Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
simoneves

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS vert (soon)
Help me decide... Hurst? NPP?

I'm circling around ordering a 2013 2SS/RS M6 convertible, but I've only found one '12 SS M6 for test drive in a dealer within 50 miles, and none have any '13 manuals yet.

Is there much of a difference between the regular shifter and the Hurst?

I'm British and have driven sticks all my life, and I've never really been bothered by the length of the lever. The one I drove (which had the Hurst) seemed fine, but I don't care about the name or the retro aspect, and I'd rather it was easy to shift than cool.

As for the dual-mode exhaust, I have to admit I was a little disappointed by the sound (or rather lack thereof) of the '12, but I don't think my neighbours would appreciate me early in the morning if it's that loud at idle, nor do I want to become a cop-magnet should I need to go above 3000rpm in daily driving!

I've seen the various aftermarket exhaust controller mods, but they all seem to be designed to make it louder, not quieter! I kinda wish there was the option to keep the valves closed ALL the time. Maybe that answers my question!
simoneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Zeus95

Drives: IOM 2010 - 2SS/RS
I just replaced my stock shifter with the Hurst Short Throw, can't give you exact details. But its a Huge difference IMO, alot shorter throws and you can feel the shifts/gears alot better. I'm sure all these guys will give better explanations, but I like the Hurst alot more then stock.
2010 2SS/RS IOM Upgrades: Fastlane CAI / SLP II Loudmouth axle back / V Max Ported TB / Kook's Step Long Tube Headers / High flow cats / Straightline Tune / BMR front & rear sway bars / Hotchkin End Links / Hurst Short Throw. LG ZR28 Wheels 1 of 2 sets made. Pfadt trailing arms / Diff Bushings & Sub Frame bushings / 1LE Axle & Hubs.
Zeus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Twehttam

Drives: 2013?
Drove a '12 Hurst and regular M6 back-to-back a few weeks ago as comparison before I order a '13. Long story short, I'll be selecting the Hurst option (and NPP).
Twehttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
dkg11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I drive the stock one daily and i have driven the hurst as well... wish i had the money for a hurst right now...
Custom tune by Bob Morreale www.thetuningschool.com
QTP Electronic Exhaust cut-outs
12'' Alpine type R with 1500watts double ported box
Tinted windows
392RWHP on Mustang Dyno
dkg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
If the range of the shift lever doesn't matter, then save yourself some money.

There is a "mild to wild" controller offered in the vendor section which allows you to control the valves on the NPP. I believe it allows you to open them when you want it to.

Edit: yep, here's a link http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220686
Old 07-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
ronss

Drives: 2SS CGM/GRND FX/STRIPES/CAI, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus95 View Post
I just replaced my stock shifter with the Hurst Short Throw, can't give you exact details. But its a Huge difference IMO, alot shorter throws and you can feel the shifts/gears alot better. I'm sure all these guys will give better explanations, but I like the Hurst alot more then stock.
I second that
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Is it tricky to install the Hurst? Or could a novice do it?
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
simoneves

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS vert (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
There is a "mild to wild" controller offered in the vendor section which allows you to control the valves on the NPP. I believe it allows you to open them when you want it to.
Yeah, I saw that. It doesn't have an "always quiet" mode, though.
simoneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
GTUPONIT

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue & 2017 SS White
Follow directions and anyone can install the Hurst. It is in fact a night and day difference over stock. Short throw is nice for aggressive driving over standard but the positive engagement into every gear makes the vehicle feel better for daily driving.
GTUPONIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Eviscer8r
Pirate 2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm at school so no time to look up pricing. I had the stock shifter and replaced it with an aftermarket MGW shifter, at the recommendation of numerous folks on the forums. The MGW shifter was 350 or something when I got it, as it replaces not just the shifter but the cheap assembly that is stock. I'll try and find the old assembly and post pics. It really is crap cheap. Not sure where I was going with this..but if the extra cash isn't an issue then I'd replace the whole assembly as opposed to just the shifter which will remain in the old one
Old 07-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
I ordered my 2013 SS without the short throw shifter. I test drove a Hurst equipped 2012 and didn’t care for it that much. Like all of the other cars I’ve driven with aftermarket short shifter kits it just doesn’t feel “right” to me when I go to execute a smooth heel and toe downshift. I’ve owned many manual shift cars over the years, and never have I felt the need to have super short, notchy engagement. Perhaps I’m just stuck in my ways.

I did order the NPP option, and can’t wait to hear it in person. I’ll probably install a controller so I have the option to leave it open all the time.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Is it tricky to install the Hurst? Or could a novice do it?
I installed mine. The tricky part (ONLY if you have a V6) is getting the holding springs to release the stock shifter but everything else was basic enough for me to muddle my way through and I LOVE my Hurst short throw shifter.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
STW

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Short throw, only way to go. I had long throw originally. Yuk. I didn't use a Hurst, bought an SLP. Nice and tight. Install took an hour. There's a step by step thread on here with details. Google.. helpful. But do sound proofing under the shifter boot, gets a little louder over stock. fyi
STW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
LOVE my Hurst shifter!
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote