Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Just another NEWB intro!

Well, been lurking for awhile, signed up a bit ago, just made a post so I thought I'd introduce myself. I looked for a intro section, but it seems everyone is just doing their intros in here.

So, let's see, I had a '94 5 speed V6 camaro, red, from February '94 to december '99. I've owned lots of other vehicles since then, but never kept anything for more than 3 1/2 years. My last vehicle was a monster '07 4 door jeep, jacked up with a bunch of extras, but I was getting real sick of the gas milage.

I decided to go take a look at the new camaros, and after sitting in one I fell in love. While all new cars have that new car smell, I swear that some smell different than others. Well, the brand new camaro I sat in I swear smelled just like my '94 when it was brand new. So, I started thinking about what an awesome car it was, how much fun I had in my '94. What I came up with was that my '94 was one of the most versatile vehicles I owned. I used to strap surf boards to the roof, bikes to the back, tow a jet ski, go snowboarding, everything! And, it got pretty good gas mileage too.

So, I started thinking the same about buying a new base camaro (LS) just like I had before (my '94 had only 3 options, AC, rear defrost, and body side molding). However, after truly thinking about it, I thought I would be happier, especially in the long run, with a SS. I'm not 16 anymore, I'm 33 and thought what the heck. I can afford it, the difference in insurance between the 2 is virtually nil, and I'll still get much better gas milage than I was with my jeep.

So, I wanted to buy a 1SS/RS in Orange. The dealer didn't have one, but located one. Then, the dealer gave me a VR 1SS (no RS) 6M to demo for the day. Well, that red started looking pretty good, plus the car had only 15 miles on it when I strated driving her (I like 'em fresh) so I went back and to the dealer and made an offer, and left with my red. Plus, it is kind of nostalgic having a red camaro again. I would have liked the RS, but I also feel alot better about saving the money. I have rarely had buyer's remorse over spending less

So, that's how I ended up with my car. I love the base 1SS because I like to think all I paid for was the engine, drivetrain, and brakes. Not a bunch of extra frills, just the way a muscle car should be. And while I wanted the halos and HID of the RS, the regular halogens with fogs put out decent light and I am loving the old school look of them.

And, the basic conclusion I came to, no matter which model camaro I bought, be it the LS all the way up through the 2SS, it was the best car for the money out there than anything else on the market. I looked at the Hyundai Genesis 2.0T R-spec, and thought, well, heck if I'm going to buy this I might as well buy the LS and get 312hp rather than 200 for the same price. I also slightly considered the BMW 1 and 3 series, but they were much more expensive for less hp. I also looked at the 370z but figured for $30K+, I'd buy the SS.

Anyway, glad to be here, thnaks for reading, and looking forward to more fun with the SS.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Welcome to the party
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Welcome to Camaro5. What part of Florida you from? Also those frills you talk about you'll probably get some of them in the aftermarket. Have fun with your new Camaro and take care of her or him.Need pics of your car also.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Welcome
Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Howdy! Glad you made it to the party!

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldman View Post
Welcome to Camaro5. What part of Florida you from? Also those frills you talk about you'll probably get some of them in the aftermarket. Have fun with your new Camaro and take care of her or him.Need pics of your car also.
Tampa bay area, and yes, I do plan to add some frills aftermarket wise, but we'll see. Usually when I see a frill I want, I see a reason not to get it. Like Bluetooth for the phone: it would be awfully convenient, however I don't really like to talk on the phone when I drive. I like to listen to the engine or music, and relax.

An no disrespect to anyone that got a 2LT or 2SS, its just that for me the 1SS was the best option. (And, I don't have those parking sensors on my rear bumper ).

On that note, it took me forever to find out what the parking sensors are! I noticed them, and had been seeing them on cars for awhile. I thought they were the little plastic tab thingys for securing it, and for a long time I kept seeing caddies, BMWs, mercedes, etc, with these things on the bumper and I kept thinking "huh, for all that money you'd think they could hide the clips better) Then, looking at the camaro I tried to figure it out, At first I thought it was the SS had them, and the V6 didn't. Then, after looking on the lot, I thought that the 2LT and 2SS had these things, and then I saw a 1 LT with them that blew that theory. Finally I googled them and found out that they were the sensors, standard on 2LT and 2SS, and optional on 1LT and 1SS.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
organgrinder

Drives: 55 nomad
welcome to the board!!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
That waskily dealer knew giving you the keys for the day was going to seal the deal.

I am still working on geting mine...but congratulations on yours. Enjoy it.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Kman 2011 ss

Drives: '04vette- '11-1SS '11-1LS(wifes)
Congrats & enjoy your new camaro.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
panther2469

Drives: 2011 2SS RS SIM Litho # 193
Welcome
Old 03-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Cbrenthus, CONGRATS, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's and wive's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Congrats fellow 1SS owner!!
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
RollTideMom

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro RS
welcome
Old 03-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
alfie43