Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
rwavers

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
hotchkis springs question

So I'm looking for some help. I installed the springs myself following the directions from hotchkis and threads on here from other guys leading the way. But the only DIY's I could find was for PFADT springs. All of which used a box cutter to cut the foam bump stops. The hotchkis directions did not call for this step so I didn't do it at the time I did the install.

Did I screw the pooch here? Does cutting the foam bumpstops buy you anything? And yes I realize I probably should have asked this before I spent six hours in the garage doing the swap.

Thanks

Rob
rwavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
comm54
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2SS/RS IBM M6-when she lets me
You should call the Hotchkis shop (562) 907-7757
Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You won't need to cut the bumpstops on the Hotchkiss springs. Phadt recommends this due to the fact that they drop the car more that Hotckiss. You are fine.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Correct. You are fine. I've had Hotchkis on my car for about 6k miles. Didn't cut the stops....no issues.

Just make sure that when you go to have it aligned you fined someone that knows how to time your bushings. It makes a difference.....I can tell you from first hand experience not having it done the first time.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
rwavers

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
Thanks guys. And Caverman, as always thank for the info. I just finished the sticky and saw all your info. I did the install myself and had the alignment done at the local GM/Cadillac dealer. The tech double checked all my work to make sure I didn't miss anything but I didn't ask about timing/seating the bushings. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and ask him about that and to try and get a print out of what spec's they used. When I was taking it in all i could on here was the Pfadt settings (1.25" in the front) so I didn't give them any guidance. I can't believe I missed the sticky at the top... Wish I had seen that before I took it in.
rwavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
As has been stated, if Hotchkis doesn't say to cut them do not cut them.

Cutting the bump stops is a bad idea, they are designed to protect the internals of the strut, if you remove the protection of the strut, your likely going to damage the strut if you bottom out.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
RichJ.
Shop Owner

Drives: 1 ton silverado
What Rob said
RichJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
You're fine! You didn't completely remove the bump stop, so there is still material there if you end up hitting a large bump and compressing those springs. Even if Hotchkis didn't specifically tell you to trim the bump stop, your car isn't going to fall apart if you did. We direct our customers to trim that stop so they regain a little extra compression travel that lowering springs eat into.

Other companies may not direct you to trim the bumpstops, and they are certainly familiar with their products. I can tell you from personal experience that cutting your bumpstops isn't detrimental to performance or longevity of your shocks. For your specific spring package it may not be necessary, but you didn't hurt anything by doing a little trimming.

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 06-14-2011 at 10:41 AM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote