness and then press the clips on the sides to release it.

Now you have room to drill both. I cut the zip tie on the door harness and removed that boot to make it easier to work with. I also had to remove the top boot (big pain to work with, beware) to cut a hole to run the wires into the cab.
On the top of the door connector, see pictures, there is a blue wire that is not used (there is no wire on the body side connector). That's where I drilled and ran my wires.

I used a 14gauge solid core wire to pull the wires from the door, through the boot and into the cab.

When re-connecting the harnesses just be sure and keep some tension on the wires so they don't get kinked in there.
Also, after you've got your wires ran and the connectors back together VERIFY THE DOOR HINGE (it moves into the door when closed) DOES NOT CATCH ON ANY WIRES! Mine did and a wire got pinched or broken and I had to fix it after I put it all back together, that sucked.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
You did this for the door lock/unlock switch?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Running wires through door to body harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
You did this for the door lock/unlock switch?

Yes. I got power and ground for the door switch lighting from the ambient lights (T-tapped into them).
Old 05-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Cool, I'm thinking of doing this as well wanted to see what was involved. I have some super thin telephone interconnect wire I thought of using but can see that might risk breaking or might not be high enough gauge to handle the switch.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Cool, I'm thinking of doing this as well wanted to see what was involved. I have some super thin telephone interconnect wire I thought of using but can see that might risk breaking or might not be high enough gauge to handle the switch.

I'm not sure what guage wire they used. It's pretty close if not exactly the stock size.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #6
TofuDragon

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6
Thanks OmniCamaro! This thread combined with your rudimentary wiring diagram are what I used to complete my install (well, passenger side... still have the driver's side to go).

Oh, may I suggest that you post a link to this thread in the Door lock DIY thread by Dwalex? Someone asked me about the drilling method and I noticed that I wouldn't have found this thread except I did a random Google search.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro SS/RS
Or above...

I found it easier to drill out the area above the connector. Fit wires through no problem. I highly recommend disconnecting the battery b4 doing this. Very long process getting windows working properly again, haha.

Dream color moving ABL, FTW!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Agreed. I always disconnect the battery before doing anything that involves electrical connections.