Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
New style catch can?

I am still catch can hunting. I found what looks like a fairly new product, only this one lists it is made for a Zl1. Most others list Ls3. SS, etc. and people are having to modify mounting brackets. Does anyone have one of these installed in the Zl1?
Attached Images

BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Click on the link below. That's a picture of Ted's ZL1 with a Moroso can installed. I will install mine on my Z over the weekend. I'm looking forward to installing it mainly because all the mounting hardware specific to our cars is included.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=27

link to JRE
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
SparkyDL75
SparkyDL75

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/Grey
That looks like a nice design, what brand is that? I wonder how it compares to the RX Performance model?
Suspension Pedders Pace Car Pkg w/ZL1 Upgrade; Pedders Upper & Lower Control Arm, Steering, & Differential Mount Bushings; Pedders SS Brake Lines; Pedders Dual Bearing Camber Plates; ZL1 Toe Link; Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads
Drivetrain Maggie2300(8psi-3.4pulley); CompCam; 85lb injectors; ZL1 fuel pump; ZR1 MAP; Centerforce DYAD Twin Disc clutch; Stainless Works LT headers; QTP Cutouts; Rotofab intake; RX catch can; Mike Norris tune 643rwhp 598 rwtq

SparkyDL75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
Click on the link below. That's a picture of Ted's ZL1 with a Moroso can installed. I will install mine on my Z over the weekend. I'm looking forward to installing it mainly because all the mounting hardware specific to our cars is included.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=27

Oh man, that was my next question, it ships with all those brackets shown in that picture?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Two things I notice right off the bat.

1) the size, considering the tubing on our cars is 5/16 I'm using the hose in the pic as the scaler - that can can't hold more than 8 oz from the looks of it.

2) look how the inlet and outlet tubes are in line with one another. I'm willing to bet that that "catch can" is nothing more than a fancy can with some steel wool inside.

But what do I know, I'm just the Stig right? Lol
Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 View Post
Oh man, that was my next question, it ships with all those brackets shown in that picture?
Yup, it ships with all the brackets as shown. Plus it's from a highly trusted forum vendor that has an awesome reputation on this forum.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

1) the size, considering the tubing on our cars is 5/16 I'm using the hose in the pic as the scaler - that can can't hold more than 8 oz from the looks of it.

2) look how the inlet and outlet tubes are in line with one another. I'm willing to bet that that "catch can" is nothing more than a fancy can with some steel wool inside.

Watch the YouTube video below. It shows the same can in action on a CTS-V. Nonetheless, it looks like a great product and it has Ted's recommendation which is more than good enough for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Y9klkDCItEY
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

I would have to agree with you on this. I have seen quite a few of these cans cut in half at my friends shop and 9/10 are just filled with steel wool and no chambers to condensate. cant wait to hear about the fitment and functionality though
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
That's the same can my brothers had on his challenger for a year. It was just put on a thread with a specific ZL 1 bracket. A catch can is a catch can, they all serve the same purpose no matter what engine they are on. Some designs work better than others. When I was looking at exhaust JBA had mid pipes listed for LS3, I phoned and asked if they'd fit a ZL1. The shop compared the pipes and they were identical, next time I looked at their site the pipes were listed for an LS3 and ZL1. Just because the can don't say ZL1 doesn't mean they won't do a great job. I went with the elite( for the LS3) and it works great. I had to have a custom bracket fabricated
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianZL1#992 View Post
I had to have a custom bracket fabricated
That's why I chose the Moroso that JRE posted. I initially bought the Elite can but I then would have needed to have a custom bracket made which I'm sure would not have been cheap. I then saw Ted's car with the Moroso and I was sold. I like the way the can is mounted.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

I ALMOST ordered the Elite, I got an email back from Tyler from Elite saying that the bracket is for the LS3, but with a few changes, it will work on a ZL1. I am opting to order one that is straight bolt on for a ZL1. That video didnt have any steel wool in it, and it caught a ton of oil. I hate to know how much oil has passed to this point into my SC/intake. I have 3600 miles on it with 1 oil change.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
It was about 20 for the bracket. The moroso is a great product but I liked the choice of colors with the elite. The bracket is the L bracket for the LS3 but shortened
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 View Post
I ALMOST ordered the Elite, I got an email back from Tyler from Elite saying that the bracket is for the LS3, but with a few changes, it will work on a ZL1. I am opting to order one that is straight bolt on for a ZL1. That video didnt have any steel wool in it, and it caught a ton of oil. I hate to know how much oil has passed to this point into my SC/intake. I have 3600 miles on it with 1 oil change.
if your rings seated well then the oil you will have sucked through should be minimal.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #14
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Not that it will really matter to most, but the Moroso also looks to be a higher grade of aluminum (6111). The RX looks to be a general purpose grade (6061).