Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Camaro10LT

Drives: 2010 Silver Ice Metallic 1LT Camaro
Need Opinions!!!!

Hey guys, I need some help, im looking to do a Cold Air Intake on my camaro along with a tune. Only problem is im not sure which brand to get, ive heard most of them thru youtube vids and seen a few at local car shows. So if any of u guys could help me out and tell me truly which is the better CAI to get i would appreciate it. And also if anyone knows a good program to do a tune with or maybe a local place that does it near the NYC/Long Island area. Thanks.

Current Mods: K&N Air Charger Cold Air Intake, PaceSetter Long Tube Performance Headers, Flowmaster American Thunder Axle Back Exhaust, 20% Tints.

Future Mods: HP Tune, Magnaflow Performance Cat Back Exhaust, Painted Stripes, 10% Tints.
Camaro10LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
vararam is just now shipping it's first batch this week. wait for those reviews. other than that, injen is up there as the best intake.

and trifecta is the only tune available for the v6 camaro
Old 06-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
From what I have seen on this forum, Vince @ Trifecta has the best tune available for the Camaro and just like PoorMansCamaro said, Vararam or Injen will give you the most performance gains. He beat me to it. Good luck with your decision.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
We sell a ton of Roto-Fab and Cold Air Inductions. We cut some pretty sweet deals on both and haven't had any complaints on either brand. They both make nice power and and do a great job dressing up the engine bay. Sent you a PM with some prices.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
MAGfuz

Drives: VR 2SS Convertible
All CAI will do the same thing essentially! The SRI are the one's still in the engine bay while CAI go down closer to the road.

Trifecta Tuning from Vince here is the only one!

TEAM LS3!
MAGfuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
vararam is just now shipping it's first batch this week. wait for those reviews. other than that, injen is up there as the best intake.

and trifecta is the only tune available for the v6 camaro
+1
Old 06-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Very happy with my Roto-Fab CAI.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Camaro10LT

thanks for the info guys, i think im going to look into roto-fab and injen and choose which one gains the most power and sounds the best as well. Now about this tune, how exactly does it work? I never did it before and I know a local shop that can install the intake, but i always though the car needed a tune along with the intake?

Current Mods: K&N Air Charger Cold Air Intake, PaceSetter Long Tube Performance Headers, Flowmaster American Thunder Axle Back Exhaust, 20% Tints.

Future Mods: HP Tune, Magnaflow Performance Cat Back Exhaust, Painted Stripes, 10% Tints.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
MIT'13

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT / RS
a tune probably isnt necessary for the intake. Also, even if you havent done much work on cars before, the installment procedure from some of these CAIs is rather simple. You can find a few instructional videos on YouTube, and it takes only an hour or two.
Just out of curiosity, why does it say K&N intake in your signature already? Also how do you like your Flowmasters?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
OOLIE

Tune DEFINATELY not necessary. It is very easy you can do it yourself. Just read the instructions very straight forward. Trust me basic tools necessary.

If you start getting into headers you might want the tune to make sure your getting the most out of it, plus there is some gain in the tune itself on a stock car. The ECU will self adjust to an intake on it's own.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
Camaro10LT

It says k&n because i bought a k&n intake and then heard from multiple people that they werent too happy with it so i never put it in, i instead put in a drop-in air filter by k&n and just never changed my sig..and as for the flowmasters, i love them, my friend has an SS and the first time i drove to his house with the exhaust he thought i had the SS. it has a real nice tone to it and was easier to install than i expected it to be.

So OOLIE, u put your Injen CAI on your own with no tune or anything and the car has no problems or error codes? I did a CAI on my Cobalt a few years ago and I needed a tune because it started running too much air and not enough gas, so I thought i needed a tune.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
OOLIE

No our ECU will adjust for it. CAI was the first thing I did and ran for 7 months 20,000 miles no issues. There is something to be gained by the tune, but don't have to have it. No CEL without
Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro10LT View Post
It says k&n because i bought a k&n intake and then heard from multiple people that they werent too happy with it so i never put it in, i instead put in a drop-in air filter by k&n and just never changed my sig..and as for the flowmasters, i love them, my friend has an SS and the first time i drove to his house with the exhaust he thought i had the SS. it has a real nice tone to it and was easier to install than i expected it to be.

So OOLIE, u put your Injen CAI on your own with no tune or anything and the car has no problems or error codes? I did a CAI on my Cobalt a few years ago and I needed a tune because it started running too much air and not enough gas, so I thought i needed a tune.
If your Cobalt had the S/C or T/C then that would explain why you need the tune after the CAI install. If not then it was probably a fluke. I had the same on my Camaro. It would go lean sometimes and be fine others. I think one other person had the same issue. Since I was going to tune it anyway I had Vince fix that. Since then he's had to adjust my MAF tables when I put on LTs (not expected) and with the turbos (expected), so I think my car is just funky.

That was just my long way of saying you won't need a tune.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
Man just bring car to me and I'll install the cai, don't pay someone for that, I'm in queens where u at?

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote