Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
Unrealistic request to ask of buyer when selling?

Just a quick question for you folks.
Considering selling my 2010 manual and replacing it with a 2013 automatic. (That is what the wife prefers and wants and I have absolutely no problem with that)
Someone has expressed interest in the car and wants to test drive it. He said that even if he test drove it today he was not going to purchase it right on the spot as he is also considering purchasing a new convertible.
I told him in order for him to test drive my car he needed to show me proof from his bank that he is good for the purchase price that we have agreed on pending his test drive.
When I suggested that to the potential buyer he got all pissy and said providing a letter from his bank is a deal breaker(even though he claims he could buy five of these if he wanted them).
Unreasonable or not? I don't feel it is as it only takes a few minutes for the bank to type up a letter stating that the buyer is able to cover the agreed upon funds if he so desires to purchase the vehicle.
I think it separates the tire kickers and joy riders from the real buyers.
Long story short,he and I have parted on not so friendly terms.

EDIT... The test drive that he would have been taking was going to be with me IN THE CAR WITH HIM and he knew that and was fine with it.
Insurance coverage was not the issue,proving he was a serious buyer and could pay for it was.
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.

Last edited by papabearcamaro; 04-11-2012 at 04:06 PM.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
I always have a stipulation when I sell a car-- no joyrides-- come with cash in hand.

I don't think it's unreasonable of you at all.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
I don't think it is unreasonable at all. After all it is still your car.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I don't think it is unreasonable, have him sign a waiver saying that he is liable for any damage during the test drive as well, that way if he was full of it and still had the money, (and wrecked it) you would be covered.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I've never let someone test drive a car sold. I drive it with them in it and never had a problem. Sorry don't trust a random stranger with my car/insurance. If they wreck it they can walk away and your insurance goes up and you MAYBE can sue them (good luck).
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
I'd ask what for the same proof you did, and I'd also ask to make copies of his driver's license and current insurance card. I'd also go with...no one would take it alone.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Is this him?
Attached Images

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
invaderzim

Drives: 45th SS, '12 ducati 1199 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
Is this him?
I'm thinking the one where's he's test driving the bike would be more appropriate for this thread...
invaderzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invaderzim View Post
I'm thinking the one where's he's test driving the bike would be more appropriate for this thread...

Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Maybe he has never bought a nice used car before....
Old 04-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
While I understand your position and don't feel that you're asking for something terrible, it doesn't make for a pleasant buying experience. From the buyer's perspective, you're indicating that he appears to be a deadbeat and has to prove to you otherwise.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
While I understand your position and don't feel that you're asking for something terrible, it doesn't make for a pleasant buying experience. From the buyer's perspective, you're indicating that he appears to be a deadbeat and has to prove to you otherwise.
I am sorry but if he can supposedly buy 5 new Camaros at will then he it is a drop in the hat or he is broke, either way rather be safe then sorry.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
I'd ask what you did, and I'd also ask to make copies of his driver's license and current insurance card. I'd also go with...no one would take it alone.
Insurance follows the car, not the driver. His insurance wouldn't do jack if he wrecked it.

Hey Papabear, not an unrealistic request. If he's serious he'll show proof. Heck, I'm buying houses for rental property and when I bid cash, I have to provide proof of accounts that can cover my bid each time. These are generally bank owned and they want to know they're being dealt with seriously.

Cash talks, BS walks.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearcamaro View Post
Just a quick question for you folks.
Considering selling my 2010 manual and replacing it with a 2013 automatic. (That is what the wife prefers and wants and I have absolutely no problem with that)
Someone has expressed interest in the car and wants to test drive it. He said that even if he test drove it today he was not going to purchase it right on the spot as he is also considering purchasing a new convertible.
I told him in order for him to test drive my car he needed to show me proof from his bank that he is good for the purchase price that we have agreed on pending his test drive.
When I suggested that to the potential buyer he got all pissy and said providing a letter from his bank is a deal breaker(even though he claims he could buy five of these if he wanted them).
Unreasonable or not? I don't feel it is as it only takes a few minutes for the bank to type up a letter stating that the buyer is able to cover the agreed upon funds if he so desires to purchase the vehicle.
I think it separates the tire kickers and joy riders from the real buyers.
Long story short,he and I have parted on not so friendly terms.
Sounds like to me he just wanted a test drive before he bought his vert and his dealer didn't have any Camaro's to drive.

What you asked for isn't unreasonable at all imo. After all when you go and buy a new car the dealership asks for proof that you can afford it. But personally I never let anyone drive my car. His name isn't on your insurance and if something happens you and your insurance will be paying not him.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote