Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 12-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #57
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Nothing against GM's tire choice. I think GM should offer at a minimum a high performance all season as standard and the Goodyears as an option. The majority will not track/use the tires/car to its full potential. No I didn't take a poll this is just my observation after living in SoCal and living next to Willow Springs for years. Yeah, yeah you can replace the tires but why have tires sitting that may not get used or dry rot that you payed for. On the other hand you can wait till the stockers ware out. I had summer tires perform better than all seasons in the rain

Last edited by GM4lyfe; 12-22-2011 at 02:35 AM.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #58
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
For the edification of those touting "all-season" use of Summer-only tires, there ARE jurisdictions in North America where the use of winter tires is MANDATORY.

For folks in those regions, it's CLEARLY UNDERSTOOD.

For folks, elsewhere, this may be a "new" concept...but it isn't NEW...

You've ALL been warned...heed, or bear the results...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #59
bpmurr
The Enemy ;)

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
I have driven my 2011 GT500 with these tires on it without the cracking shown. However, I did not drive the car hard. Just back and forth to work in 30 degree weather.
2015 GT PP
2014 GT500 SVTPP/Track Pack
2013 Boss 302
2011 GT500 SVTPP
2010 GT500
2005 GT
bpmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #60
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
There is no such thing as a High Performance All Season tire. They can market this concept until the cows come home. It doesn't matter. They are AVERAGE tires across a wide range of temperatures.

The ZL1 is currently the ultimate performing 5th Gen Camaro and Chevy should sell it with only the best tire they can find. Tire options? Here's an idea. ZL1 comes standard with the 6 and offer the 6.2 and 6.2 SC options? It is a ZL1 described on Chevy's site as BARELY STREET LEGAL. Chevy got the tires right.

Finally when a tire manufacture tells you not to to drive a tire in whatever conditions there must be a reason. The reason is tire tread composition and design. I am a huge fan of Bridgestone RE-11 tires. They are hands down the best combination street / track tire. They turn into rolling black ICE when it gets cool. Not cold. Cool. Below 60 degrees the rears spin in every gear at modest throttle. In freezing temps they are almost useless. Let the pavement warm up, build some heat in them and they get sticky. The tires do exactly what they were designed to do.

Look at the tread. Bridgestone says they are designed to operate reasonably well in the rain. I guess it depends on what you call reasonable. They aren't horrible, but they are not good. They are better than slicks, but not good. If you buy these types of tires you don't expect good in the rain.

If you plan to drive your ZL1 in cold temps, cold rain or snow you are going to need winter tires. The tread compound is the polar opposite of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars. Winter tires do not perform well in warm temperatures, but they are amazing in the cold, cold wet and snow. We had an AWD Pacifica with top quality all season tires. I was doing suspension development on a HHR SS so I bought a set of winter tires. The tuned to 350 FWHP lowered HHR SS was better in the snow than the AWD with all season tires. I thought I knew about the difference between all season and winter tires. I did know what my tire manufacturing friends told me. I just could grasp the gap between the two. The difference between a true performance tire and a winter tire is much greater and hard to get your arms around because it so so big.

My Chicago area Pedders Dealer Waukegan Tire does a HUGE business in winter wheel and tire packages for Porsche 911s. What do you think you should do with your new ZL1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
We received a clarification to the questions that have been asked about cold-weather storage of the Ultra-High Performance tires that come equipped on the ZL1 from the factory.

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #61
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
I'm not a tire manufacture so I'm not going to say what does or don't exist or what is marketing or not. They are listed that way for some reason, maybe speed rating.

I do remember when the fourth gen Z28 was offered with tire options, the Z rated and the "touring tires". My friend had one with the touring tires told me that GM limited the car to about 120 MPH. The Z rated equipped car were limited to the 155mph. So if thats true then offering all-season tires won't work on the ZL1 because of speed ratings. Also the handling chartiristics of all-seasons are not the same as a summer tire, for that safety maybe of concern with GM. With that said I take back my last post.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #62
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4lyfe View Post
My friend had one with the touring tires told me that GM limited the car to about 120 MPH. The Z rated equipped car were limited to the 155mph.
This is why GM chose to go with the goodyear tires because they will set the speed limiters according to the tire rating, had they gone with a All Season tire the ZL1 would be limited to the 120-150 MPH range and I personally don't want that! Everyone stop your belly aching and do some actual research in this area:

Old 12-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #63
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Paying 60k for this car and then having to worry about the tires cracking? I'm not going to stress over the tires. Drive it normally and not hard, you should be fine
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #64
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
Paying 60k for this car and then having to worry about the tires cracking? I'm not going to stress over the tires. Drive it normally and not hard, you should be fine
Only within the stated temperature range can a ZL1 be driven normally.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #65
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I recently sold my '98 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 to RK Motors in NC...
OMG, I really miss that car; she was sweet... ! In the meantime, I'm sharing a 2012 Nissan Altima 3.5SR coupe with my wife until my ZL1 is delivered.

I've never been a fan of GOODYEAR rubber; the stories I could tell. I had a fresh set of YOKOHAMA ADVAN Neova AD-08s installed & I can tell you that they were the finest high performance Summer tires that I have ever experienced. WET, DRY... no matter, they delivered the goods. The VR-4 is a Japanese twin intercooled turbo GT with AWD & AWS. The tire manufacturer claims that they are good to go at temperatures above 14°F (storage/driven). If YOKOHAMA can develop a compound that can handle relatively cold temperatures w/o cracking or chunking out, why can't GOODYEAR? A threshold of 40°F is absurd & with ZL1s scheduled to be delivered via carriers exposed to the elements during Winter months, there is pause for concern. Damage during transport can be subtle & not necessarily visible to the naked eye. I would think that GM's Corporate attorneys are a bit perplexed. Can you imagine the liability involved with a decision to release the vehicle at a time that technically voids its own warranty with regard to rubber? Too bad that YOKOHAMA doesn't make the Advan Neova AD-08s to fit the ZL1; I'd be 1st in line for a swap out. I never drove my VR-4 in the snow or when temperatures dropped below 20°F. They never go glassy or developed flat spots; they always exhibited state of the art performance!

I had considered a NIssan GT-R, but the less than 9° approach angle wasn't working for me considering the fact that my driveway to a climate controlled garage has a 10° slope. By my calculations (gulp) it should have the same approach clearance as my VR-4... hahahahaaa

MERRY CHRISTMAS fellow gearheads!
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #66
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remys ZL1 View Post
Now that's funny!
Normally people with Lambos in general can replace cars at will , around here i think we love the one we have .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #67
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
A threshold of 40°F is absurd & with ZL1s scheduled to be delivered via carriers exposed to the elements during Winter months, there is pause for concern. Damage during transport can be subtle & not necessarily visible to the naked eye. I would think that GM's Corporate attorneys are a bit perplexed. Can you imagine the liability involved with a decision to release the vehicle at a time that technically voids its own warranty with regard to rubber?
The tires will be fine during transport,Its not like the cars will be driven at high speeds during the loading/unloading process.
The tires will also be fine while the car is sitting up in Oshawa waiting for delivery.
And its not like the tires "can't" be in the cold at all,the bulletin says to let them warm up to 40 degrees F prior to any highway use "if" they have been in temps under 20 degrees F.
When my SS arrived in mid-February this year the carrier driver told me when he loaded it that it was about -15 degrees F in Oshawa (I work at the dealership,so I get to see all the vehicles arriving) the P-Zero's are "summer only" tires and they survived just fine.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #68
bbboomer54

Drives: Loving my ZL1
I certainly hope your right. I will taking delivery of mine 3 states away. And if delivery is around March there is a good chance that temps will be in unrecommended range. I don't trust the car remaining at the dearlership until nice weather decides to roll around. GM needs to put out more than what is stated in the TSB. They need a set of recommendations for different situations. And when I get the car back home. I don't want to have to dismount the rims and tires and stick them in the basement. That's just wrong. I'm not paying $60k for a car to put it up on blocks even if I'm not driving it. While I respect some of the suggestions and opinions offered on the forum, the only one that really matters is GM's. So please GM. Put out something that provides some detailed best practices and recommendations to those of us in cold weather climates so that it won't force us to spend another couple grand. The recommendations provided in the TSB still leave a lot of room for different factors and situations.
bbboomer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #69
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbboomer54 View Post
I certainly hope your right. I will taking delivery of mine 3 states away. And if delivery is around March there is a good chance that temps will be in unrecommended range. I don't trust the car remaining at the dearlership until nice weather decides to roll around. GM needs to put out more than what is stated in the TSB. They need a set of recommendations for different situations. And when I get the car back home. I don't want to have to dismount the rims and tires and stick them in the basement. That's just wrong. I'm not paying $60k for a car to put it up on blocks even if I'm not driving it. While I respect some of the suggestions and opinions offered on the forum, the only one that really matters is GM's. So please GM. Put out something that provides some detailed best practices and recommendations to those of us in cold weather climates so that it won't force us to spend another couple grand. The recommendations provided in the TSB still leave a lot of room for different factors and situations.
This is no different than what we have now. The tires are summer tires, and should be used accordingly the same with any performance vehicle.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #70
gbosh

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
Too all who have followed my posting about the tire issue on 12/02/2011,it took on a life of it's own! Now it even has a sticky as well.
Now don't get too comfortable thinking about driving this car in the snow belt states! There is still some big problems some of you have not considered.
GM has failed to mention that it's special hood will suck up road chemicals kicked up by other cars and trucks! Just think calcium chloride all over your engine,it's one chemical in road salt and it likes to corode metal on contact. So think about what your vacuum hood will pick up on salted roads. Hear that sucking sound!
gbosh is offline   Reply With Quote