Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
MajikMD

Drives: 2SS/RS, 6spd, IOM, blk hockey
Why no ceramic coated headers out there?

Just noticing that everyone is selling stainless headers, which are plenty nice, but what about the benefits of a ceramic coated model? Drastically lower underhood temps...yada yada.

I know I could have them done myself...just wondering why nobody is offering one yet... Anybody found some?

Thanks!
MajikMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
slowerthanu

Drives: 2ss on order, 06 f-150
Thats funny, Doug Thorley Long and short tube headers are ceramic coated steel.
slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
White Devil

Drives: Summit White 1SS Soon
Read a long time ago on ls1tech a lot of guys having problems with coatings flaking and not lasting on daily drivers. Coatings are usually on lower grade steel headers, and when flaking happens the header rusts. The general consensus was not to waste your money. I see no problem with a good grade stainless steel header. But thats just me.

Edit: and as for the heat issue... it is my understanding that high grade stainless is a very poor heat conductor, whereas a mild steel header conducts heat a lot more. Mild steel headers are usually coated to reduce that heat. But on stainless there isn't really a point to it.
White Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:11 AM   #4
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerthanu View Post
Thats funny, Doug Thorley Long and short tube headers are ceramic coated steel.
x2, was gonna type this when i read the title lol
Old 07-09-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
I've never seen or heard of ceramic coated headers flaking. I had a set of Bassani coated headers on my old cobra, and they were awesome!

Either way, if I buy a set of long tubes, im going to have them coated... but it would be nice if they came that way!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
I've never seen or heard of ceramic coated headers flaking. I had a set of Bassani coated headers on my old cobra, and they were awesome!

Either way, if I buy a set of long tubes, im going to have them coated... but it would be nice if they came that way!
+1
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
White Devil

Quote:
Apparently it happens more in very humid climates.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Devil View Post
Apparently it happens more in very humid climates.
Salted roads; on the coast; etc. I've seen flaking on cars in my area too, and I live in a valley with no salt and am a hundred miles from the coast.

I feel that the coatings work, even with stainless. I had a couple sets of T304 LTs and I left one as-is and the other primed and painted with VHT 2000* Header paint. I also had set of Edelbrock stainless (T409) shorties that were ceramic coated and there was a good difference in temperature under the hood between the uncoated (even painted) stainless and the coated shorties. Given, there was less tube with the shorties, so that may have effected heat radiation, but there was a difference.

Will I coat stainless? If I had the money and no other projects on the car I wanted to address, would I coat? Sure. If I had more I'd want to do, I wouldn't though. I say, if you have the $$$, do it. Otherwise, on stainless, you won't really be permanently protecting the steel, so it's kinda' a waste, IMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Guys give me a few more weeks, our headers will be ready fully coated & priced similar to our 4th gen stuff! No need to pay double just because your car is new!!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
MajikMD

Drives: 2SS/RS, 6spd, IOM, blk hockey
Didn't realize that the Thorley's were. Nice! It's the under-hood temp reduction I was looking for. I have a set on my 71 Chevelle SS and they keep the heat IN the exhaust stream instead of radiating through the metal. I have a laser temp detector and the surface of the headers nevers gets more than 220 degrees. You can ALMOST touch them with the engine hot.

They keep the compartment cooler, which aside from performance, keeps your plastic and wiring from drying out and cracking over time.

Jason - I'm very interested - send me a PM if you don't mind with the details. I'm in Abilene.

Thanks for the input guys.
MajikMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
Guys give me a few more weeks, our headers will be ready fully coated & priced similar to our 4th gen stuff! No need to pay double just because your car is new!!
What grade steel are they?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
COuld Just send them out to get jet coate. Which Isn't that bad at all.
2009 Hemi Orange Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - 6 speed, Headers, exhaust, Super Charged,SMS Supercharger, 4.10 gears, stage 5 transmission, duel clutch, and the beast under the hood A 440 CI 7.2 LITER HEMI
On order victory Red 2ss RS Camaro, Parts already received ARH Headers, SLP loud Mouth I exhaust, waiting for Vortech SuperCharger.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #13
o2camaross

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
you just brought a smile to my face sir
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #14
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:

I have a $500 dollar set of Super Comps from Hooker for my 74 Z28 that looked like @$$ after one year and you should see them now after 10 years, "Total Crap"... If I was to buy ceramic again, and that's a big "IF" I would have JET HOT coat them...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote