Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #29
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossEk View Post
It's not about the money, i have no problem paying for it if i believed it's my fault. But at the end of the day, the vehicle is malfunctioning and as quite a few people mentioned in here this is not the first it's bee heard of happening, especially this model of the camaro. The car is under warranty so regardless if i drove it 2000,5000, or 100000 with no oil change (BECAUSE THEIR VEHICLE WAS MALFUNCTIONING) they are still responsible. If this option of the Camaro wasn't important they would not have added it to the car. Also they're ignorance of saying that "the car malfunctioning is not their main concern" is another issue here. It would be cheaper for them to fix it then go through a lawsuit and the negative publicity. They are just trying to get around paying for it, because everyone i spoke to is giving me a different story regarding the issue.
Just because some LLTs had oil consumption issues not all did. Mine never used any oil in 2.5 years I owned it. You should have been checking it often to make sure. If you had and reported it to your dealership then either there would be no question of fault now or they could have found and repaired the problem before you engine was destroyed. In any case you will probably be responsible for repairs due to improper maintenance.
Sorry maybe you will luck out though but don't hold your breath.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #30
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
While I understand on a car enthusiast site like this it may be common practice to check your oil once a month, I don't know many "regular" owners that check the oil level between oil changes.

Not saying it is right or that GM is at fault, only that I don't think the OP is in the minority.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #31
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Did you even READ the owner's manual? If you had periodically checked your oil like your owner's manual says to do, you may have figured out your car was eating oil LONG before 6 months had past. I know not everyone is mechanically inclined, but there are responsibilities of car ownership.

But as a quick synopsis of some important info found in your owner's manual, you MAY be on the hook for the repairs.

From Page 10-1 of your owner's manual (go ahead, look it up)

Quote:

General Information
Notice:
Maintenance
intervals, checks, inspections,
recommended fluids, and
lubricants are necessary to
keep this vehicle in good
working condition. Damage
caused by failure to follow
scheduled maintenance might
not be covered by the vehicle
warranty.

Proper vehicle maintenance helps to
keep the vehicle in good working
condition, improves fuel economy,
and reduces vehicle emissions
for better air quality.
Because of all the different ways
people use vehicles, maintenance
needs vary. The vehicle might need
more frequent checks and services.
Please read the information under
Scheduled Maintenance. To keep
the vehicle in good condition, see
your dealer/retailer.

From Page 10-4 of your owner's manual

Quote:

Additional Required Services
At Each Fuel Stop
Engine oil level check.
See
Engine Oil on page 9-10.

Engine coolant level check.
See
Engine Coolant on
page 9-19

Windshield washer fluid level
check. See
Washer Fluid on
page 9-26

Once a Month
Tire inflation check. See Tire
Pressure on page 9-54

Tire wear inspection. See Tire

Inspection on page 9-61

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #32
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
While I understand on a car enthusiast site like this it may be common practice to check your oil once a month, I don't know many "regular" owners that check the oil level between oil changes.

Not saying it is right or that GM is at fault, only that I don't think the OP is in the minority.
Dude! My mom is 76 and still checks her oil!
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #33
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I think the bottom line here is....GM's vehicle malfunctioned because its owner malfunctioned. No disrespect, OP, but come on.
A guy spends the majority of is life living off McDonlads, Taco Bell, Burger King, Pizza, Cakes, Pies, soda, beer and cigaretts. Never gets a physical. He dies at age 30. Whos falt is it? The guy who blasted himslf with fat, tar and god knows what else........or the Doctor who couldnt save him?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #34
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post

you make a very good point. i never check . unless something pops up to tell me to check.

my BMW was low on coolant a week ago, light came on and i went to dealer for a free refill.

nobody i know keeps tabs on oil levels.

i use to drive a rx8, and ever time i was low on oil it told me. now that i read this thread. i think its messed up it didnt say low oil levels. and it was only 6 months.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #35
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Did you even READ the owner's manual? If you had periodically checked your oil like your owner's manual says to do, you may have figured out your car was eating oil LONG before 6 months had past. I know not everyone is mechanically inclined, but there are responsibilities of car ownership.

But as a quick synopsis of some important info found in your owner's manual, you MAY be on the hook for the repairs.

From Page 10-1 of your owner's manual (go ahead, look it up)

From Page 10-4 of your owner's manual
thats a bunch of BS! every fill up.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #36
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
No ...that's a Cover Your Ass............... by GM!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #37
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossEk View Post
Hi guys.

I have a 2010 camaro and the engine locked up because there was no oil in the car. However, this is due to the computer of the car malfunctioning and not stating when i have to change the oil. I have changed the oil every time it has indicated i need one before. But now, even when its at the dealer, with a locked engine, it says i have 52% oil left in the car (so the computer is clearly not working properly)

The dealer says that it's my responsibility and they will not fix it EVEN though the car is under warranty. They are saying i should have checked the oil, but i have no reason to since the computer did not indicate i need one. So are they trying to get out of this so they dont waste money or is it my fault? I understand i need to check the oil, however we pay a premium price for an above average vehicle so that we have those extra options. If GM did not think the option of stating how much oil is left in the car and when you need to change it is not important, then they wouldn't of have added it.

I'm looking into legal advice because it's technically breach of contract if they refuse to fix it since it's under warranty.

Thanks for any help.
I apologize for the inconveniences you are experiencing with the issue. If you could please send me your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage and involved dealership; I would be glad to research this further and contact your dealership in regards to this matter.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #38
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
It may be thought of BS, but then there is the reality of.... the op wouldn't have a ruined engine if that BS advice was followed.

Kind of like putting a water alarm on your sump pump. Some think that is BS and just wait for their basement to flood before checking on their sump pump.

It's not just a CYA, oil levels can change pretty quick depending on driving conditions. Say someone goes 8000 miles of city driving. That puts a ton of condensation and fuel combustion by products diluting the oil. Then take a long 1000 mile highway trip on that old diluted oil. It is going to burn off quick, very possible to use some oil on that trip. If there were no recommedation to check the oil often, it could easily get to a low level. Or, like in this case, if the car develops a problem - leak, burning it, whatever. Would you want to find the problem early.... or wait months until it completely burns up?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #39
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
It may be thought of BS, but then there is the reality of.... the op wouldn't have a ruined engine if that BS advice was followed.

Kind of like putting a water alarm on your sump pump. Some think that is BS and just wait for their basement to flood before checking on their sump pump.

It's not just a CYA, oil levels can change pretty quick depending on driving conditions. Say someone goes 8000 miles of city driving. That puts a ton of condensation and fuel combustion by products diluting the oil. Then take a long 1000 mile highway trip on that old diluted oil. It is going to burn off quick, very possible to use some oil on that trip. If there were no recommedation to check the oil often, it could easily get to a low level. Or, like in this case, if the car develops a problem - leak, burning it, whatever. Would you want to find the problem early.... or wait months until it completely burns up?
is there not technology for checking oil levels. on the camaro ? my bimmer has it.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #40
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I disagree, it is smart even on new cars to check fluid levels and tire pressure too. I had an oil filter loosen up half way through the oil change cycle and if I hadn't been checking the oil every fill up it would have blown the motor.
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #41
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
is there not technology for checking oil levels. on the camaro ? my bimmer has it.
So you are depending on a $10.00 part . What happens if the $10.00 fails to tell you are low on oil and you blown the engine. That not bmw fault it is your fault for not checking the oil level. It the same has the Op he failed a 1 minute time to check the oil. He keeps mentioning a oil reset that is for the life of the oil not the oil level.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #42
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
So you are depending on a $10.00 part . What happens if the $10.00 fails to tell you are low on oil and you blown the engine. That not bmw fault it is your fault for not checking the oil level. It the same has the Op he failed a 1 minute time to check the oil. He keeps mentioning a oil reset that is for the life of the oil not the oil level.
I count on a $10 part (or however much it costs) to tell me when I am low on gas Glad I don't keep having to check the gas dipstick, lol.

Not saying that we shouldn't ever manually check the oil level, just saying that the technology should be there to tell us if the oil is low also.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote