Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #421
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
The formula is quite simple with these lights.

You need a battery trickle charger if parked for more than 2 weeks, and this is on a "healthy battery". It may be less for weaker batteries..

Technostalgia should have warned people of this through the instruction pamphlet no doubt.

Having said that, if you inadvertently F'd up, and allowed the batter to drain, the will begin to flash. The show mode wire has nothing to do with this here.

The solution is to disconnect power wire from Technostalgia to battery, recharge battery, then reconnect, done.

Have you done this???
At this point I havent camaro dude...my effin batts are dead to the core. I have ordered a 2400 watt kinetic again., and will buy a gel cel for starting, running an isolator. What I don't know is what wire I can place a diode to in order to help with the issue. I was told a diode will help. Is this the case?
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #422
camarostar2010

By the way thanks for any help. I appreciate it, despite the redundancy.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #423
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
once a batt goes really dead its done. Its living on borrowed time especially a fry cell. These are great but must stay at 50 % charge for max durability. I have had 2 2400 watt kinetic killed with these effin lights. I just ordered another batt. I will be doin a 2 batt with isolator mod soon. Soon I will have one batt dedicated to starting no matter what. Worst of all in my case the batts are buried in the trunk and are hard to access because of amp, molding etc. The next best option is to tender the batt between down times...but I dont have a garage now. So that is no good. Lastly if any one is using a trickle charger beware. It must be digital or you might over charge the batt in an extended time period, and thus, effectively damage it.
I accidently left the power wire connected while I stored the vehicle for winter. I called their technical number after I freaked when I saw that the lights were still flashing, even after I recharged. I followed their procedure which is the one I posted a few times already.

This was last year, all has been fine since, my battery is still 100%, never had an issue again, even when I leave the car parked 1 week. I would never go more then that though in light of all this.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #424
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Even if you don't have a garage you could run an extension cord and keep everything under the hood. Then pop the hood, disconnect and throw the bat tender Jr in the back seat.

Lots of other options like an on/off switch in the trunk, but you'd have to remember to always turn it on, or re-wire to an accessory key on fuse. I went w/the battery tender jr because it's just so simple and I'm not much of a DIY especially w/electrical stuff.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #425
camarostar2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Even if you don't have a garage you could run an extension cord and keep everything under the hood. Then pop the hood, disconnect and throw the bat tender Jr in the back seat.

Lots of other options like an on/off switch in the trunk, but you'd have to remember to always turn it on, or re-wire to an accessory key on fuse. I went w/the battery tender jr because it's just so simple and I'm not much of a DIY especially w/electrical stuff.
I will the isolator thing as stated I will also wire the on/off switch to the power wire...seems the only solution to this. Thank you all. Ill keep everyone posted on the outcome. I should be doing this within a week.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #426
hd48

Drives: SS2 Rally Yellow Lt Grey Leath
Cool Techno Lights

I have had the problem my car is not a daily driver, In the Chev manual it says when your battery is going dead the lights will flash wherther you hav those or not, simple solution. Battery Tender End of problem
hd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #427
hd48

Drives: SS2 Rally Yellow Lt Grey Leath
Cool flashing lights

Simple solution Ive had same prob, Battery Tender, End of Problem
hd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #428
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
I will the isolator thing as stated I will also wire the on/off switch to the power wire...seems the only solution to this. Thank you all. Ill keep everyone posted on the outcome. I should be doing this within a week.

The "best" solution is to wire up like Deke736 did, power goes to the lights ONLY when the key is in Acc/On position. Remove the key and No Power to the lights. If you install a toggle switch, be it in the trunk or run a wire to the drivers seat, you'll always have to remember to turn on the power while driving. So if the gf takes the car for a spin she/they may not remember to turn it on.

For "show mode" I connected a transmitter so I can sit in the drivers seat and press "on" on the remote and activate or "off" on the remote to deactivate Show Mode. I like that better than having a switch in the trunk, or running a wire.

Plus it's great whenever some young pinhead wants to race or is on my ass tailgating. I quickly hit show mode and you can see them immediately slam the brakes. It definitely makes them think I'm an unmarked police car. LOL......
Old 09-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #429
Mistah SS

Drives: 2013 1SS
It's been way too long since I've been on here.
I've had my techno's in since late December 2012/early January 2013 and haven't had my battery die yet, even after sitting at an airport for 2 weeks.
I have however had the following issues:
1. Passenger inside unit has 1 LED that stopped working over a year ago and 2 others that go off/on intermittently. All in the ring.
2. Passenger inside lens fogs up.
3. Today I found the driver inside afterburner ring loose and laying against the inside of the lens.
It hasn't been a big enough issue for me to pull them off, until I just found the loose afterburner ring. I'm going to pull them off tomorrow and put the originals back in until I can take them apart and see what it'll take to repair them. For $400 I hate to give them up, but if it's too much trouble, they won't go back in.
Mistah SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #430
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah SS View Post
It's been way too long since I've been on here.
I've had my techno's in since late December 2012/early January 2013 and haven't had my battery die yet, even after sitting at an airport for 2 weeks.
I have however had the following issues:
1. Passenger inside unit has 1 LED that stopped working over a year ago and 2 others that go off/on intermittently. All in the ring.
2. Passenger inside lens fogs up.
3. Today I found the driver inside afterburner ring loose and laying against the inside of the lens.
It hasn't been a big enough issue for me to pull them off, until I just found the loose afterburner ring. I'm going to pull them off tomorrow and put the originals back in until I can take them apart and see what it'll take to repair them. For $400 I hate to give them up, but if it's too much trouble, they won't go back in.

You can give them a call/email and ask what they would charge. Let em know you'll post their response in the forum. They may do it for no charge, just pay the shipping. I had to send mine in once already. Three lights out in the ring.
Think I have a little fog as well, but mine r tinted pretty dark so it doesn't really show. U got a good set if its not draining the bat.

I've left mine for three wks, but I could c the bat was low when I cranked her over. Now I use the bat tender Jr if she sits even for a couple days. Takes less than a minute to connect. I did notice that after three or four days, I finally put the tender ON and it took like three days to reach full charge. When I connect it as soon as I park its full charge in just hours.

So it does drain slowly, bet if I had left it just a few more days, just over three wks, my bat woulda died for sure.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #431
Romeloc

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS A6 Inferno
mines last winter did the same after a certain amount of hours it would drain the battery
20% tints
Borla Atak cat-bak
Roto-Fab intake
amber footwell, dome, and trunk lighting(AAC)
Decepticon Gas door
Led Taillights (technostalgia)
Romeloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #432
Mistah SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
You can give them a call/email and ask what they would charge. Let em know you'll post their response in the forum. They may do it for no charge, just pay the shipping. I had to send mine in once already. Three lights out in the ring.
Think I have a little fog as well, but mine r tinted pretty dark so it doesn't really show. U got a good set if its not draining the bat.

I've left mine for three wks, but I could c the bat was low when I cranked her over. Now I use the bat tender Jr if she sits even for a couple days. Takes less than a minute to connect. I did notice that after three or four days, I finally put the tender ON and it took like three days to reach full charge. When I connect it as soon as I park its full charge in just hours.

So it does drain slowly, bet if I had left it just a few more days, just over three wks, my bat woulda died for sure.
I may do that if I need to, but if I remember correctly, they come apart easily and I can probably have them out and fixed in a day. The fog in mine is barely noticeable also.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #433
Mistah SS

I really can't complain. My car was rear-ended last year and the only survivors were the tail lights.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #434
SkunkWorks

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I ordered and installed these lights prior to reading this post. My installation is slightly different than what I believe I am reading here. The wire harness I received only has a purple wire which is strictly for the show mode which the instructions recommend the use of a switch. Several of you mention a red wire which if I am reading correctly is required to power the lights. Is this a change that Technostalgia has made to eliminate the battery drain?
SkunkWorks is offline   Reply With Quote