Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
JEP

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 2SS 6speed
I may do coil springs instead of drop springs.

I like the idea of being able to choose the ride height I like and adjust the damper rate.
What are the CONS to coil springs? (besides price)

For those that have had both drops springs and coilovers, can you tell me a bit about how the coilovers compare to drops?
JEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Coilovers are superior to drop springs.

Coil overs allow adjustability not only in ride height, but also allow you to adjust bound/rebound to give you a soft or firm ride.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Our coilovers are my favorite product we offer for the Camaro. Having driven on both setups extensively, I can say without a doubt that if coilovers fit into your budget they are the way to go. Featuring 20 way damping adjustment our coilovers offer the flexibility to be setup for a comfortable street ride, all the way to aggressive track use. They can give you the customized lower stance your looking for, and can be corner balanced if you're searching for that last .10 of time at the track.

Drop springs do offer an increase in performance and a lowered stance, but ultimately the performance ceiling on coilovers is much higher than a set of drop springs. For street use you'll find that depending on where you have your dampers set with coilovers your car will feel much lighter and be more responsive to throttle/breaking/steering inputs, and still smooth and comfortable.

As far as cons for coilovers:

1. Price, they're more expensive than drop springs.
2. Increased gas consumption when you take more "drives to the store" to spend time in your car

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
With some coilovers depending on the company you change the spring preload depending on the hight of the car. Getting your self on a set of pedders xa coilovers Is the best way to go. They lock in the preload of the coils and adjustability comes from adjusting the shock body in to the clevis. So you never touch the spring tension again
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
JEP

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 2SS 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
With some coilovers depending on the company you change the spring preload depending on the hight of the car. Getting your self on a set of pedders xa coilovers Is the best way to go. They lock in the preload of the coils and adjustability comes from adjusting the shock body in to the clevis. So you never touch the spring tension again
So, in Pedders coilovers, the ride height is mostly determined beforehand and the adjustability is only in the damping?
JEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

No the ride hight is fully adjustable. There is a separate ring that you adjust with the supplied wrench. The entire shock body moves not just the spring. The difference is you don't have any float issues if you over extend your suspension. With the pedders the shock travel and spring stay in sync. If you would like send me your zip and I can price you out a set
Old 05-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Jep check out the link. The man him self justice Pete will give you a better understanding of the xa coil overs Pete comes on at 4:00 of the video http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?deskt...lay=True&gl=US
Old 05-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Hess Motorsports
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS with WAY TOO MANY MODS
Having adjustable body height is not necessarily a good thing, too much adjustment, too many things to come loose. Too many variables during set up if not done ocrrectly.
Most customers, if not ALL street car customers can still benefit greatly from any coil over system. If the body design and shock travel are built into the dampers, i.e. Pfadt Racing, then unless you want the thing to ride on the ground in which case you don't really care about performance, the body height adjustment issue becomes irrelevant.

For my money, and from the feedback we have gotten from every customer who has them, I would run the Pdaft Coil Over system.
Hess Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
RichJ.
Shop Owner

Drives: 1 ton silverado
First question should be. How do you plan to use your car? Look at the book on the 5th gen Camaro. All your answers will be there.
RichJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
I agree with the coilover vs. springs....coilovers 100% better! The ability to adjust with a few clicks of a knob is awsome! As far as the ride height most people just set it down an inch to inch and a quarter then never adjust again. I have had great performance with my Pedders on both the street and track. Pfadt is also a very good one.
Here is a link to the "Book" for info:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90270
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
Account Suspended

Drives: black camaro
doesnt wheel alignment change when you change heights with coil overs?
632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 632 View Post
doesnt wheel alignment change when you change heights with coil overs?
Yes, you will have to re-align after changing the ride height.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
Yes, you will have to re-align after changing the ride height.
...so every time one changes the ride height with the adjustable settings the car has to be re-aligned? Seems like that would get expensive quickly for something that's designed to be so dynamic.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
...so every time one changes the ride height with the adjustable settings the car has to be re-aligned? Seems like that would get expensive quickly for something that's designed to be so dynamic.
interesting