Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
jcmG8

Drives: G8GT
Intercooler radiator dimensions

Looking to use a ZL1 intercooler radiator (pn 22879421 (item 20)) in a G8 to support a ZL1 supercharger installation. Can someone take measurements of the radiator for me? I was able to get measurements of the box it ships in which helps, but need the actual measure of the radiator itself. The local dealer does not have any ZL1's in stock for me to visit.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
kwhizz

Drives: 60's Muscle
1 1/2 x 12 1/2 x 24"
kwhizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Matt@510
Account Suspended

Drives: c6 vette cam & full bolt-ons
why use the stock gm heat exchanger when the aftermarket is full of great units for th esame money (or cheaper) as the stock unit. plus with the aftermarket units they vary in size you can choose the one that will fit your application best.
Matt@510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
jcmG8

I have searched the internet for the IC radiator as well as forums. There are a few who have done the same conversion of a LSA into a G8. One gent shoehorned a 26 wide, and it looks like customized the fill port into a nipple (welded). Other option is to use the same as magnacharger until you find they want $500 for it. Ideally, I'd like to get about 20x12x2 - have not been able to locate, which leads me to the ZL1 unit. At 24 wide+nipple, I know I can make it work but may be tight. I also know it's BTU capacity will be ok for stock output and, it's<$130 to my porch. I would pay a little more for a better fit,but not 350 more.

If you have something, links etc...let me know!

here are IC rad intall images for reference:
Magnuson rad:

EBAY 26 wide unit (look a nipple on top)
Old 12-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Matt@510
Account Suspended

i would think the d3 performance engineering unit should fit no prob as the g8 and camaro have so much in common.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
jcmG8

this one? is nice, but $800.

I still have some time, will keep looking. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Matt@510
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmG8 View Post
this one? is nice, but $800.

I still have some time, will keep looking. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

yep that the one. this is what we use on our packages. it has almost 400% more capacity than the stock unit.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:38 PM   #8
ChevyGuySS

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
I have searched the internet for the IC radiator as well as forums. There are a few who have done the same conversion of a LSA into a G8. One gent shoehorned a 26 wide, and it looks like customized the fill port into a nipple (welded). Other option is to use the same as magnacharger until you find they want $500 for it. Ideally, I'd like to get about 20x12x2 - have not been able to locate, which leads me to the ZL1 unit. At 24 wide+nipple, I know I can make it work but may be tight. I also know it's BTU capacity will be ok for stock output and, it's<$130 to my porch. I would pay a little more for a better fit,but not 350 more.

If you have something, links etc...let me know!

here are IC rad intall images for reference:
Magnuson rad:

EBAY 26 wide unit (look a nipple on top)
do you have a link to the ebay one?

Kraftworks Built Forged 10.3-1 LSA w/ Ported/Polished LS3 Heads, Kraftworks spec Cam Motion billet Cam, LSA Blower/2.50 ADM Griptech, Lingenfelter ZR1 Clutch kit, Camaro SS 3.45, ProMotion Built TR6060, Kooks 1-7/8 Longtubes w. Catless Solo Connection Pipes, Solo Mach Shorty Catback, Rotofab Intake, Eibach Springs, G8Only Splitter with custom turnbuckles, 20x9.5 and 20x10.5 Sapphire Blue Forgestar F14, CTS-V1 4 Piston Brembos/w SS lines
ChevyGuySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:36 AM   #9
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
You may want to check the Holden HSV GTS since it uses the LSA in Australia as a factory installed package to get an idea if it's locally sourced or not but to also get dimensions of what you're looking for.

http://www.hsv.com.au/Gen-F/see/GTS/
Old 08-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #10
jcmG8

I ended up going with a ZL1 IC rad. While I wanted a IC rad to fit, I also wanted to keep the stock crash bar intact and squirt tank location. I have not missed the squirts at all in the last 18 months, and the bar is still in it's stock location. I did have a contact in Au to chase the GTS, tough to get, was not cheap and shipping was prohibitive.

In addition to the ZL1 IC rad, I added a second rad under the crash bar from a 2012 Shelby (2" thick)

here is an image for reference, the final install does have the lower IC flipped with nipple to back.

Here is a link to the ebay IC I referenced (same unit). The one in the image in my post has been modded to fit with the cap replaced with a port/nipple.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #11
ChevyGuySS

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
I ended up going with a ZL1 IC rad. While I wanted a IC rad to fit, I also wanted to keep the stock crash bar intact and squirt tank location. I have not missed the squirts at all in the last 18 months, and the bar is still in it's stock location. I did have a contact in Au to chase the GTS, tough to get, was not cheap and shipping was prohibitive.

In addition to the ZL1 IC rad, I added a second rad under the crash bar from a 2012 Shelby (2" thick)

here is an image for reference, the final install does have the lower IC flipped with nipple to back.

Here is a link to the ebay IC I referenced (same unit). The one in the image in my post has been modded to fit with the cap replaced with a port/nipple.
I can see that you removed the washer fluid tank. Did you relocate it or just delete it all together?

Kraftworks Built Forged 10.3-1 LSA w/ Ported/Polished LS3 Heads, Kraftworks spec Cam Motion billet Cam, LSA Blower/2.50 ADM Griptech, Lingenfelter ZR1 Clutch kit, Camaro SS 3.45, ProMotion Built TR6060, Kooks 1-7/8 Longtubes w. Catless Solo Connection Pipes, Solo Mach Shorty Catback, Rotofab Intake, Eibach Springs, G8Only Splitter with custom turnbuckles, 20x9.5 and 20x10.5 Sapphire Blue Forgestar F14, CTS-V1 4 Piston Brembos/w SS lines
ChevyGuySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #12
jcmG8

I picked up a universal washer tank to mount in the left front fender well... buying it's is far as I got, have not installed yet.