Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Six-Demon Bag

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
What is the deal with the V6 Manual Trans?

Ive got 1500 miles on my 2011 LS and so far I have had difficulty shifting into 2nd and 4th (totally blocked out but no grinding), This clunking noise coming from underneath the car when leaving from a stop light (1st to 3rd) and now I get this clatter when putting the clutch in if im driving slowly in first gear (ex. in parking lots). Im taking my car in to the dealership as soon as I can. Is there anything I should tell my dealer to look for specifically? Are these normal break in issues I need to deal with? Anybody else experience or have fixes for these issues?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you all might be able to offer.
Six-Demon Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-Demon Bag View Post
Ive got 1500 miles on my 2011 LS and so far I have had difficulty shifting into 2nd and 4th (totally blocked out but no grinding), This clunking noise coming from underneath the car when leaving from a stop light (1st to 3rd) and now I get this clatter when putting the clutch in if im driving slowly in first gear (ex. in parking lots). Im taking my car in to the dealership as soon as I can. Is there anything I should tell my dealer to look for specifically? Are these normal break in issues I need to deal with? Anybody else experience or have fixes for these issues?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you all might be able to offer.
That's the shift block that is programmed into the cars. just go a little higher before your shifts and you'll be good. That' noise sounds like it's normal to me... you will hear the gears, i really here it with my GMW shifter installed... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
That's the shift block that is programmed into the cars. just go a little higher before your shifts and you'll be good. That' noise sounds like it's normal to me... you will hear the gears, i really here it with my GMW shifter installed... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong.

The V6 manual does not have the 1st to 4th skip shift block that the V8 manual does.

Sounds like this V6 manual needs to have the dealer look at it. For the most part, what you have said has been experienced by multiple people with the V6 M6 combo, including myself. Get your dealer to reproduce the issue then have them call GM for further instructions on what to do next.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
larryt1026

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
You're wrong.

The V6 manual does not have the 1st to 4th skip shift block that the V8 manual does.

Sounds like this V6 manual needs to have the dealer look at it. For the most part, what you have said has been experienced by multiple people with the V6 M6 combo, including myself. Get your dealer to reproduce the issue then have them call GM for further instructions on what to do next.
Are the noises that the OP was talking about normal though?
larryt1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Six-Demon Bag

Its weird, the clunking noise seems to be intermittent. But the clutch clatter when im in first I can make happen almost all of the time. I also found a service bulletin for the other issue im experiencing (difficulty shifting into 2nd/4th so I will be taking that with me to the dealership this Saturday. We shall see!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryt1026 View Post
Are the noises that the OP was talking about normal though?
These?

Quote:
This clunking noise coming from underneath the car when leaving from a stop light (1st to 3rd) and now I get this clatter when putting the clutch in if im driving slowly in first gear (ex. in parking lots).
Quite possibly. Depends on whether the sounds are the result of the drive line "slack" or something else. The drive line slack sounds (usually sounds like a "clunk") are the caused by the multiple flex points from the transmission to the wheels. The drive shaft is a 2 piece unit so you have a U-joint in the middle instead of at either end. The rear end has two half shafts instead of a solid axle so you have additional motion there. If you load up the drive line (drive shaft plus rear half shafts) then suddenly push the clutch in, you take all of the tension off all the components. Same thing when you let the clutch out too quickly but you put tension on everything quickly so any slack in the system is quickly removed, hence the noise. This is fairly common on cars with an independent rear suspension and a manual transmission but if you think somethings not right, then get your dealer to check it out and confirm.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Six-Demon Bag

Thanks for the info (and explaining it) Just to be sure I am going to bring it in. Im sure its nothing but you never know.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I have heard a "clunk" every once in a while but nothing like what you are describing. basically its more when i'm being dumb and try and put it in first while coasting to a stop at a red light for example.

good luck and keep us posted

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
I haven't experienced the "blocking" you describe. You need to take it in. My 2nd gear used to be tight, or required more effort, but after the first few thousand miles it loosened up nicely. No problems pulling it into 2nd at high rpm's.