Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
What Metras are running fine, Ive seen several posts from members whom had to have their Metra kit replaced multiple times!
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

I was told if your box has a green dot your good to go, Any truth to this rumor?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
well...got the call today and the replacement kit. I will get it swapped eventually, I've had no problem so far though. Even on a 13 hour drive, twice. Alpine should TOTALLY be paying the shops for labor here. IMO...shops should all get together, maybe chime in on 12v insider.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #18
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
agree with you 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
well...got the call today and the replacement kit. I will get it swapped eventually, I've had no problem so far though. Even on a 13 hour drive, twice. Alpine should TOTALLY be paying the shops for labor here. IMO...shops should all get together, maybe chime in on 12v insider.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
Zach@ExtremePerformance

Drives: not a Camaro :(
Kevin - the ones we got in did in fact have a green dot. I specifically looked for a dot or some type of signifier, and both the box itself and the electronics pack have them.

grogetter- yes, ideally they SHOULD pay for r & r labor; and your and camarograna2's support is appreciated!

...oh, and....(read in typical German officer voice from any '60s - 80's WWII movie) There shall be no mention of the Insider!!
Zach@ExtremePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
You know...Alpine will have someone at Daytona if they indeed have a booth...you'll see me talking to someone. lol
Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #21
insomniac2k2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM
Don't get me wrong. There is always room for improvement. But the scosche and alpine kits are light years ahead of metra. Most of the issues that you read about are user error caused. Some are not.

Fitment is perfect on mine. SWC controls do not work because im running a brand newly release kenwood deck. I also read that it doesn't work with metra kits. The screen is a second rate screen IMO(run in night mode. Day mode looks like $hit), but it is a screen and not a calculator pad.

Overall, there is much room for improvement, but I would have never chosen a metra over a scosche or alpine kit. In fact, I waited until the scosche came out because I could not overlook the distasteful look of the metra kit.

Let's hope that both sides learn where they can improve their products and give us some better options in the near future. I'd be happy to pay extra for a better looking option than either of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjames View Post
you havent been reading this forum at all then. Nearly everyday theres a thread about scosche problems, screens, fitment, everything.

However the metras are running fine.
insomniac2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #22
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac2k2 View Post
Don't get me wrong. There is always room for improvement. But the scosche and alpine kits are light years ahead of metra. Most of the issues that you read about are user error caused. Some are not.

Fitment is perfect on mine. SWC controls do not work because im running a brand newly release kenwood deck. I also read that it doesn't work with metra kits. The screen is a second rate screen IMO(run in night mode. Day mode looks like $hit), but it is a screen and not a calculator pad.

Overall, there is much room for improvement, but I would have never chosen a metra over a scosche or alpine kit. In fact, I waited until the scosche came out because I could not overlook the distasteful look of the metra kit.

Let's hope that both sides learn where they can improve their products and give us some better options in the near future. I'd be happy to pay extra for a better looking option than either of them!

I called Alpine yesterday and they said there is no recalls what so ever on any of their equipment. Also I purchased my dash kit from pacific car stereo, and they have no word about any recall's either.

Zach can you scan in (pdf) the letter from Alpine and post so those that have ordered the kits have the paperwork to get issues resolved. Any assist would be appreciated.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsololobo02 View Post
I called Alpine yesterday and they said there is no recalls what so ever on any of their equipment. Also I purchased my dash kit from pacific car stereo, and they have no word about any recall's either.

Zach can you scan in (pdf) the letter from Alpine and post so those that have ordered the kits have the paperwork to get issues resolved. Any assist would be appreciated.
Alpine lied to you then, So did Pacific Stereo! I pucrchased the 1st kit Pacific stereo sold, and was called by them about the recall. I sent my kit back and they sent me the new kit with the green dot.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #24
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Kevinshawnm,

Thank you for your input. I'll call PCS tomorrow to see what they say again. Do you have a pic of the green dot or any prior e-mails/documentation on this that I could send to them with regards to this issue?
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #25
CamaroSS45
Annihilator

Drives: 2012 45th ERL-427 F1X
Thumbs down

I can say that I have had 4 die on me.... Not making this up - not blowing it out of proportion - and truly sad. Most were within 1 week of install, screen went black - dead. The only controls left working were the hazards and locks (consistent with other reports).

The last and most recent one lasted a month (about) - and I was not in any way touching the install - and just "went".

I agree the kit, and the Alpine style itself, is very nice. However - if this does not clear up (and this ultimately is a Scosche module) the Metra or stock is the way to go. The word I heard was the delay we all faced on getting these was indeed the display electronics - apparently they are not 100% past that.

I know some folks have these working and really thought my last one was solid - and I was past it. Then - about 3 weeks ago (gone).....

Hopefully this green dot batch is the cleanse (but per prior emails) - Alpine has played this off as "nope - such a small number sold of these we barely deal with them.....".
CamaroSS45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #26
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS45 View Post
I can say that I have had 4 die on me.... Not making this up - not blowing it out of proportion - and truly sad. Most were within 1 week of install, screen went black - dead. The only controls left working were the hazards and locks (consistent with other reports).

The last and most recent one lasted a month (about) - and I was not in any way touching the install - and just "went".

I agree the kit, and the Alpine style itself, is very nice. However - if this does not clear up (and this ultimately is a Scosche module) the Metra or stock is the way to go. The word I heard was the delay we all faced on getting these was indeed the display electronics - apparently they are not 100% past that.

I know some folks have these working and really thought my last one was solid - and I was past it. Then - about 3 weeks ago (gone).....

Hopefully this green dot batch is the cleanse (but per prior emails) - Alpine has played this off as "nope - such a small number sold of these we barely deal with them.....".

The only way to go is OEM when its done.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #27
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
The only way to go is OEM when its done.
I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #28
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Congrats on the car is it as good as they say.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote