Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
Running Cats vs. Cat-less video request

Hey All,

I am about to get a cam installed and remove the cats. Cats are not required where I live.

I want to make the car a little louder. I have read many threads on what it will sound like if the cats were removed but I would like to hear some comparisons if possible. Currently I have kooks lt headers, hi flow cats and a magnaflow street series cat back. The cat back I have has a large resonator where the stock H pipe was along with 2 mufflers out back. I'm planning on removing the cats, get re-tuned and remove the mid resonator. I hope this will give me the sound I'm looking for.

Does anyone have a video they could post showing what a lt header with no cats sound like?

Thanks!
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
This is my car. 2" Texas Speed LT headers, no cats, and the stock catback.

No cats will make it.... "sharper" sounding. The cats (even high-flows) mellow out the exhaust a bit. Especially at the top of the RPM range. High-flows less than the stockers, but still.

I just picked up the Magnaflow 3" competition catback, will hopefully have videos this weekend if you're interested.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Ill get a video of my car for you tonight, im running TSP 1 7/8 Headers, Catless Mids, MBRP 3" Exhaust and a custom grind cam, raspy as hell but I love it.
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Outlaw77

Thanks shibbs!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
Outlaw77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajdin@A2BMotorsport View Post
Ill get a video of my car for you tonight, im running TSP 1 7/8 Headers, Catless Mids and an MBRP 3" Exhaust, raspy as hell but I love it.
I would be very interested in hearing that, thanks.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
This is close to what you have, kooks long tubes, cammed Maggie and a full 3" kooks system. It was too loud and sounded bad without the cats. This video is catless but with 10" mufflers in place of the cats and kooks mufflers at the back.

Just livin' life
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw77 View Post
Hey All,

I am about to get a cam installed and remove the cats. Cats are not required where I live.

I want to make the car a little louder. I have read many threads on what it will sound like if the cats were removed but I would like to hear some comparisons if possible. Currently I have kooks lt headers, hi flow cats and a magnaflow street series cat back. The cat back I have has a large resonator where the stock H pipe was along with 2 mufflers out back. I'm planning on removing the cats, get re-tuned and remove the mid resonator. I hope this will give me the sound I'm looking for.

Does anyone have a video they could post showing what a lt header with no cats sound like?

Thanks!
Cats are required . It is a federal law that all vehicles that came with cats must have them .Your car to be legal requires cats , look at you emission sticker. That said you and everyone else where there no inspections can easily run cat less and get away with it. It will be louder and more raspy , and you may like that
Old 08-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
Cats are required . It is a federal law that all vehicles that came with cats must have them .Your car to be legal requires cats , look at you emission sticker. That said you and everyone else where there no inspections can easily run cat less and get away with it. It will be louder and more raspy , and you may like that
Looks like the OP is in Canada.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumminxx View Post
Looks like the OP is in Canada.
Don't know the Fed emissions laws in Canada , but I suspect they require cats on newer cars.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Don't know the Fed emissions laws in Canada , but I suspect they require cats on newer cars.
"Require" is such a strong word.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
Outlaw77

Quote:
Thanks but it's a little different in Canada. In Alberta emission inspections are not required. BC just dropped them after 20 years. Quebec and Ontario still do though.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
Outlaw77

New cars are sold here with cats on them. Used cars have to have cats on them to be sold. But in most provinces you can drive right to the muffler shop and take them off and no one will bother you. Now you might get a check engine light but a tune takes care of that.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Im Catless. Mods in description.

After cam install.
Just an idle and a rev
http://youtu.be/_r95jLwvXFs

Before cam install. Actual driving with my phone on the back of my car
http://youtu.be/p1Why11Rs80

Before cam revs

http://youtu.be/hUBzOls_18E

Last edited by bionick; 08-21-2015 at 12:42 PM.
bionick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #14
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
https://youtu.be/-d7CGpmmHdk

This is mine. Intake kooks Lt headers with HF cats nf cam.
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote