Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
LS3 Vararam Tune Only

Just wondering if I can get some feedback from guys with the "tune only" unit on the LS3 that have LT's and full exhaust. I put the unit on, but my car will not be tuned until the 17th when it goes in for a cam upgrade...I knew I would get the low RPM cruise speed slight bucking "MAF noise" but I'm going to deal with it until the car goes to the tuner. (it's not a daily driver) I have been hearing feedback from it seems like only the same handful of guys in the Vararam thread. There seems to be hundreds of these units out there but I'm not hearing "the love" from guys that have gotten tunes. My Tuner does not sound like he wants anything to do with this Vararam unit and I'm starting to feel the same way...I guess my question is..Can this bucking be tuned out or no?? Sound off guys

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
antivenom

Drives: Too many to list
This can be tuned to run properly. It will just take time to get the MAF table just right. This is not something that can simply be tuned in 30 minutes unless somebody just gets lucky. I had to program a STS turbo car that had the stumble really bad. So bad that the owner had to trailer it to me. In a few hours the car purred like a stocker. It was all in the MAF tables.
antivenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
I got mine at the C5 fest with the vengence tune and it stil stumbles some. Looking around at my tuning options locally.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
It may or may not be a tuning issue. There's been some debate lately as to the reliabitly of the MAF signal. Not that it's a faulty signal, but that it's getting faulty information from massive turbulence. It's the only logical explanation, so far, as to why people are having a hard time tuning it out. It seems to work ok for some folks and others never get it worked out. Most everyone has been happy with the performance gains but the driveability issues have turned quite a few away. We have yet to get someone to post up the fuel trims and MAF data on this intake so it's hard to tell what's really going on.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
So I dont have an LS3 I have a A6 Vararam witha catback and VectorMotorsports tune and I am VERY satisfied with the results. I dont have any bucking or surging and the performance increase is VERY noticable. Maybe I am one of the "lucky ones" or, maybe I just dont know what surging and bucking really are. Either way, I am very happy with the vararam unit ESPECIALLY after I got it tuned.
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

I got mine at the C5 fest with the vengence tune and it stil stumbles some. Looking around at my tuning options locally.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by antivenom View Post
This can be tuned to run properly. It will just take time to get the MAF table just right. This is not something that can simply be tuned in 30 minutes unless somebody just gets lucky. I had to program a STS turbo car that had the stumble really bad. So bad that the owner had to trailer it to me. In a few hours the car purred like a stocker. It was all in the MAF tables.
Man I hope so.......

Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
It may or may not be a tuning issue. There's been some debate lately as to the reliabitly of the MAF signal. Not that it's a faulty signal, but that it's getting faulty information from massive turbulence. It's the only logical explanation, so far, as to why people are having a hard time tuning it out. It seems to work ok for some folks and others never get it worked out. Most everyone has been happy with the performance gains but the driveability issues have turned quite a few away. We have yet to get someone to post up the fuel trims and MAF data on this intake so it's hard to tell what's really going on.
This is the same thing my Tuner is telling me....and it does make all the sense in the world...I'll keep my fingers crossed....not only for me but for Vararam too

Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

I recently watched horsepower tv with the crate ls3 and I swear the maf was just as far away as the vararam. Also if I remember right the 4th gen camaros had a close maf. If I'm right and I might not be, how are the maf signals on these motors working? Not trying to stick up for vararam at all.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Badger

I agree...but no offense to you guys who posted so far...but you seem to be the same names I see in all the Vararam threads...I know ALOT of guys purchased this unit but I don't see alot of feedback...how many have tried it and had to send it back?? I love the performance when you put your foot into it I just will not put up with ANY surging or bucking at all after it gets tuned...I don't want to have to send it back. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed...not only for me ,but for Vararam too......and thanks for all the input so far.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
EB&D

Drives: '10 CGM SS/RS
ok, I'll speak up. I have the Vararam along with LT's and a tune and I do have the stumble others are referring to. But my stumble ONLY occures when your giving it with the slightest throttle tip-in...if you're giving it ANY kind of gas (not flying around, just normal driving) it does not stumble at all.

I have not had the chance to have my car re-tuned to address the stumble. I had my work and street tune done on a day it started snowing. Wondering if a tune in the warmer weather will smooth it out....
EB&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
iwanttogofastNY

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM
Mine was stumbling too, but the tune was not finished......it is in the shop now getting finished and if it is still there after......i am yanking it out, but i LOVE the way it looks and the way it sounds at WOT
Mods: American Racing Headers & Exhaust, Airaid Intake, Pfadt Front/Rear Sway Bars, Stealth Bulbs, AAC LED bowtie, AAC Concept LED Side-markers ABM/Tinted, 20% Tints, Chuck COW Tune, MGW shifter (blue with white racing stripes).

Coming Soon: 4:10 Gears?
iwanttogofastNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #13
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB&D View Post
ok, I'll speak up. I have the Vararam along with LT's and a tune and I do have the stumble others are referring to. But my stumble ONLY occures when your giving it with the slightest throttle tip-in...if you're giving it ANY kind of gas (not flying around, just normal driving) it does not stumble at all.

I have not had the chance to have my car re-tuned to address the stumble. I had my work and street tune done on a day it started snowing. Wondering if a tune in the warmer weather will smooth it out....

Street tune while it was snowing? That must have been exciting... :tweetz:

Old 05-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #14
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttogofastNY View Post
Mine was stumbling too, but the tune was not finished......it is in the shop now getting finished and if it is still there after......i am yanking it out, but i LOVE the way it looks and the way it sounds at WOT
It does sound DAMN GOOD at WOT!!!
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote