Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Junkman's, The Mother of All "How to Fix Your Paint for Novices" Thread!

That's right boys and girls, The Junkman has went and made paint correction so easy, a caveman could do it! In the following video, I cover the entire process from start to finish.

This use to be a 5-part video series but I accidentally deleted the videos. I immediately was bombarded with request to reup those videos so I got them back and created ONE video with even more detail in the form of annotations that I have added to the video. Even though the videos were originally recorded back in 2012, the information contained within is still relevant to correcting your paint.

If you have ever been apprehensive about using a machine to rid your paint of scratches and swirls, you will definitely not be worried after watching this video series. I break it down to a level where a 10 year old can watch these videos and start fixing paint. The supplies and equipment that I use are readily available in the USA and abroad (for the most part). If you have a serious desire to finally fix your paint and about 1 hour and 54 minutes, then this video series is totally for you. After you have watched this series, you will not believe how easy I have made this.

So sit back and get out some popcorn, kick up your feet and enjoy. The Junkman is about to burst onto your screen in a way that only the Junkman can!

Here are your before and after shots, which won't make a lot of sense until you have watched the videos, especially when you see how the number "2" ended up in the paint!

BEFORE...

AFTER...

Here's your video:

The Junkman

Last edited by Junkman2008; 05-20-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Awesome post! Thanks for that.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
bump
Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
AJ......there is no doubt.....YOU ARE THE MAN!!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
AJ......there is no doubt.....YOU ARE THE MAN!!
You must be talking about my dancing?

Old 09-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Excellent
Old 09-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
What great info, thanks! I have a question. I used a clay bar for the first time yesterday on one section to to make sure I was using it right. It's awesome, don't know why I waited so long to use it. Can you tell me how often one should clay bar? Didn't know if doing it too much would harm the paint. Oh, does polishing have to be applied after clay barring? Just wondered if that had to be done.
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
Saved to favorites
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
What great info, thanks! I have a question. I used a clay bar for the first time yesterday on one section to to make sure I was using it right. It's awesome, don't know why I waited so long to use it. Can you tell me how often one should clay bar? Didn't know if doing it too much would harm the paint. Oh, does polishing have to be applied after clay barring? Just wondered if that had to be done.
Clay can mar the paint, so make sure to use it with plenty of lube.

Polishing does not have to be used after claying, but polishing will result in a better shine.

General guideline is clay bar your car at least 2x a year so every 6 months, but to determine specifically go outside with a baggie, put your hand in it and run it over your car. If you feel hundreds of tiny bumps, it's time to clay. This is called the baggie test.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
redhotcandy

Great advice, thanks!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
... General guideline is clay bar your car at least 2x a year so every 6 months...
I disagree but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
...but to determine specifically go outside with a baggie, put your hand in it and run it over your car. If you feel hundreds of tiny bumps, it's time to clay. This is called the baggie test.
I agree 100%

Here's the deal RedHot. Everyone is not going to subject their car to the same exact elements so there is not "set" amount of time between claying. My car specifically has not been completely clayed in years, however, it lives in a garage and really doesn't see the road for 5 months out of the year. A guy who's car sits in a driveway year round will clay his paint 10 times as much as I. But just as I show in those videos, the baggie test is the ultimate measuring stick. The baggie test NEVER lies and if the bag says you need to clay, then you need to clay. That is the ONLY determining factor that I use or go by.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
Thanks Aj your a prince hope to come see ya sometime when i go see my sis in owensboro
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I disagree but...

I agree 100%

Here's the deal RedHot. Everyone is not going to subject their car to the same exact elements so there is not "set" amount of time between claying. My car specifically has not been completely clayed in years, however, it lives in a garage and really doesn't see the road for 5 months out of the year. A guy who's car sits in a driveway year round will clay his paint 10 times as much as I. But just as I show in those videos, the baggie test is the ultimate measuring stick. The baggie test NEVER lies and if the bag says you need to clay, then you need to clay. That is the ONLY determining factor that I use or go by.
Thanks so much for the info!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I disagree but...

I just assumed that we are not talking about a garage queen, hence the "general guidelines"

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote