Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #29
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Other than regular oil changes, the one fluid that I would suggest changing is the
rear dif fluid. I did mine @ 2 years and 17,000 miles. The magnetic plugs had a half
inch of metal shavings (looked like silver paint) attached to both of them.
I think you were looking at the friction additive. It looks like that and is normal.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #30
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
If you ask me, and that's only if you ask I'd say the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on you.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #31
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
When one goes to Jiffy Lube/ Econo-Lube/ Perp Boys/ or any other chain auto maintenence place, one needs to be aware that they don't make much money off of the "great deals" offered on the signs out front or in the mailer you received. But, if they can get you INTO the store, bet on this: They will discover a LOT of dire issues with your vehicle. You MIGHT, if you are lucky, be able to limp home, and m a y b e get a few more miles out it, but, pretty much, very very soon the wheels will fall off, the brakes will fail, and there will probably be a fiery explosion... unless you get the recommended repairs/ maintenence done now. Plus, they are very concerned about YOUR safety, so they would sleep better knowing that if you would please just shell out $300 right now, they can fix what ails your car. And THAT $300 will be PURE profit, since they probably won't do a damn thing except for write in on the invoice, and charge you for it.

And, dealerships are often the same way... whenever I go into the dealership where I bought my Camaro, the ass at the service desk urgently informs me that I am WAY overdue for certain services... and, by "overdue," what he means is that the service manual suggests a certain mileage interval for services, but mentions that if the car sees hard use, that the mileage should be cut in half... he does that, and then cuts THAT in half, just to be safe. So, basically, any 100,000 mile recommendation in the book is overdue in assface's opinion at 25,000 miles.

Fix what's broken, perform maintenece per the owner's manual. Anything else is probably just charity giving to the dealership, chain, or other rip- off establishment.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #32
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
That seems like a lot of unnecessary work/expense. I change my antifreeze, diff & tranny fluids every 90k miles (~ every 5-6 years). Brake fluid gets changed when it gets dark (~ every 3 years). Oil changes vary but typically my OHC engines get oil changes every 3k miles but my OHC engines get oil changes every 6k miles or so.

I've driven many of my cars/trucks passed 200k miles with no engine/transmissions issues.

My sister took her perfectly running Lexus in for scheduled service (90K or 120K miles I think) & paid over $4,000. I asked her what they did & she didn't know/didn't care. Some dealers really take advantage of customers.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #33
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
If they thought anyone would believe it they would tell you to do everything listed at every..3,000 miles.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #34
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
Thanks for all the advice, peeps. Now it looks like I can use that money on 4.11s instead.

I think I'll let them do the brake/clutch fluid and bleed (and of course the free mobil 1 oil change-that service contract will damned near pay for itself in these alone). Since I did the diff already and plan on gears I'll skip that, otherwise I would. I just spent $1600 on tires a couple of weeks ago so this is a relief.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #35
Camaro10LT

Drives: 2010 Silver Ice Metallic 1LT Camaro
Im at 65xxx miles. Havent done anything but oil changes. K/n aircharger filter gets cleaned roughly 2-3times a year. N thats about all ive done. V6 automatic. So i guess i should probably do some maintenence

Current Mods: K&N Air Charger Cold Air Intake, PaceSetter Long Tube Performance Headers, Flowmaster American Thunder Axle Back Exhaust, 20% Tints.

Future Mods: HP Tune, Magnaflow Performance Cat Back Exhaust, Painted Stripes, 10% Tints.
Camaro10LT is offline   Reply With Quote