Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #393
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKILL View Post
Sticky tires fixes the problem....low 11s all day. Maybe a 10 in the right weather and good 60'. AND lighter than the 4100lb ZL1. Thats why....

Horsepower wars are back.... Time to suit up gents, time to get dirty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocker View Post
But the fun factor! Give me a manual please.
Agreed!!! Way more fun.
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #394
Blackhawk021

Drives: 2010 BMW 535ix, 2011 GMC Acadia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorw24 View Post
You'll love the car regardless. It's just a fact that it gets better every year. You have to pull the trigger some time. Also, CAFE comes in soon, so these days are limited. Wish I could buy a ZL1 you're lucky.
Very true, and it looks like you are sitting on a pretty nice ride as it is!!!!!
Blackhawk021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #395
jose1003

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Cyber Gray
now whats next for Chevy, since ford is coming out with 650hp 200 mph 2013 shelby should i wait for the next camaro instead of a zl1
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #396
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by sed34 View Post
so essentially they tried to copy what Chevrolet did. "Hey guys, our mustang has a beefed up suspension also. We also have an and engine cooler. We have launch control, and brembo brakes." "Oh, and by the way, we've added 70 more HP and eagle tires."

I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
Wow, that would truly be amazing...that they were able to react so quickly to the competition. I used to work in the automotive industry and in my experience to react that quickly to a competitor would have been impossible. Oh, wait a second, it still is.

It doesn't work like that. The 2013 GT500 wasn't developed nearly that quickly, neither was the 2012 ZL1 for that matter, and I have absolutely no idea where people get these ideas from. Ford and GM do not simply wait around to see what the other is going to do before developing these things, if they did they would stay behind the curve forever and never be competitive or have any chance of taking the lead from a proactive rival rival.

As for 2012 vs 2013, despite appearances the 2012 ZL1 and 2013 GT500 will be direct competitors.

2012 AZL1 on sale date: Spring 2012
2013 GT500 on sale date: Spring 2012

In fact, as of right now there is a fair chance that the 2013 GT500 will be on lots before the 2012 ZL1 is. Don't get too caught up in model years, they can be easily tweaked to serve a purpose. These cars are going to be on the market at the same time and will be compared directly be every major magazine.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #397
myround0

Drives: 99 Trans Am
Trans Am

I still say, make the Corvette a special order handcrafted car. Bring back the Trans Am, make it here in America, and give it the what the ZR1 has. which leaves the Camaro, again, you make it here in America, and make sure it runs circles arouund the Mustang. On the TA, you make it all-wheel drive, and give it the progressive look.
myround0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #398
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizz View Post
We all know how the STEALERSHIPS are gonna do this car.... $54k sticker... $64k with dealer markups before even trying to finance the sucker.
NOT the GOOD dealers. They will sell for MSRP.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #399
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Boy oh boy, what a day for C5 site today. The number of people in the ZL1 section was staggering! Lots of information from the OEM's today and lots of opinions from you all.

The price for the ZL1 is very close to where I thought it would be. A lot of money for a lot of car. Everybody can plainly see that. Purely a personal choice regarding spending the money. Hard to argue with the price though given the market and specs/performance of the car.

As for the 2013 Ford, who really cares? That thing could have 2000hp and I wouldn't buy it. I'm a Chevy guy and always will be. This whole debate is really that simple. Good luck to those going with the Ford. I'm sticking with Chevy.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #400
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk021 View Post
Very true, and it looks like you are sitting on a pretty nice ride as it is!!!!!
Thanks, I appreciate it. Just happy to be in the club
Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #401
bthomp01

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
Wow, that would truly be amazing...that they were able to react so quickly to the competition. I used to work in the automotive industry and in my experience to react that quickly to a competitor would have been impossible. Oh, wait a second, it still is.

It doesn't work like that. The 2013 GT500 wasn't developed nearly that quickly, neither was the 2012 ZL1 for that matter, and I have absolutely no idea where people get these ideas from. Ford and GM do not simply wait around to see what the other is going to do before developing these things, if they did they would stay behind the curve forever and never be competitive or have any chance of taking the lead from a proactive rival rival.
You really used to work in the industry? Because it's pretty well known that all of these companies have their methods of getting the inside scoop at their competitors. I'm positive the people at Ford had more details about the ZL1 and than we ever did. I'm sure they knew about this price long ago and have reacted accordingly with the 2013 GT500.

As for the people that are bitching... really? REALLY?

Ok, so you don't want to do anything other than go in a straight line, that's cool then the ZL1 isn't the car for you. You can get a lot more power into the ground with a $35k SS and $20k in mods than you will buying the ZL1... but if you want to road race, god help you.

You're paying for the complete track package, the magnetic ride and it's ridiculous ability to run road courses (at that cost). If that's not what you want then don't get it.

Matte Black Bumblebee Stripes - Unpainted Heritage Grille - Blacked Out Bowties - Stainless Works S-Tube Catback - CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Rear Cradle, Rear Differential, Front Radius Rod Bushings - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Installed by Whiteside Customs

bthomp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #402
peronio
Hoorah75

Drives: 2010 jeep unlimited-2011 Camaro 2SS
Ok, Folks..., so what is the deal with orders for ZL1?!! I see people posting that orders are already in place, but overhere on the Tristate area no dealership has a clue about ZL1 orders avaiability!!
peronio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #403
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by peronio View Post
Ok, Folks..., so what is the deal with orders for ZL1?!! I see people posting that orders are already in place, but overhere on the Tristate area no dealership has a clue about ZL1 orders avaiability!!
find another dealership
Old 11-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #404
Red Rocker
I can't drive 55!

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I asked the girlfriend. She said, "yeah, but the manual is sexy"

Pretty much answers that....
Red Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #405
camarosc35

Drives: 1989 Camaro RS (435+hp, 435 lb./ft)
I am glad that the muscle car and competition is back, yes, I would like to see a Trans Am back in the race as well. Man, if you lived during the 70's and 80's, would you think you would see these cars, so much badder now?
camarosc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #406
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomp01 View Post
You really used to work in the industry? Because it's pretty well known that all of these companies have their methods of getting the inside scoop at their competitors. I'm positive the people at Ford had more details about the ZL1 and than we ever did. I'm sure they knew about this price long ago and have reacted accordingly with the 2013 GT500.
It just doesn't work like that. Your argument here is, effectively, that Ford had time to wait for GM to decide on a strategy for the ZL1, sort that all out and decide upon approach A rather than B or C in every area which takes even more time, and then answer GM in all of those areas with major modifications quickly enough to place the revised GT500 on sale possibly even before the first ZL1 rolls down the assembly line. So, to sum it up, somehow you are suggesting that Ford figured out what GM was doing and then rolled through the developmental process so quickly, including several stages GM would already be done with because they have to complete several developmental stages before even they are sure what they are going to do, so quickly that they not only caught GM but surpassed them? If so the rest of the automotive world can hang it up because Ford just cut development times down to levels other automakers have only dreamt of.

You have a vivid imagination, but no idea of how programs like these are carried out. Pricing doesn't take development time to match; suspension, engine, and chassis changes do.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 camaro zl1 msrp, 2012 camaro zl1 price, 2012 zl1 msrp, 2012 zl1 price, 2013 camaro zl1 price, 2013 zl1 price, camaro zl1 msrp, camaro zl1 price, camaro zl1 pricing, zl1 msrp, zl1 price, zl1 pricing