Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Anyone put on 2.9 Whipple?

Curious if anyone has put on the 2.9 Whipple? How much HP gain over the stock 1.7? How about drivability? What other supporting mods are needed? Thanks for any input. I searched but couldn't find much.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
ZL14ME

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
I am also getting ready to add on a Whipple. Going through the search results I found WeaponX actually worked with Whipple on the development side of things. I think it was ZL1 specific development but not 100%. Maybe they will speak up.

Whipple claims to have there own tune and can add somewhere around 125hp on an otherwise stock car. However, I haven't seen anyone on here backup that claim. WeaponX cautioned of fuel issues and made mention of their fuel system upgrades but it went over my head.

I would think, at a minimum, the Whipple needs to breathe. I would assume a nice CAI, headers and exhaust with a solid tune should put down some serious power over stock with plenty of room to grow.

I've got another thread going where I made mention of going with the Whipple but asked for support on installing a cam.
ZL14ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Cam, meth, lowside. You at 850+ plus.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL14ME View Post
I am also getting ready to add on a Whipple. Going through the search results I found WeaponX actually worked with Whipple on the development side of things. I think it was ZL1 specific development but not 100%. Maybe they will speak up.

Whipple claims to have there own tune and can add somewhere around 125hp on an otherwise stock car. However, I haven't seen anyone on here backup that claim. WeaponX cautioned of fuel issues and made mention of their fuel system upgrades but it went over my head.

I would think, at a minimum, the Whipple needs to breathe. I would assume a nice CAI, headers and exhaust with a solid tune should put down some serious power over stock with plenty of room to grow.

I've got another thread going where I made mention of going with the Whipple but asked for support on installing a cam.
I want to do the same I'm curious as well, just a Whipple onto a stock ZL1. 125rwhp would be awesome
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
I talked to the GM COPO build manager this weekend and asked why they didn't put a W2.9 on the current ZL1 and he said it simply ran too hot and that when a W2.9 is used on a car intended primarily for road course applications, each lap gets slower than the last due to heat soak. He said in drag situation, there was no place to put a cooler large enough in the stock engine compartment and that an external cooler to hook up to between runs would be an absolute must and most people just don't want to hassle with all of that as a weekend warrior. Just what I was told.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I talked to the GM COPO build manager this weekend and asked why they didn't put a W2.9 on the current ZL1 and he said it simply ran too hot and that when a W2.9 is used on a car intended primarily for road course applications, each lap gets slower than the last due to heat soak. He said in drag situation, there was no place to put a cooler large enough in the stock engine compartment and that an external cooler to hook up to between runs would be an absolute must and most people just don't want to hassle with all of that as a weekend warrior. Just what I was told.
This is very useful and important information. I.e., if cooling (and fuel?) needs are not addressed, the expensive mod could be counterproductive.... Stock drivability and use on a roadcourse is key, as well as the ability to pass emissions.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #7
402ZL1

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I put on a W2.9 on my 18 ZL1, additional mods are rotofab, tsp longtubes, DSX flex fuel sensor and low side pump, LPE big bore HPFP. With the 3.5 pulley supplied by Whipple and stock lower pulley I put down 630 rwhp through a mustang dyno with E60. Tuner said on the dyno there were heat soak issues but said he never noticed anything while tuning on the street.
402ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402ZL1 View Post
I put on a W2.9 on my 18 ZL1, additional mods are rotofab, tsp longtubes, DSX flex fuel sensor and low side pump, LPE big bore HPFP. With the 3.5 pulley supplied by Whipple and stock lower pulley I put down 630 rwhp through a mustang dyno with E60. Tuner said on the dyno there were heat soak issues but said he never noticed anything while tuning on the street.

Wow, those #'s seem low. What was your baseline? I guess if you baselined around 550, then 630 isn't too bad I guess considering you aren't pulleying down so. I guess that's about right.

Pulley it down, add some meth, turn up the boost. Hit that 700 mark.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #9
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post

1.7L. 2.9 PSI-PSI the Whipple ran warmer? You are be messenger I know. GM would never spend that kind of $ on a Supercharger in my opinion. Not at the ZL1 price point. AMG uses twins screws & look at that price point.

I do not see GM ever R/D the Whipple. I am sure GM R/D a larger Eaton though & the mentioned results make sense.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:28 PM   #10
ZL14ME

There are other threads going on this but it does seem like the heat soaking is a real issue on the Whipple. Maybe the new magnuson will have better cooling? I still don’t know of anyone who has done just a whipple. Most everyone has supporting mods.

I’d rather stay away from meth. Not that I don’t see it’s value. But for me it’s one more fuel to maintain. Maybe I should just procharge my ZL1 and get away from a top mount.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:42 PM   #11
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL14ME View Post
There are other threads going on this but it does seem like the heat soaking is a real issue on the Whipple. Maybe the new magnuson will have better cooling? I still don’t know of anyone who has done just a whipple. Most everyone has supporting mods.

I’d rather stay away from meth. Not that I don’t see it’s value. But for me it’s one more fuel to maintain. Maybe I should just procharge my ZL1 and get away from a top mount.

^ PC FTW. Look, I like the Whip, was going to go with one before I went with my PC, but I knew I was going to want that 1500 hp mark and the Whip wasn't going to do it. Plus, any top mount depending on where you live of course is going to pull timing during these summer months. No matter how much shit you throw at it to keep it cool. Those manifold temps hit the 180 mark, the Zl1 is dead up top. Go Procharger and do it right. I should of just done it the first time, but nope. Learned the hard way. haha.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:07 PM   #12
ZL14ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
^ PC FTW. Look, I like the Whip, was going to go with one before I went with my PC, but I knew I was going to want that 1500 hp mark and the Whip wasn't going to do it. Plus, any top mount depending on where you live of course is going to pull timing during these summer months. No matter how much shit you throw at it to keep it cool. Those manifold temps hit the 180 mark, the Zl1 is dead up top. Go Procharger and do it right. I should of just done it the first time, but nope. Learned the hard way. haha.
Well...it’s not exactly cold in Alabama. Don’t get me wrong, it can get cold here for a few days. But the summers are usually stupid hot with that stupid humidity that makes you want to smack everyone. So...maybe I’ll be procharging.

I need to get a good “guide” on how to DIY this cam on the LT4 and my fall build is a go.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #13
402ZL1

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Wow, those #'s seem low. What was your baseline? I guess if you baselined around 550, then 630 isn't too bad I guess considering you aren't pulleying down so. I guess that's about right.

Pulley it down, add some meth, turn up the boost. Hit that 700 mark.
I have a 10% lower and plan on a 3.25" upper this winter, just didn't have the fuel upgrades in place to support big boost on Ethanol. Once I get injectors and a cam I'll go for some big numbers, at least that's the plan right now.
402ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #14
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402ZL1 View Post
I have a 10% lower and plan on a 3.25" upper this winter, just didn't have the fuel upgrades in place to support big boost on Ethanol. Once I get injectors and a cam I'll go for some big numbers, at least that's the plan right now.

Just my personal opinion, keep the 10% lower, bypass the upper. If you do, add meth at the elbow. You don't need injectors at this point. And you don't need a cam either. I'd finish off the rest of your boltons. Headers/Intake. Once you plan on going for the big number, 750+, then go cam. You still don't need injectors. But, at the point, you maxing out the lt4 blower, so you'll either stay where you are at or I'd upgrade to a Whip or Pro Charger, then work low side fueling. E85 if you so wish. Everyone has their own build process. haha.