Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #15
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
No matter what the car is intended for, however much amount of chassis flex, or the tire size, a 480-500 rwhp should mph more than 101 in the quarter.

101 mph trap speed barely beats a V6 Camaro down the strip. Definitely some major issues going on.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
Inferno Orange 2SS-RS
US Army Retired

Drives: IOM 2SS-RS - A6 (L99)
My stock L99 ran 13.38.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smkymts View Post
I have 2011 SLP ZL585 Convertible 2ss Supercharged LS3 M6. It has SLPs: TVS2300, 160 thermo, Blackwing CAI, Engine covers, 1" lowering suspension, 29mm front/rear sway bars, ZL Redline rims, Loud mouth II car back, GM GFX pgk.
I ran it at my local track to verify what SLP claims for horsepower and 1/4 times. First, let me say up front, I know how to drive, it's not the driver. I run my 2009 Saturn Sky tubo Redline at the same 1/4 mile track with 12.89 104mph. My reaction times have ranged this year between .002 to .191 I have won street class bracket nights. I can drive, and don't count runs where I spin tires or muss a gear.
But this Camaro can't beat my 4 cylinder. The Camaro's best time has been 13.289 101mph. it has been Dyno'd at two different shops with outcomes of 487 RWHP and 495.5 RWHP. That would be close to the SLP posted hp of 585. C&D, Motortrend, Automobile Mag, MotorWeek's post Hp too. But ever one of them have stated in print that this car is 11.5 to 12.7 sec 1/4 mile timed. So WHY won't my car perform???
Please post your thoughts and solutions! Because I can't get SLP to comment or look into this for me. I am running at Bristol, Tn. Thunder Valley dragstrip and yes I know it's evelation I a little high and humity, baronameter, track conditions all play apart. But I should see my usual number I always get from my turbo 4 auto, then run my camaro ten minutes later and get 13's. Hell, some members are getting low 13's without a supercharger. And yes, the supercharger is functioning correctly.

Even with all of the driving factors, the MPH tells the story, this car is not making the power on the track that it shows on the dyno.

There are So Many things that can cause loss or lack of power it would really take a set of Trained Eyes and ears to diagnose your problems.

Logging would be an Immense help, you should have an SCT tuner set it up and log your Runs.

Ted.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #18
Smkymts

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Thanks for all the comments. Most are helpful and tell me that I am not crazy. It didn't seem right to me either. But SLP has seen this thread and wants me to contact them now. I haven't Dataloged, and didnt want to mess with the tune and have SLP void its warranty. As for gas, I alway use 93, but added 4 gal. of 103 fuel at the track fir a total of 5 gallons fuel, 240lbs driver, no extra dead weight, stock 20x10 Pzero tires, shifting 1st-2nd at 6000rpm, never shifting to 4th, crossing finish line at 5900rpn in third. Engine temp at greenhorns was 191. Tried launch control and no LC. At track start time temp was 91 degrees but fell to 79 by the time I reached the finals of bracket race. Adjusted alt. was 1700feet. And I was at 3000rpm launch. But lime I said, I am nor counting the times I had wheel spin or missed a gear. Had many excellent runs with no problems, other wise I could not have take 1st in a field of 30.
With respect to JoshBob and Padre This was a drag race not a road race and the swaybars and springs had not been installed yet at time of the run. I did not purchase the convertible to race, I took it to the track to see the time numbers.
As to the track, for those that don't know, this is a NHRA certified track and you can't run beaters at this track and must go through track inspectors to run. The only down side to Bristol, is it's known for being a slower track because of the altitude and weather air conditions being trapped between two mountains. But John Force loves the track and wins here all the time. The day I took it to the track, officals announced that it was the best track conditions the entire year with the lowest adjusted altitude.

As for Maryland Speed, you must not have read completely, I know how to drive. You don't beat fields of thirty racers and take first if you don't know how to drive. And I am fully aware that you drive a lite weight two seat turbo 4 cylinder different than a heavy 6sp manual. Don't take this wrong, but I wa not bashing SLP or anyone. I simply posted my concern that something seems to be off if all reports from the magazines are actually correct. I openly started that the horsepower seemed to match SLPs posted 585 if you use 17-20% adjustment lost fro drivetrain. It's just I can't figure out why the car won't break 13 sec 1/4 mile. Maybe it's because it's the heavier Convertible which was not used in the magazines investigation of SLPs zl585, and the slow track conditions, but would that add up to over a sec in the 1/4????
Thank you again to those with positive comments/concerns. This is the best forum on the web!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. Most are helpful and tell me that I am not crazy. It didn't seem right to me either. But SLP has seen this thread and wants me to contact them now. I haven't Dataloged, and didnt want to mess with the tune and have SLP void its warranty. As for gas, I alway use 93, but added 4 gal. of 103 fuel at the track fir a total of 5 gallons fuel, 240lbs driver, no extra dead weight, stock 20x10 Pzero tires, shifting 1st-2nd at 6000rpm, never shifting to 4th, crossing finish line at 5900rpn in third. Engine temp at greenhorns was 191. Tried launch control and no LC. At track start time temp was 91 degrees but fell to 79 by the time I reached the finals of bracket race. Adjusted alt. was 1700feet. And I was at 3000rpm launch. But lime I said, I am nor counting the times I had wheel spin or missed a gear. Had many excellent runs with no problems, other wise I could not have take 1st in a field of 30.
With respect to JoshBob and Padre This was a drag race not a road race and the swaybars and springs had not been installed yet at time of the run. I did not purchase the convertible to race, I took it to the track to see the time numbers.
As to the track, for those that don't know, this is a NHRA certified track and you can't run beaters at this track and must go through track inspectors to run. The only down side to Bristol, is it's known for being a slower track because of the altitude and weather air conditions being trapped between two mountains. But John Force loves the track and wins here all the time. The day I took it to the track, officals announced that it was the best track conditions the entire year with the lowest adjusted altitude.

As for Maryland Speed, you must not have read completely, I know how to drive. You don't beat fields of thirty racers and take first if you don't know how to drive. And I am fully aware that you drive a lite weight two seat turbo 4 cylinder different than a heavy 6sp manual. Don't take this wrong, but I wa not bashing SLP or anyone. I simply posted my concern that something seems to be off if all reports from the magazines are actually correct. I openly started that the horsepower seemed to match SLPs posted 585 if you use 17-20% adjustment lost fro drivetrain. It's just I can't figure out why the car won't break 13 sec 1/4 mile. Maybe it's because it's the heavier Convertible which was not used in the magazines investigation of SLPs zl585, and the slow track conditions, but would that add up to over a sec in the 1/4????
Thank you again to those with positive comments/concerns. This is the best forum on the web!
Datalogging your runs can be your Best Solution, then you can really see what is going on.

I would be happy to view your logs.

Ted.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
Good to see SLP stepping up and looking to investigate. Please let us know what you find.

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
Old 11-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #21
Smkymts

I know how to drive but not build, so can someone tell me what I need and how to perform a Datalog on my next run in the spring?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #22
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
I know how to drive but not build, so can someone tell me what I need and how to perform a Datalog on my next run in the spring?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #23
Smkymts

Wow those videos were detailed and informative. That being said, how should I drive my car to get the datalog for you Ted?
Old 11-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #24
Ravener

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Blk
Datalogging FTW. Ted can probably eyeball what's going on better than most so I'd take him up on the offer.

I knew something was jacked when you posted the 101 mph trap. With massive traction woes and wheel hop my LS3 is at 117 with bs 12.6s so the indicators are there that my rwhp is higher than the 90+ degree and 100% humidity 422 rwhp dyno printed out. With almost 490 rwhp you "should" be easily passing mid-low 12s (even correcting for the -.4 tenths for weight).
Old 11-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #25
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Wow those videos were detailed and informative. That being said, how should I drive my car to get the datalog for you Ted?

Like you stole it
Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #26
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Sounds like you had enough octane. My first thought would be to try to get more cool air to it. Maybe a better CAI and scoop set up.

The ECM is going to kill the power if it sees knock or high IATs. You had the octane, your not going to recalibrate it.... so the only thing I can think to work on is cooling the intake air and trying to avoid staging lane heat soak.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
Smkymts

Are their any other Supercharged Verts out there!

If you have a SLP,Callaway,Hennessey, Lingenfelter, or other Supercharged Convertibles, Please post your 1/4 miles times & speed. It would be interesting to see if the weight is a big factor. I'm sure everyone would be interested.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #28
Nmbr1gmfan

Drives: Fast
Post 1/4 incrementals please.

Closed Thread